2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I checked the Boston website and apparently you needed proof of covid vaccination this year?  More covid theatre. 

Just to be clear, if that’s still the case next year then I won’t be going.

I’ve booked my flights and accommodation for Boston and ready to go…so let’s wait and see.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Weekly for period: From: 05/16/2022 To 05/22/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
      in ft
      05/17 Lunch Run 7.07 11.38 01:00:46 08:36 05:20 315
      05/19 Afternoon Run 10.33 16.63 01:29:39 08:41 05:23 479
      05/20 Afternoon Run 7.03 11.31 01:02:01 08:49 05:29 315
      05/22 Lunch Run 11.74 18.89 01:40:11 08:32 05:18 515

Total distance: 36.18mi

Mikkey-I know you're confident but a weeks headstart is taking the mick.

Jmac-Great running,what do you think that's worth?

As you can see from above I've not quite got the hang of posting mileage yet,hopefully get better.

Anyway back to 36 miles this week,I have 16 weeks until Antwerp so time to build now.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

You PR and still complain about weather....

Jack and Sandbagging, name a more iconic duo 😂

Well done Jack, next time ignore the weather forecast 😁

MrMatt - that's great news. Here's hoping the recovery continues

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I checked the Boston website and apparently you needed proof of covid vaccination this year?  More covid theatre. 

Just to be clear, if that’s still the case next year then I won’t be going.

I’ve booked my flights and accommodation for Boston and ready to go…so let’s wait and see.

I assume your flights are refundable?

Matt - very good news on the continued progress.  Question that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to: would the Carbon plated shoes that are all the rage right now be better or worse for your foot?

Calbears - belated congrats on the 100K!

Ian - you're using Flavio's Strava thing, so that's a start.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My week:

40 miles running, 4 hours pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
            T: 2 miles (9:52)
            W: 10 miles, including a track workout of 5x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 3:29, 3:23, 3:23, 3:22, 3:21, 98, 1:42, 49, and 49. Recoveries of 2:3x-2:4x after the 800s, full recovery for all else. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming`
            Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
            F: 3.5 miles (9:41), time team track workout, 5.5 miles (9:39) plus hill sprints and drills, and then streaming yoga.
            Sa: 14 miles, including a set of 6x4 minutes on/3 minutes off, with the "ons" at between marathon and half-marathon effort. Paces for the 6 "ons" were 7:51, 7:42, 7:33, 7:17, 7:17, and 7:09. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
            Su: 5 miles very easy (9:51) and then 60 minutes pool-running.

Kinda of a chaotic week. I was supposed to get an IUD on Tuesday, and so I took some medication on Monday night to "soften up" that portion of my anatomy. I woke up on Tuesday morning and felt very dull. I started my warm-up and decided the workout was not in the cards, so I pushed it back to Wednesday and went back home.

Of course, then the IUD didn't happen because apparently my girl parts are small and not shaped like the average (the term is "retroflexed uterus"), so I need to try again this coming week with a smaller IUD and a sonographer.

Pushing the Tuesday workout to Wednesday meant that had to rework the rest of the week. I ended up doing a long run on Saturday, which was the first hot day of the year. I had planned to do 3x2 miles at half-marathon effort, but revamped that to sets of 4 minutes on/3 minutes off - do as many as you feel like at between marathon and half-marathon effort.

As it turned out - 6 was the right number - each repeat would start at the right effort and then my heart rate would skyrocket.. So after the 6th rep I just jogged a few miles to get to 14 and called it my long run for the week. 

Obligatory side note: this week I took myself off of the birth control pill (Slynd) that was dehydrating me.  Yesterday's 14 miles in temp/DP of 150 was considerably less hard on my body than last week's 12.5 miles in temp/DP of 131.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey: Hopefully they change that policy but if not at least we'll be able to meet up in London for beers this summer!

Ian: Looks like a good week to me.

Matt: Great news on the 10 miler!

Darkwave: My jaw dropped when I saw the temp from your long run yesterday! Great job getting it done and smart to adjust for the heat.

JMac: Can you put me down for the Erie marathon on Sept. 11? Also you can remove Detroit for me, that won't be happening.

I'll start posting weeks again now that I've got a race to prepare for. I've just been building mileage, no workouts, but will probably start some tempo work this week. Kind of dreading that to be honest; we'll see how it goes.

in ft
              05/16 Morning Run 6.27 10.09 55:11 8:48 5:28 407
              05/17 Morning Run 8.11 13.05 1:07:22 8:18 5:10 453
              05/18 Morning Run 10.14 16.32 1:27:20 8:37 5:21 541
              05/19 Lunch Run 8.13 13.08 1:10:34 8:41 5:24 463
              05/20 Morning Run 13.17 21.19 1:44:32 7:56 4:56 860
              05/21 Morning Run 6.20 9.98 57:30 9:16 5:46 489
              05/22 Long Run 16.14 25.97 2:13:38 8:17 5:09 856

Total distance: 68.17 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You PR and still complain about weather....

Literally said the opposite: that I got lucky with the weather. It was supposed to be upper 60s and partly cloudy. It turned out to be only low 60s and covered in fog, which was not in the forecast until I woke up Saturday. But there was only a 1 hour difference between those two things on Saturday. That's not sandbagging: that's thanking the weather gods for 1 extra hour. 61 vs 68 can be 5 seconds per mile or so, and that was the difference between my 1:14:57 and what I originally thought right around 1:16. I'll include that in the race report that I knew things might be okay after my warm up as long as the fog didn't burn off. It still wasn't ideal weather. I'm not complaining: more actually saying I think I'm in even better shape than what I ran which makes me very excited for Grandma's.

Two pictures. Top is what it looked like when I finished (this is about 400 meters from the finish). Bottom is what it looked like an hour later (about 400 meters post finish)

Fog

sunny

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - hard to tell where we will be in September. A lot of organizations are dropping vaccine requirements except in very liberal areas of the country. I'd be surprised if the BAA still requires it come September, but I could be wrong. You should definitely book a hotel at the start line of NYC: the people of Staten Island will welcome you with open arms 

DW - I feel like the weather I just ran in is what I should expect in Duluth: low 60s and hopefully very cloudy/fog. If so, I think with even more heat acclimation I'll be okay. Key being cloudy and wind off the lake though.

JT - 60+ is when you're training again. Well done.

Ian - I think now I can go for a PR at Grandma's, even if weather isn't ideal. I imagine in perfect half weather I had a shot at 1:13:XX

Matt - good to hear the progress! Soon you'll be posting full weeklies.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Hopefully they change that policy but if not at least we'll be able to meet up in London for beers this summer!

👍  And great job getting to 68 miles!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

JMac - saw your result on Strava, congrats on the PR! especially in that weather. Was the first mile just you trying to easy into it and judge effort or just congestion?

C&P from the half thread of my week. still not marathon training as you can tell from the lack of a long run

M 20 min swim + 40 min easy run

10 mi w/ 4x200, 4xKM, 4x200

W  50 min E run, 55 min E ride

Th 35 min continuous swim, 55 min E w/ 6 strides

F 6.6 mi w/ 3xmi on min rest

S 47 min E w/ 6 strides + 4 hour slow bike (w/ kids)

4 hour slow bike (w/ kids) + 10.4 mi "long" run at a strong pace (8:04/mi)

47.7 miles running

70 mi biking

1.5 mi swim

A very solid week, I especially liked Tuesday's workout where I ran the first 200s under control (40-41), ran the KMs progressively (3:57, 55, 52, 45) and closed with some fast 200s (36, 37, 36, 34) while still feeling under control rather than sprinting.

The 3xmi, the effort was honestly hot and HR reflected that but paces were 6:52, 37, 44 with a headwind for the first and part of the third rep.

It is officially taper time, the hay is in the barn, yadda yadda yadda. This week is a couple of bricks to get the legs used to running off the bike and the big (Triathlon) race is Saturday!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

2022 Brooklyn Half Marathon 

Pre-Race

Obviously the weather was the talk pre-race as there was record highs forecasted for the day. This race does start early though, but the forecast for mid-race was right around 130 TDP (68 degrees, 62 dew point). When I woke up Saturday though, there was a layer of fog that had settled in. I checked the forecast again and it now said that the fog wasn't going to burn off until I was done with the race. I decided to still go into the race with my planned pace adjustment (around 1:16) and if things were going well, to pick up the second half.

My alarm went off at 3:50 am. This race is the only time my entire life I've set an alarm before 4:00, which means you have to be good about your sleep the week before. I got onto the subway and read a book on my way to the start. Some dude was sitting on the subway in a poncho. I don't think he understands how fog works.

When I arrived at 5:30 am, the NYPD hadn't started letting people past security, which unfortunately is where all the bathrooms are. I REALLY had to go, but I have learned over the years how to find other bathrooms (if anyone remembers from my PR last fall, I found a VFW hall to use the bathroom because the line there was too long). So I went on google maps, searched for a gas station with a toilet, and luckily there was one 0.6 miles away. Perfect for a jog there and back for a warm up!

When I finished and got back to security, I realized that I had only cracked a sweat. This was my first sign that maybe things wouldn't be as bad as I feared. It looked like the current weather was 122 TDP (61 temp, 61 DP)

The logistics for this race continue to be awful as you have to be in your corral about 40 minutes before the race starts. I got in, used the toilet again, and then found a spot to sit down until we were herded up to the start line

First 5K - 18:04 (5:49 pace)

I went in with a goal of running my miles between 5:45 and 5:50 for the beginning of the race, as the worst thing would have been to go out at 5:35 like I did my last half and then blow up due to the humidity. The first mile is a screaming downhill, but I still was so worried about going out too fast I threw up a complete egg: 6:06. I actually had a little panic after seeing that number click off because it certainly did not feel slower than MP. But I think my body may have just needed that as well after sitting down for 30+ minutes.

Miles 2 came in at 5:42. Mile 3 was 5:37, but it's a big downhill, so I wasn't worried about going too fast at that point. I never take gatorade during any races (including fulls), but I decided that I should take some early in the race while my stomach was in great shape just to get electrolytes in, as I was already completely soaked by mile 3.

In the third mile, there was a guy who was basically running with me as we started passing groups of runners together. I noted that to him and we stayed together until about mile 6.

Second 5K - 17:57 (5:47 pace)

This entire 5K is in Prospect Park, a very similar profile to Central park where almost no part is flat. There is a big uphill during miles 5 and 6 that act as a great check. One benefit of having run this race 5 times is that I remember how I felt at different parts of the race. In 2019 when I tried to run this 5 weeks after Boston, I remember getting to the top of the hill in the Park and saying "I feel terrible." When I got to the top of the hill this time, I was definitely tired, but I knew I felt way better than that. That was a huge confidence boost that I could probably get a 1:15:XX time. NYRR doesn't have place at different 5Ks, but I must have passed at least a hundred people in this 5K.

Third 5K - 17:29 (5:38 pace)

This is where the race really starts. After you exit the park, you run a mind numbing 5 straight miles down a parkway. There are no real crowds. Nothing to look at. Just dead straight road. However, this year, the fog saved my brain. Not being able to see more than 1 block ahead of you at a time acted like blinders on a horse. Still, with no turns and getting caught a lot in no man's land between different runners was tough. However, this is always the 5K to me where you realize it will or will not be your day. Mile 8 and Mile 9 came in at 5:40 each, at a time when I was telling myself to keep it "easy" and not push the pace as it was too early. Given those were coming in 5 seconds ahead of where I wanted to be, but I felt like I was taking it "easy", I started to realize that although I was completely drenched in sweat and everyone around me was dragging, I might be okay this race.

So, I started doing the math. What time do I need to be the mile 10 marker? It's almost exactly 5K to go at that point, a distance where you can start pushing a bit to the finish without worrying about running out of gas. After spending a few minutes doing the math (a great way to burn time!), I realized that at 5:40 pacing, I would need to be at the 10 mile marker at 57:15. Before that point, I had not looked at my total time overall.

I told myself in my head "if your watch says 57:00, you can keep running this effort and get a PR. If it's 57:15, you're going to have to 'push' a bit as you're bound to slow down with how you're feeling. If it's 57:30 or more, then the PR is out." I won't lie: I was hoping when I hit the 10 mile marker it was either 57:00, or 57:30. Both would allow me to keep the effort I had, which was getting really hard, but didn't require me to go to the well (going to our discussion earlier about goals, I don't have the ability to go to the well if I know a PR isn't happening. I will keep working hard, but that is different.)

I hit mile 10, look down at my watch, and it was exactly 57:16. I think I literally said "shit" out loud as I realized that I had to keep this pace or faster for the final 5K.

4th 5K - 17:32 (5:39 pace)

This part, as usual, is a bit of a blur. It was just going to my usual bag of tricks around saying "you've done 3T before, that's all this is." Then when it was a mile left, it was "just 1T left, that's so easy!" I did, unfortunately, start to run out of gas in the last mile. I had nothing left in the tank, and I could feel the effort slipping. I was still passing people though, which is always a huge mental boost.

Final - 1:14:57

You have to climb this ramp that goes up to a boardwalk at the end. It's only 50 meters maybe? But wow did I slow down. I realized I was spent. I checked my watch at the 200 meter mark though and had so much time to break 1:15, I realized I would be great! However, for any of you who have ran a race on a wet boardwalk know, there is ZERO traction. To have that be the final 300 meters or so is just cruel. I could not find any grip at all. I then looked at my watch again and it was 1:14:50 and yet I wasn't at the finish. I realized the 200 meter marker was probably off! I gave it everything I had and barely sneaked in for a new PR!

Post-Race

Conclusion of all of this was that I took things easy to start and ran a big negative split. The 3rd and 4th 5K was almost a 10K PR for me within that race. Going back and looking at some calculators, I think I probably was in low 1:14 to upper 1:13 shape with the weather adjustment. It was probably worth 3-5 seconds per mile, at least for me.

Anyone who finished in the second wave absolutely toasted out there. 1 runner died and 16 were hospitalized. Some of that always happens with big half marathons like this, but I imagine most of this hurt were in the second wave as the fog burned off. My hearts go out them, especially the family of the man who died.

More importantly, for Grandma's: it's all going to be based on the weather. If it's anything like Saturday, I feel good about going for a PR even though I completely bombed my 14M workout last week. If we get an unusually cool day, it may be a real opportunity to go for 2:34:XX and get a coveted moose mug in my 30s (you know, a hard one to get, not like the participation trophy they give to you guys in your 50s )

Looking forward to the taper and getting out there in Duluth!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey I haven't seen anything about Boston 2023 on the BAA website. Only 2022. I fully expect COVID 19 to be a non-issue by then especially when locally we have 16% positivity rates, tests are being trashed due to expiring, masks are done, there is an election coming up, and 12 months ago all this nonsense DID stop society in my area. BAA is just going to sit around and wait another 9 months before telling people, after they paid their non-refundable race entry fee they require proof of being triple boosted and vaccinated since actually proving you had covid means you're not allowed in society because of all those damn lawsuits against organizations spreading covid like that big concert in Chicago, and that other big mass social gathering.....so I'll see you in 2023.

JMac understood. Major difference in the weather in an hour. Also, a poncho makes it really easy to urinate in public with less people noticing. The guy on the subway might not have been worried about getting wet from fog. #TheMoreYouKnow

I think 57:16 was the exact thing you needed. It MADE you push. I've been at that point. "well I can't give up now" is what I believe you intended to say when "shit" was what you ACTUALLY said. I wonder if the dead guy had covid.

Lastly, if you understood my questions about which race and goal to pick as being facetious please do forgive me as these were not my intentions. I've still not signed up for a marathon including the infamous International Marathon of the Californias.

dwave  Sorry, haven't been around reading much. Are the nerves firing on all cylinders now, or is the steroid injection still a work in progress?

My week:

Took my oldest on a run (he rode the bike) Thursday, after taking the youngest to swimming. Totally killed my plan for an hour run, but it kind of wound him down and gave my wife 40 minutes of listening to a baby cry himself to sleep. The oldest would NOT go any faster than he wanted, and he's typically in need of being told to slow down. He told me his legs were tired. Twice. To which I told him "ok well we're almost home" which was a lie, partially, since it was a mile the first time and half the second. He hopped off the bike and told me his legs were tired, then wanted to race me on foot.

Friday was actually a 3 hour long run with a relay team I'm doing, and a complete abuse of WFH. I be 110% in the office starting June 1 due to circumstances out of my control, and I found it to be complete bullshit so I took my Friday to fuck off just like other people in the office have done. I really don't care because I had my work done. Plus I had WAAAAAAY more enjoyable time running at a massively slow pace with a girl I'd never met than I would doing it much faster. fuck work. seriously. I have more important shit in my life than work. Theyr'e the ones who told me some amount of workplace distraction is to be expected, so I expect them to understand I consolidate my weekly distractions to one day.

EDIT: Girl I chatted with (yes for three hours and fifteen minutes) said she'd PR'd the marathon last December at CIM, and asked what I thought about the carbon shoes. I instantly liked this woman.

in ft
                          05/16 That time it isn’t because I’m afraid of the Hawk that attacked me yesterday. 7.01 11.27 00:58:37 08:22 05:12 456
                          05/17 That time I took twelve ounces to tackle Toll. 9.01 14.49 01:18:00 08:39 05:23 873
                          05/18 That time there wasn’t much reason to try much harder. 8.39 13.51 01:09:54 08:20 05:10 397
                          05/19 That time it is NVRQWIT like race day. 2.02 3.25 00:27:23 13:33 08:26 39
                          05/20 That time I ran with my RTO teammates. 20.01 32.20 03:16:08 09:48 06:05 676
                          05/21 That time I wasn’t sure what to expect. 11.44 18.40 01:35:49 08:23 05:12 262
                          05/22 That time I don’t like the option of making it up. 7.44 11.98 01:02:26 08:23 05:13 318

Total distance: 65.32mi

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Some dude was sitting on the subway in a poncho. I don't think he understands how fog works.

