XTerra 10K Trail Race (Nottingham, PA) RR (Read 450 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Feel free to read other, happier reports. Not a good day for me. I had had several good runs this week, so I was ready for a great race, stretched, and really settled into a nice groove over the first mile or so. After the first mile, however, the number of hills on the trails really came to surprise me. I did pass several people walking and gutted through the first several climbs, even though I slowed my pace dramatically. Miles 2-5 were mostly in the sun on narrow trail, so the heat and humidity became awful. Following the pattern of everyone else I was passing, I tried to run up the inclines partway and walk the rest before running the flats and few declines. I'm sure this sounds wimpy for the flying monkey fans/racers out there. As I passed mile 5, I was exhausted but decided I had two choices: keep breaking things up with walking or try to HTFU and finish strong. Choosing the latter, I enjoyed a short shady break and pushed through to where I expected to finish (mile 6.2). As I sprinted up a volunteer pointed us to a large field we had to run around before being sent towards the finish chute. After the volunteer was out of earshot, myself and the person I ended up running with for a while (a 21k racer that dropped out at 10k) both expressed our distaste for the heat and extra distance with colorful language. I slowed to a comfortable pace and remained there for the next .5 mile. Again, I picked up the pace as we reached the end of the field and pushed to where the finish line was. However, they routed us around another short loop before bringing us into the finish. My garmin finished at 3.85, and several oither Garmin wearers had similar mileages. Overall, a very frustrating first 10K. According to others, the course was tough. I love running trails on weekends but am severely disappointed that I had walking breaks on miles 3, 4, 5 and 6. The heat was also a huge factor for the day. Thank god there were some great veteran runners I ended up pacing with that kept encouraging me and telling me that I was doing well and the course really was "sadistic". Otherwise, I think it would have been even harder. This 10k completely suprised me at its difficulty and was very discouraging, especially after a week of great training runs. Even with the heat and nasty trail layout, my splits were not what I wanted them to be. I'm now officially worried about my ability to meet my goal and have a good race for the Philly Distance Run, but there are 8 weeks until that race, so I just need to stay focused and train, train, train. A few photos... Before the race and hopeful. Standing at the start line. The second sprint to the finish.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Hi Chris, You picked one crazy race for your first.. I did the 21k and nearly saw God. Pay no attention to trail race splits - especially in this heat. If I were to do a road race half marathon today, I'd aim for 6:55 miles. On these trails on this day, I averaged 9:35's. And I have NO energy for a race report yet. Smile Congrats. Marcus

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

The voice of mile 18

very tough day! good on ya for sticking it out - it was brutually hot and humid last weekened and that course doesn't sound like a walk in the park. be proud of yourself for gutting it out!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Prince of Fatness

The heat was also a huge factor for the day.
          That's the key right there. I live up by the Lehigh Valley and my long run over the weekend was over a minute per mile slower due to the heat. The humidity was horrible. Don't let this race discourage you. You'll do fine in Philly.

Not at it at all. 

Sandi Sue

Don't get discouraged when it comes to your performance on those Trail Races. Sometimes they are just downright brutal. It's all about surviving them. I ran in the North Face Endurance 10K in Bellingham, WA in May and we ran a course that would have killed a mountain goat. I was just glad to say I finished it without puking. Congratulations for holding your own. Smile

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever