Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The key is that individuals never evolve....

Some less than others.

"run" "2" "eat"

i revolve.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Obviously genetic fitness is not correlated to intelligence. Go to any marathon. Observe how many marathon runners are parents.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

w.r.t. "Evolution is a change in the gene pool of a population over time"

Is a single mutation a change in the gene pool?

(Serious question.)

A single mutation in one individual, or a single mutation in one gene across a good swath of the population?  No to the first, yes to the second.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Sometimes really smart people miss the most basic of ideas.  Christians believe the first words of the bible, "In the beginning, God created...." Darwin's theory of evolution attempts to explain how something that already was became something else, including the evolution of one species to another.  

"Intelligent design" is the conclusion that something as complex as DNA did not randomly happen, just as the words you are reading didn't randomly happen.  There was a design, a purpose, an intent, and because of that, there must have been a designer.

It's pretty ridiculous that the same people who offer their opinions on marathon training to total strangers on the internet criticize parents who believe in God for teaching their kids the same belief.  If you really believe you have the answer, why would you not share it?

So there...I got sucked into an internet argument again.  I should be in bed.

xor

I didn't see a whole lot of "criticizing parents who teach..." in this thread.  I saw ennay make a pretty reasonable statement which apparently caused a rift in the Jesus Force.

Sometimes really smart people actually get the drift of a particular idea and don't buy into it.  This does not make them bad nor necessarily stupid.

That goes both directions.

keeponrunning

This thread is a prime example of a non-running related thread turning into a thread into something even more non-running related.  Wink  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are you sure it's not divisible by something?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw

I think this explains public education...  J/K both public and homeschool education has their own benefits.  I find that I can see the difference between kids who are homeschooled being a bit more socially different than the norm and the public school educated kid who are also raised after school by either an older sibling or coach or TV.  My wife and I go with the public education topped off with a heavy dose of parent in the after school hours.  I coach most sports for the kids and my wife and I share the discipline (mostly me) and education assistance that they may need.  My kids can speak to adults and other kids alike they visit old folks homes from time to time and volunteer in things we feel are important.  We are going for the well rounded approach but as many I am sure we do find failures in our approach from time to time.  These are however good teaching moments for the kids to learn from and know that life is not always black and white but almost always a rainbow of colors. 

I hope you enjoy the above link because the first time I saw it I was rolling....

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Menace to Sobriety

"Intelligent design" is the conclusion that something as complex as DNA did not randomly happen, just as the words you are reading didn't randomly happen.  There was a design, a purpose, an intent, and because of that, there must have been a designer.

If the central idea in intelligent design is that DNA, and the other forces in the universe, are so complex that they could not have occured randomly, then where did the being that is intelligent enough to design all these complexities come from? Wouldn't some being even more intelligent have to design him/her/it, then another before it, etc? Not trying to be argumentative, I just never heard any IDers explain this.

Back to the OP......why not homeschool phys. ed, too, and make your kids run with you, or do some other activity while you run at a local track. Let them play in the high jump pit, etc while you run around. Several of the public schools here have been allowing home schoolers to take PE at the schools. This would give you time to train as well. Just a thought.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

IMHO part of the reason for this could be selection bias.  Almost by definition, homeschooled kids must have parents who are more engaged with them and spend time with them.  In addition to more direct adult interaction time, this could have a host of other maturity-promoting affects...more frequent discipline and correction, coaching, feedback, and overall involvement in their lives.

Public school will not have such selection bias, you have both kids who enjoy this type of parenting but also a lot of the disengaged, too-busy-with-other things or non-disciplining parents.

So it may have nothing at all to do specifically with homeschooling and more to do with the parenting.

+1...this thread got crazy after thisSmile

We choose to homeschool because we determined it is the best way to educate OUR particular child.  We are totally committed to do it even though it does involve more work than than private/public school options.  And yeah, we do it even though many people in our family (and church) gave us tepid support - at best.    

The method itself is no guarantee of success.

Some Christian parents believe we must send our kids to public school for Jesus.  Some secularists believe we need to send our kids to public school to serve the State (community, whatever).  Both are WRONG.  The great thing is that we are in a free society.  We have options which many countries don't.  Pick the best method for YOUR child (public, private, home) and give 100%.  After all, it's your child - and nobody else's.

(star spangle banner background music during this post)

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Why is it sideways?

After all, it's your child - and nobody else's.

Hmmm. 

MrH

;If you really believe you have the answer, why would you not share it?

Y

If you are doing something as important as educating a child, why would you not take the trouble to provide them with truth. Evolution is central to biology. A truth that is acknowledged by the Vatican and a majority of Christians, and the vast majority of Christians with professional scientific training. Most Christians do not take your view, and would resent you lumping them in with your false beliefs on this matter. :-)

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

+1...this thread got crazy after thisSmile

We choose to homeschool because we determined it is the best way to educate OUR particular child.  We are totally committed to do it even though it does involve more work than than private/public school options.  And yeah, we do it even though many people in our family (and church) gave us tepid support - at best.    

The method itself is no guarantee of success.

Some Christian parents believe we must send our kids to public school for Jesus.  Some secularists believe we need to send our kids to public school to serve the State (community, whatever).  Both are WRONG.  The great thing is that we are in a free society.  We have options which many countries don't.  Pick the best method for YOUR child (public, private, home) and give 100%.  After all, it's your child - and nobody else's.

(star spangle banner background music during this post)

very well said...+1