What are your hobbies? (Read 255 times)

DanB

Brewing delicious lagers and ales.

2013 Goals.......

kk_kittenkat

Brewing delicious lagers and ales.

I tried that once and the results were shit. What's the secret? My neighbour tried it and nearly blew my husband's head off with 3 glasses, so he had a slightly better result than I did, but it still didn't taste good.

Singer who runs a smidge

Barbershop.  I'm a Sweet Adeline, I sing with a quartet and a chorus.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

DanB

I tried that once and the results were shit. What's the secret? My neighbour tried it and nearly blew my husband's head off with 3 glasses, so he had a slightly better result than I did, but it still didn't taste good.

You really need a mentor to walk you though it the first couple of times.  There is a lot of small details that if not handled properly will lead to poor results.

2013 Goals.......

Feeling the growl again

Running, winemaking, vineyard/orchard tending, shooting yummy things and eating them, target shooting and moderate gunsmithing, and feeding trolls.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You really need a mentor to walk you though it the first couple of times.  There is a lot of small details that if not handled properly will lead to poor results.

so so true.   Fortunately I have (had) a very detailed mentor.  Have brewed 3 batches so far & soon to be a 4th when my friends hops are ready to use.  did not mention this as a hobby of mine because not enough batches to be considered a hobby.

+1 on the small details, most importantly of all is sanitation or your brew may be compromised by bacteria.  It's not a difficult process but all the steps must be done correctly & timely, no shortcuts.

kk_kittenkat

Thanks for the advice, I'd like to try again.

Village people

Running, winemaking, vineyard/orchard tending, shooting yummy things and eating them, target shooting and moderate gunsmithing, and feeding trolls.

I enjoy the products fo your hobbies but I need a better way to waste my time.

kk_kittenkat

I enjoy the products fo your hobbies but I need a better way to waste my time.

We have visitors this weekend so I thought I'd get a few local ales in, trying to show you a pic but I can't work out how to do it.

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Tim_Easterday

Mainly photography. I am actually getting paid to photograph some races now so it's nice to combine my love for running & photography.

kk_kittenkat

What do they eat?

PDoe

What do they eat?

Replies.

Dang it. Couldn't stop myself.

joescott

-- My stories about overseas with the USN are probably more interesting :-)  And I do love long runs....

A good friend and former colleague was in the navy and all of his overseas stories usually started with, "Well, we'd been drinkin'...."  They were always interesting!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I read religiously (being an English teacher, I suppose that is not a surprise), with a special place in my heart for hard sci-fi and fantasy.

I practice Spencerian calligraphy, and I'm slowly getting better at it.  I am a backpacker--just got back from Linville Gorge and need to update my log. I rock climb, and I built a bouldering cave in my garage. I do swim and lift weights, but that's mostly as a running supplement.  I'm re-learning to draw (pencil, ink) with a few books right now.  I play guitar, but mostly as a "campfire" guy--I have this tendency not to really play when it's cold outside, and to really only learn songs that would be fun around a fire.  I play video games with my almost-wife (8 days!), collect Magic: The Gathering Cards, and I'm also working on a couple short stories and planning a novel.

Writing that all down, I realize why my students, once they get to know me, ask how I have time to do all the things I'm interested in.  The real truth is that there's never enough.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek