Garmin 201 or 205 (Read 609 times)

Darla1

My 201 just died. Tried to re-set it with no luck. It works on the charger but is completely dead when I remove it. The 205 is quite a bit more, besides the much more stylish design, is it worth it. Can't go with out my Garmin. Thanks!
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My 201 just died. Tried to re-set it with no luck. It works on the charger but is completely dead when I remove it. The 205 is quite a bit more, besides the much more stylish design, is it worth it. Can't go with out my Garmin. Thanks!
      The 205/305 series has a much improved GPS antenna as compared to the 201/301 series. Also, not that the 405 is out, 205/305 devices can be had for good prices if you look around. (Amazon has 'em for $199-ish). Definitely don't go back to the 201 now.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Froogle has the cheapest 205 at $125.95. At that price, or anything even close, there is no reason whatsoever to buy a 201. IMHO, the 201 and 301 are now officially dead as consumer options.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Darla1

this one is refurbished, that makes me nervous???
            Factory refurbished items are usually just fine. They're often returns from people who couldn't be bothered to read the owners manual, and mistakenly thought their electronics item was defective. Also, factory refurbished items almost always come with a full manufacturer's warranty. Store refurbished items are another story. I would probably stay away from store refurbished items unless the retailer was a top notch outfit. The non-refurbished 205's look to be about $20-30 more expensive, so if you're worried, you can pay only a little bit extra for a new one. They're still sufficiently cheap that, to me, the 201 just isn't an option anymore.

Darla1

I ended up paying $160 with two day air, didn't think that was too bad. Thanks for the advice, no sense going backwards.
                I ended up paying $160 with two day air, didn't think that was too bad. Thanks for the advice, no sense going backwards.
                I think you'll find the 205 to be a nice upgrade from your old 201. Be sure to get all the software and chipset downloads from Garmin's website once the new unit arrives. Depending how long your 205 has been sitting in the box, there are probably some fixes available.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Just wanted to add that I've been happy with my refurb purchases. Have an iPod, had a Palm PDA and still using my Garmin 201. When my 201 dies, I'll likely try to get a good deal on a more up-to-date refurbished model.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ringmaster

Darla, congrats on your new toy. Let us know when it arrives!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Darla1

I've had the 201 for almost 5 years, running with if 3-5 times a week, I have had such good luck. Then tonight I get home from work, give it one more try and it fired right up. I've had it here next to me for a couple of hours, working great. The only thing I can figure is I got caught up in a huge rain storm on Saturday. We both got soaked. Maybe it just needed to dry out. I'm going to try to cancel my order for the 205, but don't know if that is possible. My thoughts, I'd rather have two Garmins then none! Thanks for the thoughts on refurbished electronics. Maybe I don't need to be so nervous?