How long? (Read 209 times)

hectortrojan

I have been running regularly for a little over a year now. As you can see from below, I have not increased my longer run for a while now. This weekend I want to run longer than usual 2 hours long run. How long should I go based on my current base?

I know it’s a lame question and I should do whatever I want. But I did that in the past. Increased weekly mileage too soon and go injured. And would hate to get injured again.

I am not asking how to increase regular weekly mileage or weekly long run.

The specific question I am asking is for a particular weekend. I would like to do that once every other month or so going forward.

Instead of running a race every couple of months or so, I am thinking about going for a longer than a regular long run. Would take 3-4 days off after it.

Just a dude.

Unless you are training for ultras, I'd think your long run is probably long enough. It's a pretty large percentage of yoru weekly total, often a half or more.

I'm just a random dude on the internet, but I think you'd do better to up the mileage around your long runs. Are you doing some other kind of activity on your days off?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

hectortrojan

Unless you are training for ultras, I'd think your long run is probably long enough. It's a pretty large percentage of yoru weekly total, often a half or more.

I'm just a random dude on the internet, but I think you'd do better to up the mileage around your long runs. Are you doing some other kind of activity on your days off?

-Kelly

I am not training for any race, but would like to run longer. The difference is that I am not wearing the bib and my goal is duration and not the pace.

The reason my long runs are significantly slower than the other runs is that long runs are on the trails and others are on flat road/pavement. At the same effort I run around 1:30 min/mile slower on trails compare to the road.

I do not do other kind of activities on my off days.

The specific question I am asking is for a particular weekend. I would like to do that once every other month or so going forward.

Instead of running a race every couple of months or so, I am thinking about going for a longer than a regular long run. Would take 3-4 days off after it.

#artbydmcbride

As long as that thing on your foot in your avatar is gone............

Runners run

Why?

Seriously. Are you looking for a training benefit? Just feel like running some new trails? An explanation might help guide the feedback.

hectortrojan

Why?

Seriously. Are you looking for a training benefit? Just feel like running some new trails? An explanation might help guide the feedback.

I am not training for any race and I am not looking for a particular benefit. I enjoy trail running and am curious if I can make my long run longer every other month or so without getting injured.

I am averaging 3 hours/week (19 miles @ 6.3 mph) for last 6 months and go for 2 hour (66% of weekly) long run every other week or so. So I am not following the 'keeping long run at 33% of weekly' guideline. Since I am hitting trails every other week so and not able to hit trail as often as I like, I am wondering how far can I stretch this long run on trails once in a while (every other month or so) without getting injured.

Birdwell

I have been running regularly for a little over a year now. As you can see from below, I have not increased my longer run for a while now. This weekend I want to run longer than usual 2 hours long run. How long should I go based on my current base?

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in, but from the looks of your log your "regular" could be a little more regular.

Your average over the last 8 months or so is barely 15 miles per week, and your "duration" is just over a 2 hour average.

Your stats are all over the place with random 2 hour runs thrown in here and there.

Will a 2+ hour run every month or so hurt you? probably not, but it's not going to feel great.

Why not work on being a little more consistent overall?

I've noticed how much better I feel after long runs since I got my training in a better rhythm. The long runs don't hurt near as badly as they used to.

Why- coz I find it exciting!

i enjoy trail running. More I run, more I enjoy. so I want to do trail running longer without getting injured.

I'm with you on this. There are all kinds of cool trails and trail races I'd like to run, but as birdwell points out they're a lot more fun when your in shape to handle them.

hectortrojan

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in, but from the looks of your log your "regular" could be a little more regular.

Your average over the last 8 months or so is barely 15 miles per week, and your "duration" is just over a 2 hour average.

Your stats are all over the place with random 2 hour runs thrown in here and there.

Will a 2+ hour run every month or so hurt you? probably not, but it's not going to feel great.

Why not work on being a little more consistent overall?

I've noticed how much better I feel after long runs since I got my training in a better rhythm. The long runs don't hurt near as badly as they used to.

Sorry if I was not clear.

I enjoy running on trails for a couple of hours. It doesn't hurt to go run for a couple of hours. In fact, it feels good wherever I am able to hit trail and run for a couple of hours.

I agree that my weekly graph doesn't look consistent. That is why I included daily graph. Since late August of last year, I run 40-50 minutes for most of my runs, but long runs.

Just a dude.

I am not training for any race and I am not looking for a particular benefit. I enjoy trail running and am curious if I can make my long run longer every other month or so without getting injured.

I am averaging 3 hours/week (19 miles @ 6.3 mph) for last 6 months and go for 2 hour (66% of weekly) long run every other week or so. So I am not following the 'keeping long run at 33% of weekly' guideline. Since I am hitting trails every other week so and not able to hit trail as often as I like, I am wondering how far can I stretch this long run on trails once in a while (every other month or so) without getting injured.

I think if you feel fine on a 2 hour run in the trails now, and you just want to enjoy longer runs, then I'd probably add 10-15 minutes to that longer run each month. So run a 2:15 this month, a 2:30 next month. Maybe you will find 3 hour runs over the summer are fine. Listen to your body. Take some fuel/liquids probably, and enjoy.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Gator eye

Rules smules, if you want to go longer and feeling good go longer. Slow your pace down, take more walk breaks, smell the flowers and enjoy yourself.

hectortrojan

I wanted to complete the loop and provide the result.

I was averaging about 3 hour 40 minutes per week for last 12 week and went for a longer run at around 100% of weekly average. It was a lot more hiking than running. Total elapsed time was 4:02. Out of which moving time was 3:32.

I covered only 13.7 miles. I was feeling adventures and took new trails. I climbed around 2200 feet in 3.5 miles or so. Weather was great and I had a beautiful view from the top. I sat there for 15 minutes or so and enjoyed the view. Then went downhill around 2200 feet in 3.5 miles. This was basically 7 mile route. I wanted to go 7 miles and come back. So I did it. I was very tired during second climb and sat down for 15 minutes or so at some point while climbing it. There was no flat. It was either up or down. In total, I had a little over 4500 feet of elevation gain and same amount of elevation loss.

As expected my quads are sore, but it felt great being on those trails and I cannot wait to do it again a couple of months.

Here is the elevation profile

Thanks for the update. As you mention, walk breaks and even complete stops can be a way of reducing physical stress. The mental relief that such a run provides is well worth mixing running and hiking, IMHO. And you'll get stronger each time - as long as you do other regular training.

Watch your recovery, as you may be most sore about 3 days out. Be sure to do some walking as part of your recovery. If you get the right balance, you'll find that your amount of soreness and recovery times will both decrease.

On my long runs (or shorter easy runs), I tend to like to explore and sometimes the run ends up being longer than intended if I miss a turn. What I found is the first time I did that (something like 4 hr vs 3 hr, iirc, but relatively flat snow, not big hills), I was really tired that day, planned off day the next, and by a couple days out, I was surprisingly recovered - or at least no pain.

Depending upon what I'm training for, I may separate training runs from running / hiking runs. Camera may get used more freely on the run/hike runs and stop to look at insects on the snow or the flowers or whatever. Training runs are usually more focused (or at least start out with that intention).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog