Classical Music (Read 649 times)

I just took my girls to see Handel's Messiah at the Naval Academy this past weekend. Very moving indeed!   Unfortunatley,  my five year old girl passed out about half way through it.   Poor thing was bored out of her mind!  LOL

God, I hope they like the Nutcracker better. We're seeing it at the Kennedy Center this coming weekend! 

- Anya

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

For the Christmas season, beloved in my family since I was a child:  Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors.  Fine for just listening although it's an opera, the first written specifically for television.

Playing it yourself is an even better experience. Well, if you don't suck. But you can't beat the directness.

impressive.  what do you play?

my continuing mid-life crisis resulted in a Rocksmith/Epiphone guitar purchase for the PS3.  i'm really, properly useless with it, but get immense satisfaction from the fact i can play a few notes along to the RHCP Higher Ground cover. 

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

And for the record, it's Franz Josef Haydn.

you say "Haydn, where's the tomato?" i say "Hayden, where's the tomahtos?" let's call the whole thing off Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

you say "Haydn, where's the tomato?" i say "Hayden, where's the tomahtos?" let's call the whole thing off Wink

Duet with a Klingon

bhearn

impressive.  what do you play?

my continuing mid-life crisis resulted in a Rocksmith/Epiphone guitar purchase for the PS3.  i'm really, properly useless with it, but get immense satisfaction from the fact i can play a few notes along to the RHCP Higher Ground cover. 

Harpsichord. But I'm not really that impressive.

bhearn

Orff's Carmina Burana is a great work, and I think it is well accessible for neophytes.

This is also a work that you find unusual interpretations of out there.

I quite like Ray Manzarek's (Doors keyboardist, sample here). I also have a synthesized version somewhere I ought to dig up and rip; it's been a long time since I heard it.

Harpsichord. But I'm not really that impressive.

mta hang on, i got harpsichord mixed with harp!

bhearn

mta hang on, i got harpsichord mixed with harp!

Yeah. This is a harpsichord.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Is it your harpsichord?

bhearn

Yep!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow, gorgeous!  We had a single manual Burton (from a kit).  My mother was the harpsichordist.

Yep!

was it a flat-pack assembly job?

kidding Wink

bhearn

I was thinking I would build a Hubbard or Zuckermann kit. But I found a wonderful builder, who was able to start right away. These days he's back ordered three years. Good thing, I don't think I really had the skills. 

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yep!

He got the colors mixed up on the keys.  You should take it back.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people