USATF Proposes Helmet Rule (Read 581 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From : http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2008/04/usatf-proposes.html April 01, 2008 USATF Proposes Helmet Rule Helmet If USA Track & Field has its way, we could all be wearing helmets in our next 5-K or marathon. (Well, at least the larger ones.) A proposed amendment to the 2009 Rules of Competition, being debated by the governing body's Long Distance Running Division, states that... Persons in any USATF-sanctioned running event with 500 or more participants shall be required to wear a protective helmet that meets or exceeds the CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission) standards, as set by the federal government. The helmet must be securely fastened to the participant's head and must not block or impair the participant's field of vision. The helmet must be worn at all times during the event. Failure to adhere to any of these requirement will result in penalties up to and including disqualification. Delegates to this year's USATF convention will debate and vote on the measure when they meet in November. In a statement, the governing body said it was acting out a concern for runners' safety -- and in recognition of liability fears. "Races are getting more and more crowded," said USATF spokeswoman Isabella Adler in a recent conference call with reporters. "It's only a matter of time before someone gets jostled, falls, and hits their head on a curb. If that happens, the race director has blood on his hands -- literally." Adler suggested that runners might look to cycling helmets, if the rule is approved. With advances in technology and design, Adler noted, today's helmets are light, comfortable, and well-ventilated. "You hardly know you're wearing a helmet at all," she said, noting that she has taken several "test runs" while wearing a cycling helmet made by Bell. Officials drew parallels between the helmet mandate and USATF's earlier rule banning headphones and portable music devices in races. "Just like with the headphone rule," said Adler, "it's a simple matter of safety."
    mattw1970

Injured

Haha April Fools! Big grin
      INJURED

Go Pre!

Haha April Fools! Big grin
        truly - I started reading it thinking, if I ever find her, I will maim her!