Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

Dave

He goes by Dick. I think you're safe.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Scout7

What if you LIKE running 5-7 days a week? I mean, sure, if I were actually into triathlons, I might consider running less. But I hate swimming laps, and bikes bore me. So easy running IS my cross-training.
      Rich_

What if you LIKE running 5-7 days a week? I mean, sure, if I were actually into triathlons, I might consider running less. But I hate swimming laps, and bikes bore me. So easy running IS my cross-training.
        Great question. Run as much as you like and as your body can handle. If you like running 5-7 days per week and several easy runs each week allow you to run at that frequency, then have at it. Those additional days of easy run aren't really going to make a measurable difference in your running performance (unless you happen to be significantly above average in the talent department), but if your just want to run a lot, does it really matter? Of course, if the additional running results in injury, then it's not such a good idea.
        Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner

Prince of Fatness

Ugh. This thread makes my brain bleed.

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

Great question. Run as much as you like and as your body can handle. If you like running 5-7 days per week and several easy runs each week allow you to run at that frequency, then have at it. Those additional days of easy run aren't really going to make a measurable difference in your running performance (unless you happen to be significantly above average in the talent department), but if your just want to run a lot, does it really matter? Of course, if the additional running results in injury, then it's not such a good idea.
            I don't think I am overly talented, but I found that running a lot gave me significant gains in all distances.
              I think what he is saying is that you can run whatever amount you want, as long as you use your muscles.

Why would those additional easy days make a measurable improvement only if you are significantly above average talent-wise? Scout admits to having no talent Wink, yet he has seen gains from that approach. Is he an anomoly? Or is there a flaw in the above statment?
                Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Prince of Fatness

Ugh. This thread makes my brain bleed.

Not at it at all. 

Scout7

I think what he is saying is that you can run whatever amount you want, as long as you use your muscles.
                    I'm pretty sure I use my muscles every time I run. Even on easy runs.
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

Please do not feed the animals.

Oh, God, Richard has found us. Prepare yourselves for silly arguments, half-assed logic, sentences that you could not deconstruct with a screwdriver, some weird passive-aggressive claims of victimization and, ultimately, nothing new except a spectator's view of the uneducated and pompous posts that Richard will provide on a regular basis.

Please do not feed the animals.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                          Scout7

These threads entertainment. Schadenfreude.
                            JakeKnight

Oh, God, Richard has found us. Prepare yourselves for silly arguments, half-assed logic, sentences that you could not deconstruct with a screwdriver, some weird passive-aggressive claims of victimization and, ultimately, nothing new except a spectator's view of the uneducated and pompous posts that Richard will provide on a regular basis.
                              Yeah. I noticed. Sorry for engaging it. I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, despite the earlier warnings. People sometimes change. Or ... maybe not. (shrug) Oh, and Scout: preliminary polling suggests that this lame-o conversation is costing you at least 5 points among independent swing voters. I recommend we have the aforementioned swing voters terminated at your earliest convenience.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Scout7

Oh, and Scout: preliminary polling suggests that this lame-o conversation is costing you at least 5 points among independent swing voters. I recommend we have the aforementioned swing voters terminated at your earliest convenience.
                                Engaging in this conversation is one of my torture methods. Look at all the cries of anguish so far. I'm weakening my opposition the same way dames weaken the legs.