how do I escape blisters and lost toenails? (Read 990 times)

vasiline? (can't spell that!) My toes are a wreck. I wear Thorlo socks. I didn't start consistenly losing toenails until this marathon training and I did not get blisters until my last long run and the marathon itself. If I could overcome this problem, I'd be golden. Undecided and tired and true hints/suggestions? I'd dearly love to be able to wear pretty sandals again. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've not had that problem, but I've heard about it. General consensus seems to be that black and lost toenails almost always come from shoes being too small because your toes hit the end of the shoes, especially after your feet swell a lot on those long runs. I stole these threads from www.coolrunning.com: One of several threads on toenails (others mostly talk about shoes being too small): http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/019392.shtml Thread on blisters: http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum6/HTML/019665.shtml My guess would be that your feet started swelling more on your longer runs and the shoes you've currently got just weren't able to accomodate them. But you are NOT the only person with this problem. Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

thank you for the links! I'm going to try some of their advice. It's mainly my toes...I get big blisters under the nailbed and then lose the nail. Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

Wingz

Professional Noob

Eeek! Sounds very unpleasant! I hope some of that stuff works for you! And I hope I never need to find out for myself... Janell

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

That sounds down right nasty to me! I can't imagine losing toe nails at all. Like Janell said, blisters, black toe nails, or missing toe nails are caused by your shoes not fitting properly. It can be that the shoes are too small, or too large, both cases will cause unwanted rubbing or shifting of the foot inside of the shoe. Get a pair of properly fitted shoes and you should be golden!
              That sounds down right nasty to me! I can't imagine losing toe nails at all. Like Janell said, blisters, black toe nails, or missing toe nails are caused by your shoes not fitting properly. It can be that the shoes are too small, or too large, both cases will cause unwanted rubbing or shifting of the foot inside of the shoe. Get a pair of properly fitted shoes and you should be golden!
              Mile Collector has pretty well 'nailed' it. A properly-sized toe box makes a world of difference. And--when doing longer runs (Half and Full marathons), your shoes should be tied a little looser than normal to accomodate the fact that your feet will swell during the run. You could try another brand of double-lined sock as well, and see if that makes any difference.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                I wanted to add...I've figured out that I am suffering from metatarsalgia. It's been plaguing me since my last 20 miler and I've felt it during every run since. That was what hit me hardest in the marathon and most memorably, at mile 24. It also affects me when I'm not running...out of the blue, my two middle toes will go numb. I think the pain from that is causing me to over compensate, causing poor running form, and the nasty cycle continues. Confused I'm going to make an appointment with a podiatrist, then have my shoes checked.

Jennifer mm#1231

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm going to make an appointment with a podiatrist, then have my shoes checked.
                  Sounds like a VERY good idea! Good luck!