Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Do you believe that "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"?

I am a Christian. However, I take much of the Bible as a sort of allegory - like a set of guidelines by which to conduct my life. I also believe that a lot of what the Bible has to say is damaging. (For example the above quotation.... and the belief that there can only be one God... etc etc). Each to their own though - we all have the right to our own beliefs.

If ithe bible isn't all true, then how do you decide which parts are not?  In your  statement about there is only one God...is there more?  Christ specifically states that He is the only way to God.  This was written by a witness...is this part false??  Which one of the Ten commandments aren't needed?  What is the consequence for violating a guideline?

Too bad we can't sit down and have a long and meanginful conversation, I would really like to understand your world view better...

Like MrH says...I am in a minority...and 'we all have the right to our own beliefs'

What's your point?

My point is that it is bad form to make sweeping generalizations without providing a few helpful links for confirmation.

Trent...you are too much...what a hoot!!!

MrH

My point is that it is bad form to make sweeping generalizations without providing a few helpful links for confirmation.

Helpful links for what?

That ... evolution is important to an understanding of biology? Or that the Pope considers himself a Christian? Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

.and 'we all have the right to our own beliefs'

I don't think anyone is arguing that. The point is whether that right trumps your kids' right to an adequate education. Evil

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent...you are too much...what a hoot!!!

I agree. Funny stuff.

I also want to go home and watch Monty Python's "Life of Brian"

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

MrH

I also want to go home and watch Monty Python's "Life of Brian"

In honor of this thread I'll have some halibut for lunch. I can only hope that it will be good enough for Jehovah.

The process is the goal.

This statement really demonstrates what an minority view you hold. The Pope, and a majority of Christians with a scientific education do believe in evolution. And they would also claim that there is a God. Smile

Seriously, why would anyone care what the pope says about evolution?  

I think it's  important to define what you mean by evolution,or what other christians say is evolution? Do things evolve? Absolutely, even ardent Creationalists believe species evolves. That is not debatable. IMO, the real debate is whether or not species evolve into other species (not to be confused with "kinds" which is the term the Bible uses) and more importantly if man evolved from other species, or if God created man in his image as the stated in the Bible. The other major debate is the age of this thing we call our world and universe. 

I went to a parochial school K through 8, then a public/secular HS and public/secular college. My K-8 school really just avoided the topic altogether. In HS and college there was clearly an agenda to indoctrinate everyone to evolution. and away from the Bible. Perhaps if the statements by teachers and professors weren't followed by snide comments such as "if you believe anything else you must be an idiot."  I wasn't convinced, it only made me more skeptical and want to find better answers.  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Christ specifically states that He is the only way to God.

Perhaps. But that part is not the Bible.

Rejecting a significant portion of scientific knowledge because of your minority interpretation of Christianity is a shame and a loss... for both you and your kids. A comprehensive scientific education and religious faith do not have to be at odds.

I don't feel we rejected any scientific knowledge.  We studied geology, biology, chemistry and really got into physics.  We just disagree with some of the interpretations some folks have of what certain things mean...for example, the fossil record or how the Grand Canyon got made.  My youngest was going to study geology from a college that taught both creation and evolution.  That way, the students could see the arguments from both perspectives and determine which one had merit.  We would never think that science is at odds with religion.  God is a god of order and laws...physics for example, is full of laws...so is chemistry...for us, science and religion go hand in hand...and the more we study science, the more we are in awe of God and what he created.

It is just a different world view than a lot of folks have..and that is okay...

John 14:6   "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

depends on how you take John 1:  1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning

Prince of Fatness

Does anyone home school?  When do you train?

My wife and I didn't home school our children, but I will offer a suggestion on the when to train part....

I don't see home schooling as different than any other family responsibility in that it is time blocked out that you cannot run.  Same as having a job, carting the kids around to social activities, sports, etc.

Organize each day and block out times that you can run.  This may involve sacrificing some things (other than family obligations) such as other hobbies, or sleep for that matter.  It may involve making deals with your spouse.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

depends on how you take John 1:  1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning

John 1:1 is also not part of the Bible.  All that stuff was written after the Bible.