2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

spinach

A 10 mile won't be bad, although if a storm is coming I would probably prefer the race to be cancelled so I wouldn't have to drive down in the snow.  I have run a lot of half marathons that ended up being shortened.  That happened a few times with the Winter Carnival half and also with the Red White and Boom last summer. I am hoping to go sub three in Fargo and this was going to be my first tune up/prep race this spring.  But if it is snowy or icy, I will just run it easy.

northernman

Fight The Future

Hey, I've done the red white and boom before. (actually I was wearing that t-shirt today for my run). Can't remember what year it was, but I do remember it being about 80 degrees and intermittently raining. That was weird to have a rainstorm heat things up instead of cooling them down.

Still not sure what I'll do if they don't cancel this one completely. If there is a chance of ice patches, I don't want to risk slipping and getting injured, and if there is snow, I'm not sure it's useful as a tune up race. A dry cool 10 mile race would be nice , though.

DoppleBock

I think I am right at 3 hour shape - I need to get 15-20 more seconds of fitness to leave no doubt in case of poor conditions.  Still running early season base building workouts.  Boston is not the goal, so no attempt to peak for it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Ooops - Sorry wrong thread - Where is that 3 hour thread at?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Julia1971

It's been a while, so I thought I'd check it since Flinders, Zenetanar, and I are up next.

Everything's going well overall...

I've been churning out 80 mile weeks for a month or so now.  Last week was a little rough because I had a 9am training class at work, which meant I had to get up about an hour earlier than normal to fit my workouts in but I did it.  (In fact, I hit a weekly mileage PR of 94 miles).  I'm going to keep the mileage up for another 2 weeks and then taper.

I'm feeling like it's time to lock in a goal pace for the race but I'm having two problems with that.  First, I haven't been able to hit anything close to goal marathon pace for those runs.  Part of the problem has been that it's been windy, but even accounting for that, it's just not happening.  But, the attempts are giving me an idea of what might be too fast.  Second, I haven't had a tune up race.  I was planning to run one today but since the forecast was calling for high winds, I decided my time probably wouldn't be a good indicator of what I could race.  There's a half marathon about two hours away that I can run next weekend.  I'm not thrilled by the idea of travelling for a tune-up race, though.

I hope everyone's training is going well!

northernman

Fight The Future

Hi Julia,

congrats on the  94 mile week! (without injury, I take it.) good job.

I'm with you on the annual angst about marathon pace. On the one hand, I've improved my times in each of my last 7 marathons, so I have an expectation that I should be able to keep improving. On the other hand, this week I tried just a simple 8 mile run with 3 at the end at goal MP, and I found myself breathing very hard for all 3. Not a good sign. I was going to run a test HM last weekend, but it was completely cancelled due to ice. There are no other races here in the near future, so I'll be going in on hope and prayer. I've never actually gotten a good prediction from a test race anyway, since I'm better at endurance than speed.

I think with your new and improved distance and lack of injury you should aim high. Is your marathon going to be hilly or flat?

Julia1971

Northernman, I took a peak at your log.  You've been putting in some nice runs.  Did you take some days off, or have you just not logged them?  I find I'm kinda flat when it comes to speedy stuff when I take off days...  So, in the past, how have you come to an idea of what race pace should be?  Have you mostly just gone by feel on race day?...  RnR USA is an interesting course, I think.  Overall, I'd say it's a net flat but the 2 miles of rolling "hills" at the end makes it feel like a hillier course than it is.  I have started breaking the course apart.  But, the missing element is how I want to pace them.  Grrr!

northernman

Fight The Future

Northernman, I took a peak at your log.  You've been putting in some nice runs.  Did you take some days off, or have you just not logged them?  I find I'm kinda flat when it comes to speedy stuff when I take off days...  So, in the past, how have you come to an idea of what race pace should be?  Have you mostly just gone by feel on race day?...  RnR USA is an interesting course, I think.  Overall, I'd say it's a net flat but the 2 miles of rolling "hills" at the end makes it feel like a hillier course than it is.  I have started breaking the course apart.  But, the missing element is how I want to pace them.  Grrr!

Oh, my log is not very helpful. I'm too lazy to update it very often (but I did now). (Also, my runs don't really fit into the standard topics. Is a 10 mile run with a 2 x 3  mile section at HM pace a tempo run or intervals?) Actually, i'm on a streak of 128 days, 1005 miles.

Today I did a long run outside for the first time in a long time. A little windy but not too cold. Great to get out of the gym for once.

Yes, I think in spite of all the careful planning, I just typically end up going by feel. In fact, at my last race, my Garmin went haywire and so it was certainly seat of pants running.

But I am thinking now that since Boston is supposed to be quite hilly, i will just try to match my best time rather than improve. (all depending on the temp, of course). Also, my mileage is a bit less than last time.

I'm really impressed with your runs - that's a lot of miles for the winter. You're going to feel a lot better and more confident once you start to taper.

Julia1971

Northernman, Wow!  That's some streak!  You need to log that...  So, this will be your first Boston?  I don't know.  The Newton Hills are tough but the rest of the course isn't bad at all, assuming it's not 80 degrees.  Smile  If you've got strong legs and are used to hill running, I wouldn't hold back...  I think you're right and I'm hoping I'll feel much better once I start tapering.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I ran IMS Arizona this past Sunday and finished 3:38:42.  Right in line with my sub 3:40 goal.

Race report here if interested

Now for sub 3:30 next winter.

You people have issues 

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Late jump into this thread, lots of posts still to read. Still, count me in. This is an ambitious goal for me.

Twin Cities Marathon, October 6, 2013.

Looking forward to reading the posts, and following the conversation throughout the season.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Julia1971

Another quick update...  As of yesterday, I consider myself tapering!  From this point on, all I have is one more long run and a few interval or short marathon pace workouts but nothing that should be too taxing.  And, I'm feeling pretty good.  Some DOMS from my last interval workout, but I'm pretty much injury free.

As far as a goal time, CliveF, put me down for sub-3:18.  I was initially thinking of a more aggressive goal but 1) I didn't nail any of my marathon pace runs and 2) I didn't get a tune up race in to gauge my current fitness - the day I was going to run a 10K ended up being so windy that I didn't think it would be a good test so I skipped it.  So, I'm not feeling very confident about where I am speed-wise.

Next up: letting the taper do its magic on these tired legs and keeping my weight steady as my mileage decreases.

Happy running!

northernman

Fight The Future

Duckworth - welcome, and good luck with your training. Twin cities is great (i just signed up for it myself). Be sure to include some hill training to get you through the final miles up Summit ave.

Julia - congrats on making it to taper without injury. You are going to have a great race. Let the taper madness begin!

I am planning to try for sub 3:30 next month. This will be my 4th marathon, previous best is 3:43 in Amsterdam. Hoping to do this on 28th April in Manchester, England

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Duckworth - welcome, and good luck with your training. Twin cities is great (i just signed up for it myself). Be sure to include some hill training to get you through the final miles up Summit ave.

Thanks, northernman. Good thing is that I live just three miles from the Franklin Avenue Bridge over the Mississippi River, so as I stretch out my mileage I'll be down there lots this spring and summer, and will spend much of the time between now and October training on parts of the TC Marathon course, including up Summit toward the Cathedral ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.