Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

The Theory of Evolution just isn't hard science - it doesn't pass the definition for it...as it is not reproducible...in a way..it is just another religious belief.  There are numerous evolutionary scientists that can go head to head with any evolutionary scientist in a debate. 

Your not very tolerant of folks different than you are you?

Please explain why we need a new flu vaccine every year, and try to not claim that you're being persecuted - it demeans people who actually were.

"run" "2" "eat"

See how you stripped the body of the animal from its environmental/cultural circumstances and posited an "ideal form"? This is a common way to misread the theory of evolution. 

um... no. i read his post like three times and then read yours slowly, but i am not following this. please break it up into tiny little pieces for me. preesh!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, indeed.

Ultimately, "fittest" is defined only as: most likely to pass on genetic information to the next generation.

Feeling the growl again

I missed the part in my hard science edumacation where something had to be reproducible or it was "soft".  All this time I thought it required hypotheses to be tested with hard data that that DATA to be reproducible.

Thanks to the modern miracle of rapid genomic sequencing, evolution is being studing in a miriad of organisms at the DNA level.  We can trace how single genes evolved, duplicated, and evolved again independently into new but related genes on the way from fruit fly to human.  Since the data and hypothesis can be tested again and again and validated through multiple strategies in multiple organisms, this sounds like hard science to me....

I can't speak for TN but everywhere I have lived north of there, this fundamentalist movement to teach creationism is schools is driven by an exceedingly small fraction of Christions.  Just a handful, really.  They are hardcore so they drive influence larger than their numbers.

As a Christian I do not support the teaching of Christian or religious doctrine of any kind in schools.  So which denomination's version do we teach???  This is why the founding fathers, mostly Christian men themselves, were brilliant to separate church and state.  If I want my kids to learn religion in schools I will pick which religious school I want them to go to.

Homeschooling is ok...I am indifferent...but I think that parents a) first need to make sure they have the capability to provide a robust education to their kids through whatever grade they plan on homeschooling and b) are doing it for the right reasons.  My neighbors (yes, fundamentalist Christians) thought of homeschooling their kids to protect them from "bad influences" in public school.  The problem is, you can't shelter your kids forever.  Part of growing up is about learning to deal with such pressures and make good decisions on your own.  Some of the biggest trainwrecks of human beings I have seen were people whose parents over-protected them growing up, so they went crazy when they got away to college and did not have the experience or maturity to control themselves.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Jeff, indeed.

Ultimately, "fittest" is defined only as: most likely to pass on genetic information to the next generation.

Wrong.  Fittest is the defined as: the winner of the race.

Oh, wait.  Wrong thread.

Runners run

xor

For those scoring at home, we have ennay to thank for this.

Edited to add: in case it isn't obvious, that right there is a JOKE.  Threads like this aren't really all that jokeable, but there you go.

"Ask me about my biblically designed training"

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Wrong.  Fittest is the defined as: the winner of the race.

Oh, wait.  Wrong thread.

No, no. The one with the biggest thighs wins. 

Why is it sideways?

I knew it would happen someday. We agree!

Ha. 

I think it is a small group that really drives the problem. But they do influence a lot of moderate Christians and introduce a kind of low-level soft skepticism towards science that takes work to undo. I see the effects in my students.

I missed the part in my hard science edumacation where something had to be reproducible or it was "soft".  All this time I thought it required hypotheses to be tested with hard data that that DATA to be reproducible.

Thanks to the modern miracle of rapid genomic sequencing, evolution is being studing in a miriad of organisms at the DNA level.  We can trace how single genes evolved, duplicated, and evolved again independently into new but related genes on the way from fruit fly to human.  Since the data and hypothesis can be tested again and again and validated through multiple strategies in multiple organisms, this sounds like hard science to me....

I can't speak for TN but everywhere I have lived north of there, this fundamentalist movement to teach creationism is schools is driven by an exceedingly small fraction of Christions.  Just a handful, really.  They are hardcore so they drive influence larger than their numbers.

As a Christian I do not support the teaching of Christian or religious doctrine of any kind in schools.  So which denomination's version do we teach???  This is why the founding fathers, mostly Christian men themselves, were brilliant to separate church and state.  If I want my kids to learn religion in schools I will pick which religious school I want them to go to.

Homeschooling is ok...I am indifferent...but I think that parents a) first need to make sure they have the capability to provide a robust education to their kids through whatever grade they plan on homeschooling and b) are doing it for the right reasons.  My neighbors (yes, fundamentalist Christians) thought of homeschooling their kids to protect them from "bad influences" in public school.  The problem is, you can't shelter your kids forever.  Part of growing up is about learning to deal with such pressures and make good decisions on your own.  Some of the biggest trainwrecks of human beings I have seen were people whose parents over-protected them growing up, so they went crazy when they got away to college and did not have the experience or maturity to control themselves.

Why is it sideways?

um... no. i read his post like three times and then read yours slowly, but i am not following this. please break it up into tiny little pieces for me. preesh!

This is the problem with social Darwinism: it implicitly assumes an form that evolution "would produce" ahead of the actual workings of evolution, and then criticizes social institutions for not producing that form.

Trent kinda did that by extrapolating an ideal human body as one without bunions and then assuming that evolution would work towards that, when there is no reason to assume that it would.

The path of evolution can't be predicted.

Prince of Fatness

For those scoring at home

Wait.  I thought this thread was about schooling at home, not scoring.  Scoring at home is a totally different matter.

And it is go to see that we all agree that Phil Collins and Ernest T Bass look alike.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The path of evolution can't be predicted.

Sure it can. Predictions are cheap. To appreciate them, it is important that you not overvalue accuracy.

Cf. any congressional budget office publication.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent kinda did that by extrapolating an ideal human body as one without bunions

Not quite.

What I said was that certain characteristics, such as bunions, would...

have reduced a person's likelihood of mating
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scoring at home is a totally different matter.

The fittest are most likely to score.

xor

The fittest are most likely to score.

NO. WAY.

Proficiency at guitar trumps "fit" and it ain't even close.

Feeling the growl again

I knew it would happen someday. We agree!

Fundamentalists are to the Christian world what our disagreements most likely are in the broader scope of topics.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills