New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

Garmin is showing off their newest running gadgetry, the Forerunner 620 and 220.  First impressions look really tasty so I hope my 210 can hang on for a couple of months.  What do you think?

See DC Rainmaker's quick review.

bluerun

Super B****

I think I need to come up with a good reason to own a third GPS watch because I WANT that 620.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Love his reviews -- so comprehensive.

As I have a 610, the features that appeal are minimal: waterproofing and WiFi uploading.  The auto-satelite finder sure would be nice too.

Though, I really wish they had boosted the battery more than 25%.

I don't think there's a feature out there that would give me gadget envy.  The 610 already has more than I need/use.   Maybe if the watch auto-synced with RunningAHEAD.  Or if it cried out, "20 miles, bitches!" at the end of a long run.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I can't wait to see if they've improved the reliability of the heart rate monitor to go with all these fancy new features. A lot of the new data I would probably look at once and never again. I also don't really care about touch screen versus push buttons, but I like the things like the VO2Max calculator, Recovery Advisor, and Race Predictor. I wonder how accurate it all is. The pre-loading of satellite locations via WiFi and USB sounds great too. I hate standing there waiting sometimes when I'm ready to run and it takes extra long to find a signal. New area for the charger to be connected to looks great too! The one on my 210 is too touchy to stay connected properly. Ok I like it a lot. Dangit I want one.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

joescott

What do you think?

I think they're awesome.  Wink

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I think they're awesome.  Wink

That took much longer than I thought :-)

Or if it cried out, "20 miles, bitches!" at the end of a long run.

That's coming in the special Rick James edition.

lagwagon

That's coming in the special Rick James edition.*

(* not available in CT)

FTFY.

Might preorder the 620.  I think my 610 needs to go to rehab, it loses workouts when i travel across timezones.

Julia1971

That would be an awesome feature.

I also have a 610 (in fact, my first one died in March and I just bought a new one in April) and read the review quickly. The only things I saw that would compel me to purchase one sooner than later was the live updating on the Web. If I understand it correctly, would that enable friends and family to track you during a race? I also like that slimmer design. Wifi would also be cool but the Ant thing we works pretty good too.

Love his reviews -- so comprehensive.

As I have a 610, the features that appeal are minimal: waterproofing and WiFi uploading.  The auto-satelite finder sure would be nice too.

Though, I really wish they had boosted the battery more than 25%.

I don't think there's a feature out there that would give me gadget envy.  The 610 already has more than I need/use.   Maybe if the watch auto-synced with RunningAHEAD.  Or if it cried out, "20 miles, bitches!" at the end of a long run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it wrong that I'm hoping my 2ish month old 210 has a short lifespan so that I can upgrade to the 220...?  I hope that new charging clip dealie is less of a trainwreck than the current one.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bpd2001

Ben

Any thoughts about how to use the new "vertical oscillation" or "ground contact" data? All the other new features look great but I'm suspicious about these two. Seems like it's supposed to help with form but I have doubts.

Don't overstride!

I thinking on donating my 310xt to my local high school. Do you think they might need it?Smile

Jess runs for bacon

I want that purple 220 something fierce.

kcam

I'm not really feeling the need for that 620 yet.  The new features I would enjoy are the pre-loaded satellite constellation and the waterproofing.  I can get the waterproofing by buying a 310XT which are now well under $200.  Does anyone know if it uses a new chipset or still uses the sirfstar IV chipset?  An upgrade there might tilt the playing field towards the new watch.

It measures vertical oscillation.  Wink