Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Tramps

Oh, I knew a thread on homeschooling was gonna end up here.

Coincidentally, in today's news: a faith-based life is a powerful thing.

Be safe. Be kind.

If the central idea in intelligent design is that DNA, and the other forces in the universe, are so complex that they could not have occured randomly, then where did the being that is intelligent enough to design all these complexities come from? Wouldn't some being even more intelligent have to design him/her/it, then another before it, etc? Not trying to be argumentative, I just never heard any IDers explain this.

Your question really boils down to - how can we understand eternity?  Creationists believe that there is a God who has always been.  This requires faith, and accepting that there are some things (comprehension of eternity past) beyond our comprehension.  If God didn't always exist, and something created him, who created that something?  Each answer produces the same question - how did it all start? 

The alternative to this, those who don't believe in God, also have a tough question to answer.  Where did the primordial ooze come from?  Answer that, and where did the thing that the primordial ooze come from? and so on. 

It's a tough things for people in general to accept, or admit they don't know or can't explain something.  I have found that it's even tougher for the well educated, scientific types.  

Good question... I talked about it, but don't know that I adequately answered it.  (Maybe it's just that I can't explain it.)  Smile  

My wife and I didn't home school our children, but I will offer a suggestion on the when to train part....

I don't see home schooling as different than any other family responsibility in that it is time blocked out that you cannot run.  Same as having a job, carting the kids around to social activities, sports, etc.

Organize each day and block out times that you can run.  This may involve sacrificing some things (other than family obligations) such as other hobbies, or sleep for that matter.  It may involve making deals with your spouse.

So, it comes down to sleep, no matter how you slice it, eh?

As Mikey said elsewhere: There are 24 hours in the day, I pick the one hour that doesn't conflict with work and family.

Trent: You, sir, are the consummate troll.

I tend to care what the pope says, since the last two (the only ones alive in my lifetime) had/have brilliant minds and giant hearts. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Tramps

It's a tough things for people in general to accept, or admit they don't know or can't explain something. 

Not necessarily. 

It's called agnosticism.

Be safe. Be kind.

Oh, I knew a thread on homeschooling was gonna end up here.

Coincidentally, in today's news: a faith-based life is a powerful thing.

yes...this was and still is a very tragic thing

in a more philsophical thought...if my worldview wasn't right, why would I keep it???   Joking

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent: You, sir, are the consummate troll. 

Perhaps, but that is not in the Bible either.

And: I presented my honest beliefs in those prior two posts.

If you are doing something as important as educating a child, why would you not take the trouble to provide them with truth. Evolution is central to biology. A truth that is acknowledged by the Vatican and a majority of Christians, and the vast majority of Christians with professional scientific training. Most Christians do not take your view, and would resent you lumping them in with your false beliefs on this matter. :-)

Mr. H, I take you to be a pretty smart guy.  I don't agree with a lot of your opinions, but still you usually provide some basis for your arguments.

When you say, "Evolution is central to biology.", this isn't even the argument that is being discussed, unless you explain further what you mean by "evolution".  Evolution within species is observed in nature.  I don't think I said or implied that I didn't believe that. 

You say "why not take the trouble to provide them with the truth".  That's pretty weak.  You imply that there is a conscious effort to withold the truth from our children.  I think that you really believe what you say you believe, so to say to you, "why not take the trouble to provide our children with the truth" really has no meaning other than to give you a slightly veiled insult.

This "truth" you speak of that "The vast majority of Christians with scientific training acknowledge...", is not Darwin's theory of evolution.

Can you explain further what most Christians would resent, because by definition, a Christian is one who believes and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, so I'm at a loss as to where I presented a view that is inconsistent with that.

in a more philsophical thought...if my worldview wasn't right, why would I keep it???   Joking

If you're going to be philosophical, is a person's view of the world fluid and ever-changing or is something to "keep" or "put back" on the shelf like the insurance packages in the Progressive Insurance commercials.

Feeling the growl again

John 1:1 is also not part of the Bible.  All that stuff was written after the Bible.

Another example of why religion and public school are wise to be separated.  The Old Testament is Trent's Bible.  In my Bible, the New Testament released us from The Law described in the old testament.  So there is no need to try to interpret the modern meaning of Leviticus etc because that is simply historical text and those rules don't apply anymore.  Even within the scope of Christianity there are significant differences between denominations....and all of them claim to be based on the Bible.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

It's a tough things for people in general to accept, or admit they don't know or can't explain something.  I have found that it's even tougher for the well educated, scientific types.  

Actually, the well educated, scientific types got where they were by listening, by abandoning old views, and by learning from a variety of perspectives. The whole academic process means regularly submitting your ideas to well informed, educated, and highly critical peers. College professors do that for a living. It takes humility and hard work to survive that process.

Then religious people come along and call the ideas that survive that process "faith-based." As if we were just stubbornly clinging to the first idea that we had. Yes, this makes educated people upset because it demonstrates a total unfamiliarity with the scientific process, the academic process, and a disregard for the work that we do as educators. 

Feeling the growl again

Do things evolve? Absolutely, even ardent Creationalists believe species evolves.

Actually, this is not true.  There is quite a following of ardent Creationalists around here and I know a good number of them through a neighbor.  They put on an entertaining poster presentation at the orchard festival here each fall.  Lots of concocted, forged artifacts to try and "prove" than man and dinosaurs coexisted and all. 

I can assure you, they are adamate that once created, a species does not change.  AT ALL.  If it changed, especially if as Darwin says because it acquired a trait that made it more fit, this would imply it was not perfect to begin with.  Since God created it, this would imply that God is not perfect.

I did get as far as inquiring about the obvious imperfections in birth defects etc and got them a little fidgety before my wife started throwing elbows and made me be nice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

The whole academic process means regularly submitting your ideas to well informed, educated, and highly critical peers.

Peers who all-to-often reject or submarine work which contradicts their own, regardless of its merits, so that they may stick to their own preconceived notions.

Sadly even science and peer-review is political.

Spaniel, I've actually come across writings which pose distinctions between "macro" evolution and "micro" evolution. A decent presentation is made in Michael Behe's Darwin's Black Box. He makes an argument based on the concept of "irreducible complexity."  He made some good points, but does not ultimately convince me.

Actually, the well educated, scientific types got where they were by listening, by abandoning old views, and by learning from a variety of perspectives. The whole academic process means regularly submitting your ideas to well informed, educated, and highly critical peers. College professors do that for a living. It takes humility and hard work to survive that process.

Then religious people come along and call the ideas that survive that process "faith-based." As if we were just stubbornly clinging to the first idea that we had. Yes, this makes educated people upset because it demonstrates a total unfamiliarity with the scientific process, the academic process, and a disregard for the work that we do as educators. 

Jeff, I work with some of the most intelligent people in the world in their area of expertise, and have for 20 years.  Anyone who has worked in the environment I work in know how difficult it is to get engineers to admit they are wrong.  It is easy to talk about abandoning old views if you are imposing this on someone else.  What about your views?  Which of those have you abandoned lately?  It takes compelling evidence to make me abandon mine. 

You seem to imply that a person is either educated OR religious, but can't be both.  I believe that everyone has a bias.  It's tough to approach an issue with no opinion about it.  I understand your perspective that the intellectually lazy who just believe what they believe without thinking about why... are very frustrating.  Just because SOME religious people take this approach doesn't make their opinions automatically wrong.  It's not like the truth about a matter can be forfeited because one side didn't show up.