The worst run I've ever had... (Read 854 times)

Now that was a bath...

Everything went wrong with today's run. I got up fine, got ready, did a few stretches, left the house running - then got this really strong urge to stop. I had planned to do the same run as yesterday, but about 1km into the run I was mentally looking for easier options. I eventually decided to cut the run short. When i got to the midway point I stopped and plain didn't feel like running any more. i decdied that moving was better than standing still so i walked for a few minutes. Then I jogged for a few minutes, hated it, walked again. As I turned into my street I stopped and for the next couple of minutes stood there not wanting to move at all. I just wanted to magic myself home. I tried a bit of visualization, imagined myself running well on the home stretch and once I started I managed to make it home without stopping again. I hated every moment of this weird run/walk/stop day. Has anyone else ever had days like that? I wonder if I have been driving myself too hard. The Waiheke race is looming large over me at the moment causing me to push myself further and further. Fortunately tomorrow is a rest day for my legs and hopefully the day after will find me motivated and happy to be running again. Today it just plain felt like I don't have it in me! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*hugs Claire* My entire month has been like that...I hate that I'm only getting a good run about every 5. It frustrates me to tears that just over 4 weeks ago I ran an awesome HM and now I can't even go 2 miles without having to stop and walk (my walk/runs are outnumbering my actual runs). My lungs and upper body are rarin' to go, but my shins, calves, knees and feet are all "screw that, biatch!" I would occasionaly have runs like yours in the early months, Claire. Usually it was a sleep issue for me (which is the main cause for my current crappy running, I am certain...then I stress about how awful my runs have been and it keeps me awake at night--vicious cycle). Are you sleeping well? How is your diet? Stress? How often are you running? Maybe give yourself a day off if you think that might help your morale. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, boy, do I know how that feels! For me the problem was stress. I knew I needed to run to recharge and relax but I could not find any mental energy to run. One week I was able to run comfortably 16 miles, a couple of weeks later after my dad's death I could not make myself to run more than a couple of miles no matter what the pace. I would start well and then after a few minutes every cell in my body would just scream for me to stop. It was discouraging to the point that I thought I would never go back to running again. I kept on trying though and what helped was stopping to beat myself for walking breaks. I ran and walked, sometimes walked more than ran but I kept at it. There are a hills in my neighborhood and one day I ran up one of the longest and steepest ones and was very surprised to see that I still could. That was I think the breaking point. I think I am back, at least I've been running consistently for the past few weeks and enjoying it. What I learned from all that is that there will be times like that and that what I need to do is just keep on trying and being easy on myself for not performing to my expectations. If you feel very strongly that you need to walk instead of running, walk and still enjoy the exercise. You will be back into running in no time. I guess whatever the reason, we all need to take a break one time or the other. Big Hugs and good luck
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        Scout7

Yes. More often than I'll ever admit to, I'm sure. Mostly, if you're not feeling it, then you're better off not doing it. One day off ain't gonna kill us, and it could be your body telling you something.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Some days are diamond. Some days are stone. Some days the hard times won't leave me alone. Sometimes the cold wind leaves a chill in my bones. Some days are diamond. Some days are stone. -John Denver
            Of course, I may have the words all wrong... memory being what it is and all that. Wink You may want to take an extra rest day on top of the one you've got planned for tomorrow. It happens. What you do over time is more important than what you do on one particular run.

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Thanks everyone. Interesting that a couple of you mentioned stress because I had two big arguments yesterday and I was pumped with anger and adrenalin all day. I had thought that I would run better today for this - but obviously not! I think that I am going to enjoy my rest day tomorrow and see how I feel on Friday (American thursday). If I feel like running I may just change my route and run in a completely different direction. I won't plan for any particular distance - just listen to my body and see what I can do comfortably. I need to go on a run that I can simply enjoy to boost my running morale I think. Thanks for sharing your experiences too. It really helped to hear that this happens to others. I have to remember that I love to run and stop beating myself up about 24 bad minutes on the street! Claire xxx

Prophet!

i have those days often though as not as often as it used to be...i think those days are important in that it helps develop the ability to overcome any physical and mental hurdles in training or races (or life). Everytime i get to that horrible place where i want to stop (first four miles of every long run these days), i try to think of all good things, any positive cliches i can come up with, mental videos of my sun playing and laughing, good surf, whatever works, because i know that whatever is holding me back will pass. Doesn't always work mind you but it think it does help in the long run... Better day tomorrow!

Finished!

Claire - sorry to hear about your poor run Sad I usually get "I'm not happy" feelings on certain portions of the route - but I think it has something to do with the hills Roll eyes (I'm a wimp when it comes to hills - even when I'm hiking). I bet it has something to do with outside stressors, I've found appropriate happier music to help me get thru my runs when I think I'm having a bad day
                  Walk + Jog = wog.
                  I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                  I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

You'll ruin your knees!

Hang in there... It doesn't always get worse! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Sometimes a running funk just settles in. I get 'em too sometimes. Things are going great & suddenly your desire to put on your running shoes is just plain gone. Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to everybody. Enjoy a nice day of rest & I bet you'll be itching to get back out there.

madness baby

I usually get "I'm not happy" feelings on certain portions of the route -
                        I agree with woodlandsprite here. I actually tell my husband "this is not fun" every other run or so, but it just gets better and my body is happier when I listen to it and rest, even if I have the urge to get out there. Looking at your log, you were coming off two longer runs, so that might have something to do with it. Don't let it get you down--try to enjoy the walking and think about how your next run will be better because you gave it some time. Good luck!
                        deb
                        JakeKnight

For both Kooky and Zoom: How do I put this? Not even sure what I'm getting at, so bear with me. Roar. Or do bears growl? One of those. I definitely know what they do in the woods. Or is that the Pope? Do you capitalize Pope like that? Nevermind. Anyway, here's the thing. There seems to be an epidemic on this board the last few days, and your posts capture it pretty well ... but I still can't quite put my finger on it, on how to describe it. And you aren't alone. I've seen half a dozen posts like this pop up, all sounding exactly the same. Maybe it's the holidays. Okay, here's my thought: you both sound like running has become a chore. A job. Something that you're working at to get something, rather than just to do it. A race, a mileage goal, whatever. Especially you, Zooms ... and it stands out, because it's pretty much the opposite of how you usually sound. Here's my unsolicited wanna-be Freudian analytical advice: I'd guess that Kooky is thinking way too much about her race, and Zoom ... I think you're a victim of your own success. You've worked so hard and improved so quickly, that it sounds like you're looking ahead to the next success ... rather than enjoying where you are. Here's my advice: others have suggested taking time off; I wouldn't. At least not for long. What I would do is change your focus. Kooky, if you keep running with any decent consistency, you'll be ready for your race, easily; Zoom, you'll be back healthy and back to your normal mileage soon enough. For now - you might wanna think about forgetting about mileage, or pace, or future races, or your next goal ... and just enjoying the run. Sweat. Breathe. Think. Forget the rest. And if you really feel like walking ... walk for a while. Intentionally walking got me started, got me to love running, and I still plan walk breaks when I don't feel like running much. It's easy to run for 3 or 4 minutes at a time. So easy, in fact, that I usually end up forgetting to walk, and running for an hour anyway. But knowing I can walk gets my ass out the door. Kooky, quit beating yourself for walking. Walk, then run, then walk, then run. Whatever it takes to keep moving and sweating, to keep your heart rate up. Above all else, to keep enjoying it. Once it becomes a job, something you do only for some external goal, burnout is right around the corner. Please note: I may be 12 kilometers or so off base here, in which case I'll cheerfully shut up. Feel free to ignore me. But I'm right about the fun part. Guaranteed. Go have fun, ladies. Quit sweatin' the small stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Dare it say it - I know you are probably right Jake. Maybe my biggest mistake was spending a good 30 minutes yesterday working out the gradients of the Waiheke hills as compared to the 'slope' that I call my hill at the moment. The statistics did not look pretty on paper. The fact is I DO love to run. That's why I'm here! I didn't start to lose weight or to run across an island - it was purely for the buzz. I definitely need to take it back to that and after a good days rest tomorrow, get back out there and just enjoy it. I have let a 'bad' run ruin most of a good day. My bad. Onwards & upwards Big grin Claire xxx
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jake, I think you might be closer than 12k to the truth. I think my biggest issues right now include emotional stuff (and too much running around) with the family tragedy, not enough sleep, and crappy weather--I definitely run better on sunny days, even if it's cold out. We've not seen much sun since Summer (welcome to West MI 6+ months of the year). I also don't want to take time off, but I need to not look at walking as failure. Just catching up on sleep should make a major difference in how I feel--while actually running and just in general. Last night was my first good night of sleep in a week and I already feel a lot better. Tonite I also plan to hit the hay extra early and hopefully tackling this sleep deficit will start to make my runs enjoyable, again. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay