2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

Walk-Jogger

Congrats, Julia! You did an amazing job of staying focused and on task and getting the job done, despite all the aggravating distractions! Two thumbs up!

Retired &  Loving It

northernman

Fight The Future

Congratulations Julia! Very exciting that you made it, and at what sounds like a very challenging race, given the hills and humans. I'm surprised that such a big race would turn out to be so disorganized. Now you can take a well deserved rest, (and start to think of the next goal!)

Julia1971

Congratulations Julia! Very exciting that you made it, and at what sounds like a very challenging race, given the hills and humans. I'm surprised that such a big race would turn out to be so disorganized. Now you can take a well deserved rest, (and start to think of the next goal!)

Oh, you know I've got new goals already.  I still don't have a legit sub-20 5K.  That needs to happen.  Smile

Walk-Jogger

Hi Cecil, wow, looking at your half race and training, I think 3:20 is easy for you. Your last 18 mile run is already faster than 3:20. You may be able to do it in 3:05. good luck.

Thanks David; I'm a first timer and don't want to get crazy with my goal time, plus I'm a better at shorter distances. Remains to be seen if I can sustain long run type training without injury... I'd love to run a 3:05 but I don't know if I can hold it together after 20 miles. That's the longest I've ever run and it wasn' t pretty...

Retired &  Loving It

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Congratulations Julia! Loved the report - esp reading about your interactions w crowd and runners (sounds like the stuff I do and wondered whether I was a dork for it). So glad the bag situation worked itself out. Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera

Ric-G

congrats julia! nice job keeping focused. a lot of unknown variables can hit in a marathon and you did an xlnt job.

marathon pr - 3:16

Congratulations Julia. What a race! I don't know if I could handle all the stress. I can't believe you could still talk after 20 miles. Well done to reach your goal. An inspiring report!

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Congratulations Julia!  I enjoyed reading your race report.  Very motivating!  You showed great perseverance to stick with it despite all the pre-race distractions and an unhappy hamstring to kick off your race.  I admire your ability to fight through that in those early miles and finish so strong!  I wish you the best in reaching your new goals!

Julia1971

Thanks everyone.  You all are the best.  BTW, I added a finish picture to the race report.  There were funnier ones but I thought I would keep it classy.

I thought about running another spring marathon but in the end decided... I miss racing regularly!  So, I'm going to spend the spring and summer focusing on 5 and 10Ks and generally work on my speed.  Next marathon will hopefully be either Marine Corps or New York City.  I'm going to try to register for both (actually, I'm already in NYCM) and decide later in the summer what I want to do.

Good luck everyone!  Looks like our Boston runners are next up.

northernman

Fight The Future

Made it through my last long run today. It actually felt much better than my long runs this winter because I finally was able to go outside! Very exciting. The weather forecast had been for an inch of snow, but it didn't materialize, so it was actually very nice out - about 22 degrees with a light wind, and overcast. Trails are still covered in snow and ice, but the roads were OK, and not much traffic. Couldn't find a flat set of roads, though, so it was mostly over rolling hills. Maybe that will be good for preparing for the Newton hills, but I'm not sure if these were as big as the ones in Boston. We'll see.

Now just need to work on cutting calories to try to make it to racing weight before April 15.

Hope everyone else got a chance to go outside today.

Julia1971

Northernman, Congratulations on reaching your taper!  And, so exciting that the temps warmed up enough for you to run it outside...  It's hard to lose weight during your taper and carbo-load that last week/final days, so don't put too much pressure on yourself.  Hope you also have all your logistics done.  Lots to do for out of town races.

northernman

Fight The Future

Northernman, Congratulations on reaching your taper!  And, so exciting that the temps warmed up enough for you to run it outside...  It's hard to lose weight during your taper and carbo-load that last week/final days, so don't put too much pressure on yourself.  Hope you also have all your logistics done.  Lots to do for out of town races.

I think it's all worked out. Just need to find a restaurant in the Brookline area for the night before. I've heard there are a few in Boston, though, so should be OKSmile

One more week of hard training next week before I start my taper for Manchester marathon. I've done 4 races over the last 4 weeks and seem to have got better. I did 20 mile race in 2:40:08 3 weeks ago, was aiming for 2:37 but it was snowing and freezing, and the course was much hillier than the marathon one will be. I then did a 10k in 46 mins, but this was on trails and was very muddy - went off at road 10k pace and could keep that up after 7k. Last week did Wilmslow Half marathon in 1:34 and yesterday another road 10k in 42:39 which look a bit nearer the mark on courses that I think will be quite similar to the marathon course. WIll get a couple more 20 milers in before end of next week, then start to ease off the miles.

fake it till you make it

Tweaking/taper madness in full swing for Boston!

Modified my goals to:  A: (the stars align) sub-3:25, B: Sub 3:27, C: sub 3:30.

Northernman- are you ready & excited!?

Yesterday I had my first interval workout 10 miles with 5 x 1K @ 5K pace. It was very tough. Do you guys find it tough?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)