Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

If you are doing something as important as educating a child, why would you not take the trouble to provide them with truth. Evolution is central to biology. A truth that is acknowledged by the Vatican and a majority of Christians, and the vast majority of Christians with professional scientific training. Most Christians do not take your view, and would resent you lumping them in with your false beliefs on this matter. :-)

Therein lies the rub. People who don't like the consensus don't like their kids to be sent to schools where the consensus is taught. Most of us (me included) like the idea of the scientific orthodoxy being taught to kids... but who's to say that people who, for example,  believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure shouldn't teach them this? (Hopefully everyone gets this reference... if not you still have the pleasure of reading the books ahead of you Smile)

Of course if people deviate too far from what's considered acceptable child rearing then the state intervenes and takes the kids out of their care. 

If you are doing something as important as educating a child, why would you not take the trouble to provide them with truth. Evolution is central to biology. A truth that is acknowledged by the Vatican and a majority of Christians, and the vast majority of Christians with professional scientific training. Most Christians do not take your view, and would resent you lumping them in with your false beliefs on this matter. :-)

Generalize much?

Why is it sideways?

Therein lies the rub. People who don't like the consensus don't like their kids to be sent to schools where the consensus is taught. Most of us (me included) like the idea of the scientific orthodoxy being taught to kids... but who's to say that people who, for example,  believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure shouldn't teach them this? (Hopefully everyone gets this reference... if not you still have the pleasure of reading the books ahead of you Smile)

Of course if people deviate too far from what's considered acceptable child rearing then the state intervenes and takes the kids out of their care. 

We are the ones to say, if we don't agree with it. It's a free country. Folks can disagree if they like and give their reasons, too. We don't have to wait for the state to decide the issue--and actually right now in Tennessee, the state is on the side of the poor oppressed creationists. Why? Because the creationists have been very active in promoting their views.

The word "intolerance" has been thrown around quite loosely on this thread. Tolerance doesn't demand silence. What it demands is respectful disagreement and an attention to reasons. 

Finally, this thread is not about criticizing folks who don't agree with the 'consensus.' The consensus in Tennessee is that creationism is scientifically equivalent to the theory of evolution. (Less than 15% of Americans nationwide are willing to affirm the truth of evolution.) That consensus is misinformed and miseducated.

That was an actual question.

You came into this thread all defense regarding an attack that did not happen.

Now I'm not sure what you are doing.

You warrant  an answer...

Nah...I didn't really believe ennay's use of fundamental christian as an attack...maybe misinformed but not an attack.  The reply was meant to be more sarcastic and it didn't come through well.  I have read enough ennay posts to be quite confident she wouldn't attack anyone. 

As for the two evolutionary scientist things...it was supposed to be a creationist scientist debating a evolutionist scientist.

Jeff's post on the other hand was more irksome.  I may even have read too much into that, but the assumption that someone who isn't in line with Jeff's thoughts and beliefs are just stupid is really...welll stupid.  There are a lot of smart phd guys out there that look at the same data the evololutionist phd guys  and global warming phd folks look at and come to different conclusions...but I can't defend them to jeff either.   The personnal consequence of me being wrong about a 6-day, young earth view is that I may have denied myself some fun over the years.  The personal consequence of being wrong about evolution is much more severe.  You see, my belief is that if the creation account is correct, then the rest of the bible would also be correct and if I were to follow it, my reward after I croak will be better than anything here on earth.  If the evolution folks are wrong about us being evolved from primordial soup and there is no God, then the best they will ever have is right here and now.

Lastly, I forgot the cardinal rule - never engage in debate in platforms like  this about serious things.  (especially the way I have been writing).  And now it is time to disengage.

Should have just left it at:  We have been a homeschooling family for nearly 20 years and for us it was the best option.  I was career military and the constant moves would have been very difficult on the kids to keep changing schools.  We were able to provide our kids a much broader education because we were able to let them explore their interests, have great field trips, and other things that you just can't do in a public school setting.  It is much easier to do these things when there is only 2 or 4 kids than if you have to take three or four classes of 30 students out.  And in the words of Forrest Gump...'that's all I've got say about that"

Why is it sideways?

Please point out where I said that people who did not think like me were stupid. I'm not asking you to think like me. I am asking you not to undermine the teaching of the fundamental method of intelligence in basic biological science.

Plus, I am not advocating that students be brainwashed by the biologists. Only advocating that they get a fair shake at understanding the theory. After that, of course, they can decide what to believe for themselves.

You paint me as intolerant. All I am doing is disagreeing with you. In my book, that is a sign of respect.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You warrant  an answer...

You see, my belief is that if the creation account is correct, then the rest of the bible would also be correct and if I were to follow it, my reward after I croak will be better than anything here on earth.  If the evolution folks are wrong about us being evolved from primordial soup and there is no God, then the best they will ever have is right here and now.

Sorry - I haven't read all of this thread - but I must ask: do you believe that everything in the Bible is correct? (IE do you take it all literally?). Thanks.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

MrH

Generalize much?

What's your point?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

If the evolution folks are wrong about us being evolved from primordial soup and there is no God ...

This statement really demonstrates what an minority view you hold. The Pope, and a majority of Christians with a scientific education do believe in evolution. And they would also claim that there is a God. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Sorry - I haven't read all of this thread - but I must ask: do you believe that everything in the Bible is correct? (IE do you take it all literally?). Thanks.

as far as I can understand it..

This statement really demonstrates what an minority view you hold. The Pope, and a majority of Christians with a scientific education do believe in evolution. And they would also claim that there is a God. Smile

If I was in the majority, we wouldn't be having this much of a debate..would we....Wink

Purdey

Self anointed title

Do you believe that "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"?

I am a Christian. However, I take much of the Bible as a sort of allegory - like a set of guidelines by which to conduct my life. I also believe that a lot of what the Bible has to say is damaging. (For example the above quotation.... and the belief that there can only be one God... etc etc). Each to their own though - we all have the right to our own beliefs.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
                            2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
                            3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
                            4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
                            5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
                            6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
                            7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
                            8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?
                            9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
                            10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,

MrH

If I was in the majority, we wouldn't be having this much of a debate..would we....Wink

I'm not sure what is being 'debated' here The Dover trial, presided over by a right-wing Christian judge, concluded that there is no scientific basis for creationism and intelligent design.

Rejecting a significant portion of scientific knowledge because of your minority interpretation of Christianity is a shame and a loss... for both you and your kids. A comprehensive scientific education and religious faith do not have to be at odds.

The process is the goal.

Beginner all over again

The beauty of homeschooling is that your life is your own. Train when you want. 

Yes.

What is your preference?