Exercise Induced Headaches (Read 169 times)

Christirei

I am finally starting to run long (right now about an hour and a half) on the weekends after almost a year of discovering/recovering from/rehabbing from a hamstring injury. I remember in the past after a long run, especially on hot/humid mornings, coming home and after an hour or two getting a headache, sometimes really severe almost a migraine, sometimes just an annoying bad feeling. The past several weekends I am having the same issue. A great run, lots of hydration during and after the run. Good protein/carb intake post run, feeling good and strong...and then two or three hours later a headache comes on. Today was particularly bad and I had to nap and take a dose of ibuprofen for it to finally go away enough that i could get on with my day.

I googled for a bit about exercise induced headaches, but there doesn't seem to be any agreement on how to prevent them from happening. being well hydrated was out there, but seemed like most writers were just guessing and not really proving anything. Has anyone else dealt with this after a long run? I really hate to use ibuprofen and only use it when i feel like i have no other options. if there is some way to prevent the headache from starting i would really rather go that route! i am going to make a greater effort to drink more water this week and see if it makes a difference, but would appreciate other thoughts as well!

Daydreamer1

My first guess is that you may be hydrating well during the run, but not after so you're still dehydrated.  Another guess would be sinus problems due to the level of pollens. Another stab in the dark would be elevated blood pressure. Typically your B/P drops after exercise but it could be possible yours increases.

I'm kind of betting on it being something with your sinuses simply because that's what causes my headaches this time of the year.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Hey Christirei! Sorry you're dealing with headaches. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer and can only commiserate. I sometimes get migraines with aura while running or directly afterwards. I find all I can do is manage the symptoms, mainly via napping and ibuprofen. Blood sugar does seem to play a role; if I can eat or drink something sweet right when I feel it coming on, the headache is still annoying but not quite as bad.

hope you figure it out!

kilkee

runktrun

Some things to consider:

Rather than hydration (water), look at electrolyte intake.  You could possibly have an imbalance of potassium/sodium/calcium/magnesium.  If you sweat a lot, you might be losing electrolytes and not replacing them adequately.  If you don't sweat heavily and you only drink water, you might actually be headed towards hyponatremia.  Play around with various sports drinks (Gatorade) or natural drinks (coconut water) to see if it helps, but don't go loading up on electrolytes.  It will have to be a subtle experiment in trial and error.

Could be tension headaches from your back and neck overworking due to the stress of running.  Core work and (self) massage (tennis ball) might stabilize and release upper back muscles a bit better and alleviate stress in your neck.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Could be allergies!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Hip Redux

This happens to me as well.  Occasionally on longer runs, it'll start during the run which sucks, but typically it's like you say - maybe an hour or so after and it can be really brutal.

I tried all sorts of things via trial and error and the only thing that's worked pretty regularly is downing 16oz of Skratch Labs electrolytes hydration mix right after I finish.   I don't know if it's the sugar or the electrolytes that does it, but it really is the only thing that seems to avoid the headache.

Christirei

Thanks all for the input. I am going to try to electrolyte ideas....i bought some Hammer Heed to use so thinking i might just try it after the run, since during the run i really can't handle anything but water. maybe replacing right after will help prevent the headache from happening. Also going to drink lots of water this week to hopefully be better hydrated all the way around.

It could possibly be tension in my neck/shoulders from running, so i will work on some massage there as well. I tend to carry alot of tension anyway, so that is definitely a possibility

don't think it's sinus or allergies. Even though i'm in the midwest i don't struggle with either of those issues

appreciate it!

I get these as well, even when I do hydrate well.  I have found that my salt intake is key -- I need to take about 1 salt pill per 4-6 miles of running.  If I do that, then I'm usually OK.

Christirei

i have thought about trying the nun tabs to see if they would make a difference, haven't tried them yet though

Christirei

very warm and humid ten mile run this morning. drank about 16 oz of Hammer's Heed formula as soon as i finished as I was stretching. Another glass of water at home and then a fruit smoothie made with coconut water later in the morning. Felt pretty terrible by lunchtime and took a nap. have been okay since then, but still have a headache, not as bad as last week, but disappointed that i still got one

Hip Redux

i have thought about trying the nun tabs to see if they would make a difference, haven't tried them yet though

Nuun don't have a ton of electrolytes, if I remember correctly.  Do a comparison of the various brands and pick one that has enough to make a difference.

fothpaul

I used to have similar issues after heavy exercise. One thing which really helped me was coconut water, probably due to the electrolytes. I down a can of the stuff after a long run and it seems to help no end. Hope it helps.

Christirei

Oski - do you have a brand that you recommend?

Hip Redux

Oski - do you have a brand that you recommend?

I've had good luck with Skratch.  Others that I've seen recommended for high electrolytes is Infinit, Accelerade and one of the Gatorades, like Gatorade Perform or something.     I just don't know if I need the electrolytes or the sugar, or both, so I stick with Skratch!

Christirei

Thanks! i will look them up!