2-way advice (Read 559 times)

Maybe this should be in the "Off The Beaten Path" section, but since it is a gear question, I'm posting here. I have 3 very hard to buy for children. They don't play with toys, I don't allow video games & very little tv & they have everything else the spoiled brats could need!! Big grin Anyways, all 3 enjoy the outdoors & we try to get things that will keep them outside (ok, so it isn't all about exercise & fresh air, I just like the freakin' peace & quiet!!). My dad had the wonderful idea of 2-way radios. They could each have one to talk to each other while tromping around in the woods, which makes exploring games way more fun, right? Then there is the mother in me that enjoys the idea of having an extra in the house to monitor their activities, and to call them in when needed. I won't, of course, admit to listening to all transmissions... Roll eyes We have an extra Nextel that sits in the house, but I just don't trust them with a cell in the woods!! So my question is, does anyone have advice regarding a decent, durable, yet inexpensive 2-way radio? They are always on the 20 acres of our 35 that is closest to the house, but frequently in the woods or in the barn. They don't need to be the highest quality, just enough for a few energetic explorers to have a conversation and for mom to rein them in! And as I said, inexpensive would be great!! Thanks everyone, I appreciate any advice you have! Smile Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3

Dog-Love

We have a set by Motorola that has been fine. We have let the kids go skiing on their own (here in Juneau) when they were 10 and 12 as long as we were all connected. We could get them within 3 miles and these are good for 5 miles. Really reliable. At Costco...they have a set of three for 65 bucks or so.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        We had two different sets. They all work pretty good, i think. We have also managed to lose 2 of them. The brands are generally interchangeable. For kids, keep it inexpensive. Look for wrist strap or clips to keep them attached to the kids/clothes. Also look for ease of use. And sturdiness when they get dropped Wink. I liked the motorola ones we had, since they were simple to figure out.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Dog-Love

Its really hilarious when you are up on a skilift and you here some kid (could be your own) saying "Mom...Mom...can you go to channel 14?" Then there are all thes women "Is that you Ben ...Is that you Devon? Is that you Bobbie? Make sure they know to call you by some code name...Mine is Crab Princess
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)