Shirtlessness (Read 854 times)

jbrooksswimmer

Hey all,

I'm a former HS XC runner, and I still run some on my own to keep in shape, but I have always been a swimmer.  So, walking around shirtless is nothing strange to me at all, but evidently at my old high school, the new athletic director has decided that runners must wear shirts at all times (guys and girls).  The old AD was the former XC and track & field coach, and had been a runner his whole life, so obviously he had no qualms with it.  What do y'all think about this?  Is it fair to the runners to force them to wear a shirt at all times - there wasn't any pressure for the team to run shirtless, if you wanted to do it you took your shirt off unceremoniously, if you wanted to wear a shirt you did, no questions asked.  Is it really fair for him to stop the kids from doing this?

xor

Is it really a huge deal to put on a shirt?

(for the record, I'm part Hawai'ian and spend lots of time shirtless and shoeless. But I don't see the big deal here.)

jbrooksswimmer

Not sure about that, but I do know that all I've read on my Facebook all afternoon has been my former teammates' statuses about how upset they are that they have to wear shirts - I think it's just the principle of it...and the fact that the XC team has lost its favorable standing with the AD.
        xor

You asked.  I gave an opinion.  Whether it is right or wrong, is it really important enough to get twisted about?

As for the 'favorable standing' you may have with the new AD, I dunno.  But I do know that making a stand about an issue like wearing a shirt is not likely to improve your standing.

It's a shirt.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Don't most XC runs take place away from campus?  Is the AD going to follow them around in a car?  I don't think my AD ever got out of his office chair.

Don't they have to wear shirts in races?  If they run the same workout with a shirt, at presumably slightly higher effort because they are warmer, won't that help in the long run?  Or would that cause them to over train?

Why is it sideways?

It's a shirt.

Sure, but that cuts both ways. The only thing sillier than kids getting riled up about shirts is grown adults and athletic directors getting riled up about shirts.

I say you all train your asses off, study hard. Win everything. Make straight A's. And train shirts off. Make the adults look silly for worrying about the wrong things.

Back in the day when I was in high school there was a hair rule that applied only to athletes. We didn't like it, so we grew our hair out and trained as hard as we could. We were the best team in the state. We presented the AD with a choice: kick us off the team for not cutting our hair. Or lose the chance to win a state championship. He went with the state championship.

Tyler S

I say you all train your asses off, study hard. Win everything. Make straight A's. And train shirts off. Make the adults look silly for worrying about the wrong things.

See the thing with your comment is that at my school we ALL get excellent grades, work as hard we can during workouts, and there is very little goofing off. Our cross country team is likely the most well behaved and "smartest" team in the school. In addition, we have won our conference meets like it's our job (it kind of is but you know the expression), and placed very high in the state and county meets. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason for him to do this especially when nothing negative has EVER arisen because of it. He needs grow up and get with the times.

FYI my school is 42nd in the country academically.

Prince of Fatness

Sure, but that cuts both ways. The only thing sillier than kids getting riled up about shirts is grown adults and athletic directors getting riled up about shirts.

Yeah but two wrongs don't make a right.  I agree with SR.  It's a shirt.  Choose your battles.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Yeah but two wrongs don't make a right.  I agree with SR.  It's a shirt.  Choose your battles.

Dude, if running shirts off is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Prince of Fatness

Dude, if running shirts off is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Oh, personally I don't care if people run with no shirt.  Hell,  if I thought that the public was ready for it I'd do it myself.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Well, I don't see "cut your hair" to be the same kind of thing as "wear a shirt".  Cutting your hair impacts you full time unless/until it grows back out.  This, in my opinion, puts it at a whole different level than a freakin shirt which you can put on or take off wherever you like.

Like I said, I spend much of my time shirtless and shoeless.  And when placed in situations that require or request shirts, I put on one.  Problem solved.  It's not a big deal.

As for AD needing to get with the times and grow up, well... er... sure, he may not be with the times.  I'll give you that.  I guess.  I wasn't aware that rampant shirtlessness happened to be a marker of today's youth.  But then I'm old and I'm not with the times.  But I do guarantee that he is all grown up... and presenting him with the fun "grow up!" argument probably won't do much.

Two valuable skills to possess in life:

1. Knowing how/when to make a statement and fight oppression.  And how to be yourself.

2. Choosing battles

Both are important.  Sometimes they are at odds.

Anyway.

Good luck with it.  Shirtlessness, long hair, and loud music do not make bad (or good) people.

But fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

I can't say I have a vested interest here.  I am currently not wearing a shirt though.

keeponrunning

Back in the day when I was in high school there was a hair rule that applied only to athletes. We didn't like it, so we grew our hair out and trained as hard as we could. We were the best team in the state. We presented the AD with a choice: kick us off the team for not cutting our hair. Or lose the chance to win a state championship. He went with the state championship.

Good for you!!!  I say heck with what the silly rules are about shirts, hair, etc.  As long as you aren't doping, it should only matter what efforts you make.  I personally would feel awkward without a shirt and only a sports bra, but if you feel comfortable, I say go for it. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Butt fat

MTA:
                            In the early nineties going shirtless for XC was fine where I ran.

August & September are hot & humid

Also:  haha! (re: below srlopez comment).

xor

Bdub's got back.

Our AD made the same decree for the girls on our XC team (they used to wear no shirt w/ sports bras).  They were PO'd for about 2 weeks, then realized the rule could only apply to runs on campus.  So they'd keep their shirt on for the first 1/2 mile of the run, drop them off on a teammates lawn, then pick them up for the last 1/2 mile.  Problem solved.