2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Krash 50 mile weeks for a sub 3. man I wish....I could let myself run only 50 miles then pull off a sub 3. Your speed work should be fun to see on Strava. I can't bring myself to do it in the mornings. St. George should be a good race to run. I just looked up the medals from years past and they look kinda cool. Too bad they aren't beer bottles of Mountain Dew openers. I'm still kind of keeping an eye out for Dew Zero.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A local Masters runner I know ran 2:27 at 44 a week or so back.  A couple days before his 45th birthday.

Most runners I know haven't actually heard of it though, so I'm assuming it started on an internet forum somewhere.

I know a guy from Kenya who ran minus 32 under his age a few years back. Just a couple of months before 34th birthday.

You're right though, probably made up on the Internet somehwere. We'll never know the origin of it. Maybe Mikkey knows? I doubt it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I know OF a guy from Kenya who ran minus 32 under his age a few years back. Just a couple of months before 34th birthday.

Fixed it for you.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey will know for sure.

It was a guy on the old RW forums who generously has the mugs engraved and sent out.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Mikkey will know for sure.

It was a guy on the old RW forums who generously has the mugs engraved and sent out.

No, that is not the guy. That guy you are talking about, his best time was ~2:41, I think and he set it when he was around 50 yo.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Yup. It was Rbbmoose (real name Ray Bentley).  Great idea to create a goal in between BQ and OTQ.  He could do it pretty easily until he was hobbled by lyme disease.

Calbearsfan - nice 100K!

Jmac - nice 1/2M PR on a warm muggy day!   (...and i liked your pic of the cyclone...  Woody Allen grew up under it)

darkwave - retroflexed?!  Who'd a thunk?

Hey to everybody!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yup. It was Rbbmoose (real name Ray Bentley).  Great idea to create a goal in between BQ and OTQ.  He could do it pretty easily until he was hobbled by lyme disease.

Good to see you! I stayed down at the finish longer than usual. That Coney Island Brewery is real nice. Beers extra tasty at 9:00 am . I forgot rbb had gotten Lyme, very sad. He always seemed like a good guy based on what I saw of him back on the RW forums, although it was past his prime.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac a  couple of youtubers I follow have the Brooklyn half on their channels. You might catch a glimpse of yourself. It's Kofuzi and Ben Parkes

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac a  couple of youtubers I follow have the Brooklyn half on their channels. You might catch a glimpse of yourself. It's Kofuzi and Ben Parkes

I must have passed that guy Ben Parkes somehwere between 5 and 10k based upon his splits, but didn't see anyone with a gopro or selfie stick. He must have put it down? Anyway good stuff thanks for sharing. Gives you a good idea of how the fog helped, but he did say those were some of the hardest conditions he's raced in, so I'll give myself a pat on the back 

Marky_Mark_17

Gives you a good idea of how the fog helped, but he did say those were some of the hardest conditions he's raced in, so I'll give myself a pat on the back 

I thought you had Mikkey to do that for you?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark the Waltons would never have said that 

Resident Historian

I guess if Jmac makes me the historian it's because I'm older than Methuselah, and my running shows it!

Rovatti is correct. I've forgotten the actual conversation, but it originated on the old Runnersworld Online Marathon Training forum (which was definitely not a Walton's forum) around 2007 or 2008(?). The group was discussing a goal between BQ and OTQ, and settled on 2 hrs+age for men, and slightly later, 2:20+age for women. Rbbmoose was in the discussion, then stepped up to provide and engrave the mugs.

Eventually RWOL and then Running Times were folded by RW. This RunningAhead forum, Runango, and a "Running Friends" group on FB are indirect successors to RWOL Marathon Training, so the Moose Mug concept has been passed down. Ray continues to support it. Strangely in these days of "RULES", I don't think eligibility for the Moose Mug has ever been defined. Sometimes it seems that if a runner is somehow connected to the award, the Mug will appear when they qualify.

Ray recently retired from his family company (Bentley Systems (engineering software), now a $1 billion revenue public company.
                            I'm sure he'll have more time to enjoy his car collection!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I'm also a refugee from the runners world forums, I even had to herd people this way when that one was taken down.

I remember fondly there was a "marathon jerks" thread there for people running sub 2h40.

Those were the times, though Jmac wouldn't know as he was still being let off his pacifier at the time.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

3000 years ago

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly