2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

fake it till you make it

I'm in again this year.

Jen, I'm running in the same race as you again. I suspect you'll be ahead of me this time, since I'm already starting out with a cold that wont quit, and a sore shoulder. Don't know what's causing that, but I suspect it's just age creeping up on me. (as Jeff Goldblum said, "faster! must go faster!") 

Clive, I'm in for Boston. will try for a 3:20-ish too. Thanks for running this thread, again.

(by the way, you have my twin cities time from last year too optimistic; I believe my time was a 3:21:56)

Hey I'd be thrilled to be running anywhere near your finish time.  From the looks of your training log  you've kept up a great base since TCM.  Did you know that the treadmills on the upper level at the DAHLC (the iFit ones) have the last 6 miles of Boston programmed in? 

Rozzie- congrats on the HM PR!  

northernman

Fight The Future

Did you know that the treadmills on the upper level at the DAHLC (the iFit ones) have the last 6 miles of Boston programmed in? 

!  

Did not know that. That is very cool! Will have to give it a try.

Way to go Rozzie, sounds like progress. What's your FM goal?

I churned out another 7 miles today, with some MP thrown in for the last couple miles. Yum. 

Thanks!

BQ is sub 3:40 but I am pretty dern hungry for a 3:30.  I still have lots of work to do....

Did 8 easy today.  Trying to stay healthy for a full next month.  That's the big battle for me.  Healthy healthy healthily. 

DavidL - Hiya. Most people would probably need a bit more detail. Like, what were you doing before you started the pfitz? (MPW, long runs). Is 7km the longest race you're ever done? Another "detail" is needed. Or four or five.

Before Pfitz plan, I followed Runningplanet 5K Training Plan for Beginning Competitive Runners for my first 5K. I didn't follow exactly, sometimes I cheated. So about 20 mpw. My longest was 10 miles I think.

Before that, I ran on and off for about a year (maybe 3 miles 2-3 times a week). Well I didn't run for 3 months not running during 2011 Christmas period.

Yes, 7km is my lonest race. I just signed up another race 10K on Jan 5 to check my fitness level.

Yesterday I ran a 5 mile hilly course and today ran 11 mile hilly course to prepare the Blue Nose hilly course. My carves are killing me after my run.  Here is today's elevation (Max 460 ft) and pace.

Elevation & pace

MTA: I also tried Moses Mosop running technique which seems to use a lot of carves muscles. I applied some extra power when my feet touched the ground to generate power for a small leap, so my feet would always point to the ground instead of the sky. Am I interpreting correctly?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Hit a wrong button. deleted.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

David

You say you have a four week gap to fill...I'm trying to translate that. Do you mean you started the pfitz plan and then changed your race date? And you're wondering what to do in between?

Also, I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but are you saying you ran a maximum of 20 mpw until now? What IS the most number of weeks in a row you've run more than 20 mpw?

If you've never done it, then unless you're superhuman, do only base work for the next four weeks. And don't plan to do 60 mpw before your marathon. To be honest, if you've never done 40 mpw consistently before, I would work up to 40 mpw and stay there until your marathon. Build up your long run 1-2 miles a week, at least until 18 miles. But I'd really just forget about speed work.  Maybe I missed something, but a hard core pfitz plan just sounds suicidal. How old are you? How did you decide on 3:30? Also, try a half marathon as part of your cycle.

David, it looks like you've been steadily (and perhaps somewhat aggressively) increasing your weekly mileage. (http://www.runningahead.com/logs/0c84730a74f440c18d924e54acff9c74/reports/graph?e10=10&e12=40&t=0&x=12&y=20&zdg=2&zsm=12). I'd hold steady where you are now for the next three weeks, then cut back for the fourth week before diving into anything Pfitzinger-ish. Let your body adapt to the relatively new volume before you pile on more stress.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

David, it looks like you've been steadily (and perhaps somewhat aggressively) increasing your weekly mileage. (http://www.runningahead.com/logs/0c84730a74f440c18d924e54acff9c74/reports/graph?e10=10&e12=40&t=0&x=12&y=20&zdg=2&zsm=12). I'd hold steady where you are now for the next three weeks, then cut back for the fourth week before diving into anything Pfitzinger-ish. Let your body adapt to the relatively new volume before you pile on more stress.

^This

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Thanks CliveF. I have put the weekly graph on my log.

Next 6 weeks are still my base workout according to Pfitz's 55/24 plan. I will try week 6's mileage which is 42 miles to see how I feel. If it is too much, I will step back and work for a few more weeks.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I am intrigued by the prospect of going sub 3:30 but I will have to see how my spring marathon goes before tossing my name in the ring for a 3:30 attempt with Chicago 2013.

Watching from the sidelines for now.

Julia1971

Just thought I'd let everyone know that while my log is currently private, I've joined the Marathoner Dailies user group and plan to ramble about the daily trials and tribulations of marathon training there.  But, I'll still check in here every once and a while.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Just thought I'd let everyone know that while my log is currently private, I've joined the Marathoner Dailies user group and plan to ramble about the daily trials and tribulations of marathon training there.  But, I'll still check in here every once and a while.

If you are interested, we have a chat thread for 3:30 in the Marathon Race Training user group:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

xor

And before anyone asks why there's a Marathoners forum for dailies/chat and a Marathon Race Training forum with chat threads, that's probably because RWOL always had two different groups: "Marathoners" and "Marathon Race Training".

For the same reasons that smarties in the states don't have chocolate and the ones in canada do.

Julia1971

If you are interested, we have a chat thread for 3:30 in the Marathon Race Training user group:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum

Thanks!  I noticed but thought it would be weird joining another sub-3:30 group when I'll probably end up gunning for sub-3:15.  But, I wanted to join this one since a lot of the peeps I rooted for (and rooted for me) last year are here. 

Julia1971

For those familiar with RnR USA...  I have my first marathon pace run this weekend and am feeling the need to set a goal marathon pace.  Would you say the course is easy or hard?  I'm trying to figure out how aggressive I should be.  On the con side, there's the pull up Rock Creek and the rolling hills of Minnesota Ave at the end.  On the pro side, there's that long downhill on N. Capitol St and a lot of flat after the half splits off.  What do you think?