I laughed at this.  Good report and way to empty the tank to get that PR. Wet boardwalk is a cruel joke at that point in the race.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Speed Surplus

Jmac - Congrats on the PR and nice race report. We just had a dramatic shift in weather here and I'm starting to get antsy about what I'll get on race day. It's completely unpredictable though, being at some elevation (2600 feet) and surrounded by mountains. Last time it was in the 30s and snowing/raining at the start. I was panicking about my gear. At the very last moment, it stopped raining, and I made the call to ditch my jacket. Turned out to be the right move as the rain held off and the temp got up to a reasonable level, but it was literally a decision I made 30 seconds before the start.

dw - Wild how big a difference a hormonal change can make. Hope the new setup works well for you!

RP - 65 miles with a random 20 miler in there? I may have missed it, but what's next on the racing calendar? What are your goals (if any) in various distances now that you've BQd a few times?

JT - Great looking week.

zebano - I missed it - what distance of Tri are you doing? What's the goal? Triathlons intrigue me, but I am not a strong swimmer.

My week. Ran too fast on Saturday and my hammies were tight on Sunday, so I shortened the planned 15 miler to 10 and took it very easy. It was also randomly 20 degrees hotter than it has been, so that was an adjustment. Feel kinda bad about it, but it felt like the right move being this close to the race.

05/17 I keep dressing poorly for the weather 7.03 11.31 00:56:02 07:58 04:57 299
                              05/18 Out minus the back. Wind mostly in my favor 7.01 11.27 00:54:58 07:50 04:53 518
                              05/19 Trying to outrun a bad mood 7.01 11.28 00:54:38 07:48 04:51 187
                              05/20 Ez breezy 7.01 11.27 00:55:36 07:56 04:56 249
                              05/21 Acid reflux and pukey 😵 Just got it over with 7.01 11.27 00:53:51 07:41 04:47 262
                              05/22 Tight hammies, playing it extremely safe 10.15 16.32 01:24:23 08:19 05:10 302

Total distance: 45.20mi

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

zebano

zebano - I missed it - what distance of Tri are you doing? What's the goal? Triathlons intrigue me, but I am not a strong swimmer.

My week. Ran too fast on Saturday and my hammies were tight on Sunday, so I shortened the planned 15 miler to 10 and took it very easy. It was also randomly 20 degrees hotter than it has been, so that was an adjustment. Feel kinda bad about it, but it felt like the right move being this close to the race.

No reason to feel bad about adjusting a run. The hay is in the barn.

I'm not sure I ever  stated but it's my first ever Olympic. I've done 4 sprints over the past few years and frankly I really like that the training forces me to not go crazy and injure myself running. As this is my first all goals are a WAG (Wild Ass Guess). I'm a poor swimmer and in particular have trouble sighting and swimming straight in open water. However, it will be wetsuit legal which adds buoyancy so I'm just hoping to swim at 2 min/100m over 1500m = 30 minutes. I think I can do 1:45-1:50 but the weak goal  is part correction for not swimming straight and part that I want to be really conservative at the start of the race. For reference my best ever sprint pace was 500m at 1:35/100meters so the pace is quite slow compared to that.

For the bike, I managed a 20km bike as part of a sprint at 23mph last year so for 40km I'm hoping to stay above 20mph which would make it a 75 minute endeavor but honestly I don't have a bike computer and looking at the watch is super awkward so I'm just going to race at something that feels like marathon effort with a goal of knowing I went hard but having enough left to hammer the run. I'm planning on having a bottle of skratch, and 3 SiS gels on the bike as part of early testing of nutrition for the marathon. I'm also planning 2 stroopwafels, 1 pre-swim and 1 postswim.

The run is a 10k so frankly I'd like to come close to my PR from last year but anything sub-7min/mile pace will make me happy (and I had a dream I finally broke 40). assuming the weather is decent. Currently the day shows low of 58, high of 82 with minimal humidity so that would be amazing.