Worst. Race. Ever. (Read 1402 times)

bhearn

But yeah, 60s/low 70s -- lacking humidity -- isn't awful.

Seems pretty awful to me. What makes me skeptical of that chart is the delta from 40f to 50f.

xor

60s to low 70s and low humdity is wheelhouse weather for me.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Heat tolerance varies. Some folks suffer while others don't, even at equal experience and training levels. 

At Chicago, like other big marathons, if you are not in the front corrals, it takes a while to get past the start line and stays crowded a lot longer, if not all the way for some folks.  Being in a crowd can make quite a difference.  It'll feels a lot warmer than the reported air temp would suggest.   As such, 65F may not feel pretty good.  Also, except for a few stretches, the 2nd half of the Chicago course has minimal shade.  The direct sun out past mile 14 makes it feel significantly warmer than just a mile earlier.   At a result, most folks who are going to have heat issues start to feel them around 25k the mark.   

My experience is that I can't get it right in a marathon with warm conditions. It seems that I'd have to run at least 20-30 secs per mile slower than GMP to avoid having issues (stomach cramps with me).  Then, unless, I'm in a race just to do it, I'd wonder why I'm there.  I don't encounter these issues on faster training runs, summer HMs, or in cool weather marathons.  However; like a moth to a flame, I keep coming back.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

bhearn

Maybe so, but I'm curious to see what the weather will be when you finally run that 3:18. I'm betting < 60. It won't kill you to dress down and be a little cold.

I agree that the chart described is extreme but also feel the weather was a factor yesterday.

I'm pretty much a clockwork top 10% runner in my AG. A great day means I'm top 8-9%, and a bad day is 12-13%.

I'd trained for about a 3:12-3:15 and finished yesterday in 3:23. I finished 10.2% in my AG.

One of the things to consider was how MUCH water was out on the course yesterday... They're so scared to have people overheat that you almost had to make sure you didn't take too much and if you were taking in water, that you were getting sufficient electrolytes, too.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

MrH

And? I didn't say that you said that Mosop suffered from the heat. 

Smile

If I was Trent I would point to your use of "than", to suggest you did.

But I'm not. So I won't.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

If I was Trent I would point to your use of "than", to suggest you did.

But I'm not. So I won't.

The heat was the context of the thread. Jesus Christ.

But hey, no one is ever wrong on the internet.

Why is it sideways?

I guess I'm the odd ball here that I don't recommend too many super long runs. 

Except for everyone else on the thread...

Queen of 3rd Place

Being in a crowd can make quite a difference.  It'll feels a lot warmer than the reported air temp would suggest.  

Thanks, I was wondering about this, being one of the people who suffered and performed poorly in Chicago (although my training this fall wasn't what it should have been). Those first few miles with the crowds and in those concrete canyons with no breeze sapped me early - I was miserably hot by 5K! And to me, coming from a dry part of the world, it seemed very humid.

Ex runner

Lazy idiot

Sounds (reads) like Jeff needs a run.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

Sounds (reads) like Jeff needs a run.

Yeah, whoops forgot to be friendly.

watamg

Lol. Nobby I am the lady on here. Smile longest run was actually only 2 hours, ran a 3:56. Not fast, but better than my last. It was hot, looked like a masacre out there! Made me kind of sad to see a lot of 3:30, 3:45 pace tags walking in as I was finishing. I know what it is like to fizzle out! I did not do that this time. I really enjoyed master run coach, and I will use the plan again. I feel rather good today! So maybe long long runs aren't as important as the accumulation of training? Hard to believeSmile but I do now.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Me too.

BTW, what the heck is "wheelhouse weather" ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

If it is a pitch in my wheelhouse, I will hit it hard.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Really? Who would play baseball on a boat? Or softball.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.