Classical Music (Read 649 times)

PDQ Bach.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Nice to see J.S. mentioned here. For those new to Bach, try the Brandenburg concertos, Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg variations, Pablo or Yo-yo playing the cello suites- all some of my favorite music. Just listened to Copland's Appalachian Spring= an American Masterpiece. ( I got to play bass in that once- the original 13 instruments version- great expierience.) Many good suggestions here- I might add some of those French guys- Angela Huett playing the complete Ravel piano works.  If you NW folks want to try somebody local try some Alan Hovaness.  Which reminds me of Arvo Part.  Betthoven string quartets........etc......etc....etc.... lots of stuff out there.

bhearn

, Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg variations, 

It's hard not to like Glenn Gould, but I sure wish he'd played harpsichord instead of piano.

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

Bach, Vivaldi, Handel and many other Baroque composers. I also like Classical era composers, such as Haydn, Beethoven and Mozart. I'm not a big fan of the Romantics and the more modern classical music.

Oh and I love opera, too. My first real exposure was when I went to the Salzburg Music Festival when I was 12 and I met James Levine. When I was in college I visited my dad in New York City pretty often, so I always made a point of going to one of Levine's operas at the Met.

I prefer concerti that feature oboe, bassoon, trumpet, violin and cello over piano.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

It's hard not to like Glenn Gould, but I sure wish he'd played harpsichord instead of piano.

You can always listen to Wanda whats-her-name.  I actually prefer piano- I'm not much of a fan of the period instrument style- I know it's histroically correct and all, but I like the sound of modern srings and pianos,  (I play electric guitar, after all)

bhearn

You can always listen to Wanda whats-her-name.  I actually prefer piano- I'm not much of a fan of the period instrument style- I know it's histroically correct and all, but I like the sound of modern srings and pianos,  (I play electric guitar, after all)

Landowska. The instruments she played were actually very little like historical harpsichords; they were really a lot more like pianos. It wasn't until the late 20th century that the real harpsichord had its rebirth.

I always cringe when I hear Bach played on piano -- but I cut Glenn Gould some slack.

I don't think I have a favorite. I like individual music pieces, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven...

Which radio station do you guys listen to?

I often listen to Classic FM online. http://www.classicfm.com/

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Landowska. The instruments she played were actually very little like historical harpsichords; they were really a lot more like pianos. It wasn't until the late 20th century that the real harpsichord had its rebirth.

I always cringe when I hear Bach played on piano -- but I cut Glenn Gould some slack.

I forget the author (Stravinsky?) who said-"A harpsichord sounds like two skeletons copulating on a tin roof."

bhearn

Ha. Well he was right, if he was talking about Landowska's harpsichords (although her performances were amazing).

have tried over the years to appreciate classical, but i struggle with it.  yet give me contemporary stuff played by a string quartet, and i'm all, well, ears.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Excellent choices here. I regard Bach and Stravinsky as probably the most brilliant of all.

Let me mention one I think is under-appreciated:  Poulenc.

bhearn

Bach's Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue on harpsichord

I like this performance quite a bit. Ton Koopman has a more electrifying performance on youtube, but the recording quality is pretty bad.

I like listening to this guy:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3226405788547

Luckily, I get to do that often.

Wandering Wally

I enjoy Vivaldi, Chopin, Gershwin and many others.  I listen to my local public radio station:  Interlochen Public Radio.  Minnesota Public Radio does a good job with classical music as well.  I am the treasurer for our local symphony so I get to attend several concerts per year.  Listening to the music performed live in a wonderful experience.  I would encourage you to check out a symphony close to you.  Many cities have a symphony.  If you are close a university, the options can be even better.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Listening to the music performed live in a wonderful experience.  I would encourage you to check out a symphony close to you.  Many cities have a symphony.  If you are close a university, the options can be even better.

Good point.  A live performance is a whole 'nother experience.  It can be inexpensive in many cases, too.