New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

Not dead. Yet.

I recorded a walk a few days ago without the heartrate monitor.  When I viewed it in Garmin connect, it showed a cadence.  How did it do that?  I thought cadence was from the dynamics heart rate monitor.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

bluerun

Super B****

I recorded a walk a few days ago without the heartrate monitor.  When I viewed it in Garmin connect, it showed a cadence.  How did it do that?  I thought cadence was from the dynamics heart rate monitor.

It has an internal accelerometer... I think the 220 does too, and you can't get all the fancy metrics with the HRM-Run there.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Tim_Easterday

Went out for my first real training run with the 620. It was gloomy, raining, and cold but all in all I was pretty happy with this new Garmin. The display wasn't that bad to read although it would take a bit longer to read the numbers as opposed to just a quick glance on my 310XT. That's not all a contrast issue, it's also a "bad reading eyesight" issue. Going to have to break down and get bifocals one of these days! Anyway, it worked great even when getting poured on by rain. The only issue was when I got home, I pressed the Connect button and it said "No files to transfer." Huh?? Tried it a few times but no dice. Connected the USB and it transferred immediately. So the WiFi is still an issue.

Nice short video, hitting the high points, by my friend Gary Rosenberg.  Funny that he says "this will be your new coach," as he himself is a running coach.  Click.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

joescott

Nice short video, hitting the high points, by my friend Gary Rosenberg.  Funny that he says "this will be your new coach," as he himself is a running coach.  Click.

Small world, Nads.  Small world.  Gary and I take turns punishing each other on the track whenever he comes to the mother ship. Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Picked up my new 220 this weekend.  Two runs with it so far and I love it.

It was super easy to set up and last night when I stepped outside in the darkness with a bit of snow flurries, I got a signal in 5 seconds.  5 SECONDS!  Wow, that's why I bought it and so far so good!

I like the size of the buttons.  A bit bigger than my last garmin (the 110?) and easy to press/use with gloves on.  I also like that the run start/stop is red.  Easy to see and remember which one I need to press.  This will be helpful in reallllly long runs when my mind starts to fog over after a few hours lol.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks for that link!  He says I can now get my speed and distance indoors without GPS on the 220.  I thought only the 620 did that.  NOW I'm even happier with my new toy (and will have to figure out how to use these things!).  Kid in a candy store!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

I wouldn't rely on using the 220/620 on the treadmill (or indoor track) without a footpod. Did my first run indoors on a TM without footpod. Wasn't expecting anything. Basically it just measured one constant speed, even though I went from 6.5mph to 8.2mph every 2 minutes. So I'll probably start using the footpod again for indoor runs (or not).

ultramarathon/triathlete

I wouldn't rely on using the 220/620 on the treadmill (or indoor track) without a footpod. Did my first run indoors on a TM without footpod. Wasn't expecting anything. Basically it just measured one constant speed, even though I went from 6.5mph to 8.2mph every 2 minutes. So I'll probably start using the footpod again for indoor runs (or not).

On a treadmill I'd just go by the display but I'm thinking this might be nice on a track.  Toward the end of last month I did 6.125 miles on my Y's indoor track, since it's a short loop (8 loops=a mile) and I could keep track of my kids playing in the kiddie area.  I pressed the lap button on my garmin every lap.  It was actually annoying to remember doing this every 55 seconds.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

MrH

After two 305s have had their batteries die after reasonable usage, my brand new 310XT has a bad battery out of the box and will hold a charge for not much more than 30 minutes, and that's only after a reset. It's going back.

The question is whether for a refund or replacement.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

lagwagon

My 610 is on its last leg...resets needed almost daily now, so might head down to the LRS tomorrow or Wed for a new Garmin.  Leaning 620, mostly for the touchscreen and extra data field.

A few sync questions:   is there any way to get the data from a run into my RA log other than the USB link?  Will it work seamlessly over WiFi?

Also, how hard is it to connect to WiFi on the road (say in a hotel) to get sat locations and upload my run?   On long trips I couldnt upload runs from the 610 (cant install Connect / Ant agent on work laptop) and would love to be able to do so somehow.  I was hoping I could now do this over WiFi or iphone link.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Funny, on my easy run tonight I was thinking about the exact same thing regarding the wifi and RA.

Off hand, I don't think RA will be able to get the data until you USB sync it -- which is a shame, since I really don't give a hoot about Garmin Connect.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TJoseph

My 610 is on its last leg...resets needed almost daily now, so might head down to the LRS tomorrow or Wed for a new Garmin.  Leaning 620, mostly for the touchscreen and extra data field.

A few sync questions:   is there any way to get the data from a run into my RA log other than the USB link?  Will it work seamlessly over WiFi?

Also, how hard is it to connect to WiFi on the road (say in a hotel) to get sat locations and upload my run?   On long trips I couldnt upload runs from the 610 (cant install Connect / Ant agent on work laptop) and would love to be able to do so somehow.  I was hoping I could now do this over WiFi or iphone link.

I have a small $20 travel router I use on the road.  I connect it to the wired Ethernet connection in the room if they have one and I have configured it with the same wireless SSID I use at home.  I log in first with my laptop and then my other devices can connect through it also.  I get free Internet because of my status with Hilton, but it is still easier than logging in from each device.  I don't have a 620, so I haven't tried it with that.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mpbs/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386644162&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+router

Tim_Easterday

Most hotels I've been to have a web page to log into their network. This type of access will not work with the 620. However an iPhone should work just fine (my wife has been using her 620 with her iPhone).

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'd like to suggest an add on for the next iteration of GPS watches.

I'd like it if, when I hit a mile, it screams out what mile that is.  So, when I'm running past someone and it beeps, instead it will yell MILE TEN!  And I'd like to be able to edit it so it always assumes I started my run at mile 15 or something.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team