2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

Nice run, Julia!  That's a very good time.

I exceeded my marathon goal for 2013 this morning.  I finished the Chevron Houston Marathon in 3:26:13, my new personal best!  The weather was far from fantastic as it was rainy & windy, but the temps were cool.  I kept a pretty even pace until mile 21 when things started to unravel, but I held it together to finish with a new best!

Julia1971

Nice run, Julia!  That's a very good time.

I exceeded my marathon goal for 2013 this morning.  I finished the Chevron Houston Marathon in 3:26:13, my new personal best!  The weather was far from fantastic as it was rainy & windy, but the temps were cool.  I kept a pretty even pace until mile 21 when things started to unravel, but I held it together to finish with a new best!

Congratulations!  It sounds like you had to fight for that PR.

Thank you, Julia!  The last few miles were definitely challenging.  I was feeling cold, wet, and very tired.  I'm definitely feeling the effects today, but it was worth the hurt!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Nice job ramberg. I had a friend who ran Houston and said it was a tough day to race out there.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

fake it till you make it

Ramberg- congrats on the sub-3:30 and the new PR, especially in tough conditions!

Anonymous Guest

Congrats! I heard it was miserable out there. Well done holding it together.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Ric-G

Congrats Ramberg on the PR and toughing it out. Enjoy your recovery.

marathon pr - 3:16

Thank you, guys!

northernman

Fight The Future

Good job, Ramberg! And in tough weather too.

I'm starting to increase my long runs a bit now, and am trying to decide if it's worth braving the outdoors to avoid the monotony of the track. 15 miles this Sunday, can either be inside (135 laps) or outside (-10 with the wind chill)... anybody else here running outside these days in the cold?

spinach

I'm starting to increase my long runs a bit now, and am trying to decide if it's worth braving the outdoors to avoid the monotony of the track. 15 miles this Sunday, can either be inside (135 laps) or outside (-10 with the wind chill)... anybody else here running outside these days in the cold?

I am running outside up in the St Cloud area.  I will be doing 10 or 12 on sunday also.  Fun Fun Fun.  I am running a half down in Rochester next month, Are you down there?

northernman

Fight The Future

Yes, I'm planning to do that too. You mean the Lace up for breast cancer HM?

fake it till you make it

Yep!  I only run indoors if I need to use the daycare at the gym or to do speedwork as I just can't get good footing in ice or speed with 10 pounds of warm layers on.  You could run with the track club group on the weekends (misery loves company!)-  730 Saturday morning from Brothers and 8 am Sunday from Panera South.  The cold really isn't too bad, now the wind- that's another story.  I have done long runs in the gym but I have to break it up with alternating 5 or so each on the track then treadmill.

spinach

Yes, I'm planning to do that too. You mean the Lace up for breast cancer HM?

Yeah, I will be running the LUABC Half.  See you there.  Today i ran the Yukon Days 3 mile on White Bear Lake, yes on the lake.  Embrace the Minnesota Winter. I finished second in it. We were fortunate that the race ended before the wind picked up, or it would have been tough out there.

northernman

Fight The Future

Yeah, I will be running the LUABC Half.  See you there.  Today i ran the Yukon Days 3 mile on White Bear Lake, yes on the lake.  Embrace the Minnesota Winter. I finished second in it. We were fortunate that the race ended before the wind picked up, or it would have been tough out there.

Nice job! Congratulations!

I would have been too afraid to run on ice. I'm pretty old to be falling down, at this point.

We'll see how the conditions are next month for the HM. If it's icy, I'll just be jogging it, but hopefully it will be clear and cool.

foooster

hell in the 70s you ran to break 2.30 not 3.30

put in a 100 mile  week with a 30 min 10km on sunday thats training people

everyone are joggers

Some have only dreamed of going under 3:30, some pretty much live there but embrace the struggle to remain.  It's time for folks to plan their 2013 assaults on the 3:30 "barrier".

We are here to support each other in this shared goal.  Welcome and please tell us a little about yourself.  I'm Clive -- a long year of good training saw me go from 3:37 in 2010 to 3:18 in NOV2012.  I'm also one of the many people inspired by those striving so publicly to achieve their goals.

So post your target race(s); chat about training, races, and tweaking; and be sure to follow up with your results, good or bad!  (FWIW, the format used here is: [runner] – [date] – [race (location)] – [goal]  RESULT = _____.)

The original idea for this thread can be found HERE.

2013 Hopefuls for sub-3:30 marathons (unless noted, goal is sub-3:30):

ramberg_jk15 – 13JAN2013 – Chevron Houston (Houston, TX)  RESULT = 3:26:13

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ UP NEXT +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Julia1971 – 16MAR2013 – RnR DC (Washington DC)  RESULT = _____

Flinders – 16MAR2013 – RnR DC (Washington DC) Goal = 3:35-ish  RESULT = _____

Zenetanar – 17MAR2013 – Shamrock (Virginia Beach VA)  RESULT = _____

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ UP NEXT +++++++++++++++++++++++++

JenRosie – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA)  – Goal = 3:20ish  RESULT = _____

northernman – 15APR2013 – Boston (Boston MA)  – Goal = 3:20ish  RESULT = _____

Anonymous Guest– 05MAY2013 – New Jersey (Atlantic City NJ) Goal = <3:35  RESULT = _____

DavidLiu – 19MAY2013 – Blue Nose (Halifax CA)  RESULT = ____

pr100 – 26MAY2013 – Edinburgh (Edinburgh UK) – Goal = 3:15  RESULT = _____

Rozzie – 26MAY2013 –  Buffalo (Buffalo NY)  RESULT = _____

cpett – 22JUN2013 – RnR Seattle (Seattle WA) – Goal = 3:15  RESULT = _____

novastrider – 06OCT2013 – Wineglass (Corning NY) – Goal = sub-3:20  RESULT = _____

jedigunnie26.2 – 17NOV2013 – Philadelphia (Philadelphia PA)  RESULT = _____

In but not race-committed:

dallison

2013 Graduates (in order by time):

ramberg_jk15 – 13JAN2013 – Chevron Houston (Houston, TX)  RESULT = 3:26:13