Anybody run with a back fusion (Read 107 times)

Rod Staples

Just curious has anybody ran long distance with a lower back fusion?

Hoban-Jay

I considered it, but I figured it would slow my pace too much!

Teileen

I'm interested in this too as the docs have been wanting to get me on the table (for my neck) since 2012 ...

Est. 2006

Rod Staples

I had my Neck fused 21 years ago C5 thru & 7.  I have had no problem running with the Neck.  my back L3 thru 5 all need to be fused and I am a bit concerned about that.  The neck fusion doesn't have as much weight above it like the back does so its a chain of events once you fuse here then you gotta fuse there so I am a bit worried.  I'am used  to running 30 to 50 miles week.

I had a microdiscectomy for a herniated lumbar disc on May 11.  While the pain shooting down my leg disappeared immediately, the numbness and weakness continues.  Surgical intervention was relatively quick - my herniation stopped my running on March 28 and I was on the table a month and a half later.  Still can't run because of a pretty pronounced limp, caused by the numbness and weakness.  Trying not to worry that this could be permanent.  The surgeon did tell me it could take months for the nerves to fully heal.

I know this isn't helpful, just thought I would commiserate.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

I had severe spinal stenosis and a bulging disk at L4 L5. I went from running 50-70 miles per week to not being able to walk for more than15 minutes without awful pain and going numb from the waist down. I suffered with this for years and went through PT, chiros, multiple MRIs. My neurosurgeon had seen me a couple years ago and said I didn't need surgery so he was not quick to recommend the knife. But the final MRI was ugly and the numbness was a big problem.

I finally had a laminectomy, discectomy, and fusion at L4 L5 on January 2nd. The neurosurgeon of course said, "no promises" but told me that he's had a lot of runners return to marathons after.  After 6 weeks recovery, he gave me the green light to run. Start slow, start on the treadmill, and let pain be your guide.

I'm now up to about 20 miles per week, another 40 or 50 miles on the bike, and hitting the weight room 3 days a week and have lost 14 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I have no back pain and no pain, weakness, or numbness in my legs. You'll hear and read a lot of horror stories about back surgery, especially on the internets. Everyone is different and different doctors are better/worse than others. I had a GREAT neurosurgeon. It's definitely a last resort for when you exhaust all options. I'm just one example of a positive outcome. I honestly thought I'd never run again. Now, I'm actually getting stupid about running again and thinking about races and stuff. Good luck to you.

Rod Staples

Thanks for your post it makes me feel better already...

I had a microdiscectomy on L5S1 and was running 5.5 weeks later. Doctor said to wait 6 weeks. That was 5 years ago and no problems since. I had a friend that I used to run with. He had a lower fusion and was a great runner so I would think it is very possible.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

I had a microdiscectomy on L5S1 and was running 5.5 weeks later. Doctor said to wait 6 weeks. That was 5 years ago and no problems since. I had a friend that I used to run with. He had a lower fusion and was a great runner so I would think it is very possible.

This is very encouraging.  I know everyone is different, but it gives me hope.  I am 6+ weeks out from the same procedure and I am still limping due to numbness and weakness.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Rod Staples

I just had my lower back fused L-4 thru S-1 lots of hardware.  Has anybody out there come back with this kind of operation and ran a Marathon?

Bob S.

I know this is an older thread, but I just joined and wanted to comment as I had a spinal fusion in 2000 at age 36.

I had a cage spinal fusion performed on my L5/S1 and today I ran a HM.  I started running in 2009 to lose the weight I gained after my surgery (and quitting smoking), as I spent so much time after my surgery thinking that I couldn't do anything for fear of re-injury.

Today, I'm in better shape and more healthy than I was pre-surgery.

Good luck on your recuperation from surgery!

Bob S.