Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

Ugg, there's too many words up there. Can someone just summarize all that preferably in like 1 or 2 sentences. Or I guess I should just ask is it going to be actually useful when I go run tomorrow if I read all that? ...sorry for being snarky, I had two exams today and my brain's a bit fried Roll eyes
    Rich_

Can someone just summarize all that preferably in like 1 or 2 sentences.
      Sure. Mostly its your muscles, not your cardiovascular system, that determine how fast you can run. Forget all that VO2max, lactate threshold stuff.
      Or I guess I should just ask is it going to be actually useful when I go run tomorrow if I read all that?
      Focus on optimally training your muscles if you want to run faster / your best. How do you optimally train your muscles? Train at a wide variety of paces/distances/intensities (I recommend 6 distinct training paces), give yourself sufficient recovery between run workouts, add a bit of cross training / strength training, and eat a sensible diet.
      Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
        Sure. Mostly its your muscles, not your cardiovascular system, that determine how fast you can run. Forget all that VO2max, lactate threshold stuff. Focus on optimally training your muscles if you want to run faster / your best. How do you optimally train your muscles? Train at a wide variety of paces/distances/intensities (I recommend 6 distinct training paces), give yourself sufficient recovery between run workouts, add a bit of cross training / strength training, and eat a sensible diet.
        So essentially, you don't see any difference in training to what most coaches recommend. I still don't see where the ground breaking part is Richard. Never have with this power running bit.

Why is it sideways?

Mostly its your muscles, not your cardiovascular system, that determine how fast you can run. Forget all that VO2max, lactate threshold stuff.
          I already did.
          Focus on optimally training your muscles if you want to run faster / your best.
          Okay.
          How do you optimally train your muscles? Train at a wide variety of paces/distances/intensities (I recommend 6 distinct training paces), give yourself sufficient recovery between run workouts, add a bit of cross training / strength training, and eat a sensible diet.
          So, your theory implies no practical training differences. Then, it's a matter of semantics. I'll stick to run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast. Makes more sense to me than the brave new word order you propose.
          Mishka-old log

Rich_

So essentially, you don't see any difference in training to what most coaches recommend. I still don't see where the ground breaking part is Richard. Never have with this power running bit.
                Viich & Jeff, My run training recommendations have never been completely revolutionary. They have always just been a little different from what most runners are familiar with - namely, I recommend a lower training frequency, few or no easy runs, & a lower total training volume than conventional training recommendations. Different to a degree, but not that big a deal, if you ask me. Call it a simple refinement of standard training; a refinement aimed at runners with average running talents but one just different enough to warrant saying it is different. I didn't think that recommending 3 run days per week for those of average talent (vs. 5-6 run days per week in most programs) was really all that big a deal when I first came up with that recommendation 10 years ago, but some people thought it was completely crazy to even suggest something so radical. They were quite vocal about their views on the topic, often going so far as to tell outright lies and distortions about my training recommendations and to start a blog dedicated to calling me names. It has been interesting to note the overall change in general response over the years. With the success of the FIRST program in the past 4 years, a lot of the angst against lower frequency training has receded, to the point where some are now asking "what's the big deal?". But there are still a few who completely lose their integrity whenever I post something. While I don't think my training ideas are all that different, the part that has always been revolutionary is my physiological theories. My insistence that research data clearly shows that muscles exert the most influence on performance is a significant departure from conventional wisdom. I have never understood why some have such a fondness for the cardiovascular/anaerobic theory (really, is it so critical to believe that it's your cardiovascular system that limits performance in normal situations?), but that devotion is certainly there, with some seemingly ready to defend it no matter what the cost.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Few or no easy runs." Really. Huh.
                  Rich_

"Few or no easy runs." Really. Huh.
                    Yes. Radical, isn't it?
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes. Radical, isn't it?
                      That's one word for it.
                      Rich_

That's one word for it.
                        My response was tongue in cheek. I don't think it is particularly radical at all and certainly wouldn't actually describe it as radical. Those with strong beliefs about easy runs may view it differently than I.

Dave

McCain or Obama? Talk amongst yourselves.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I'm very new to this forum/website...but boy I can spot a troll when I see one.
                            PRs: 1 mile-4:46 (high school track), 2 mile-10:10 (high school track), 5K-16:26 (college track), 8K-28:26 (college XC), 10K-33:59 (road race), HM-1:17:13

Dave

I'll give you a hint. Its Trent.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Old, Slow, Happy

I still don't see where the ground breaking part is Richard. Never have with this power running bit.
                                My name is Large Richard and I don't approve of this thread. I'm thinking of changing my name Undecided