2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

I accept your apology 

No, that is not the guy. That guy you are talking about, his best time was ~2:41, I think and he set it when he was around 50 yo.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Ian5

I decided to hop in to a local 5k last night to give myself an idea of where I am speed wise.It was along the sea front and we had a slight tailwind for 3.5k,but a lot of sand on the path probably balanced it out.Finished in 19:48,so quite away from my best, but I'll do another in a couple of months and see how much I  an improve by.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm also a refugee from the runners world forums, I even had to herd people this way when that one was taken down.

I remember fondly there was a "marathon jerks" thread there for people running sub 2h40.

Those were the times, though Jmac wouldn't know as he was still being let off his pacifier at the time.

If I remember correctly, I think it was andres who recommended this place at the final collapse, or at least helped coordinate a lot of it? I wasn't around for the original RWOL collapse though, only v2. Flavio we need some of your favorite stories too!

Anyway the moose mugs and competitive jerks thread was sub 245 right? Longboat thanks for the history, and yeah that place was definitely not for the Waltons. I can't imagine how much crying there would be about "bullying" like there is on here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry Ian you're getting caught in the crossfire of old men (myself included even though flavio thinks I'm running around NYC posting Tik Toks with my fellow young whippersnappers).

Anyway, it's a start! Sand would definitely slow me down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

The story of Slammin changing his name to Nimmals was a pretty hardcore one 

I already joined here before the collapse but it was pretty quiet on here compared to RW.

I didn't really get the user groups thing on here.

We created alot of controversy by having these training threads in the main forum 

Resident Historian

I remember fondly there was a "marathon jerks" thread there for people running sub 2h40.

Competitive Jerks (and not just for sub-2:40).

Printed the week before the race. and yes, we did win. Moose Mug winners irunfor beer, Kayry, corinac, and cinnamon were the scoring team members.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey will know for sure.

It was a guy on the old RW forums who generously has the mugs engraved and sent out.

And he very generously shipped the mugs free of charge even to the UK and Australia!  The only countries he doesn’t ship to are China and NZ.

It’s only one mug per person iirc which means you can’t claim another one even if you run a faster time at an older age….Slammin was around 42yo when he won his and then ran much faster at 47yo.

Krash - Impressive running and racing history and I’m sure you’ve got the knowledge and experience to hit your goal. 👍

Ian - Congrats on the 5k and it’s still a good speed session even if it wasn’t the result you wanted.

The Milkman is obviously my favourite jerk on this thread. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is so freakin cool. See, being the Historian is a great role to have! I always forget about cinnamon - she kept trying to come back to these threads after I started but it just never happened where we could track her training.

Dad - I'm glad I make you proud   

Competitive Jerks (and not just for sub-2:40).

Printed the week before the race. and yes, we did win. Moose Mug winners irunfor beer, Kayry, corinac, and cinnamon were the scoring team members.

weatherboy80

Just chiming in to congratulate JMac on his HM PR!!  Think you are really primed to knock out a new marathon PR as well assuming you get decent weather in a few weeks.  Think this race result combined with your volume will pay huge dividends!

Following a couple solid weeks evidenced by my workouts and 5k's (that were improving) I have really struggled the past 2 weeks both in the day to day health department and in running in general.  Thinking that the my recent uptick in intensity combined with the FL heat, travel for work, and possibly a lingering sinus infection triggered a massive relapse in my POTS symptoms (tachycardia upon standing, dizziness, insomnia, brain fog, GI issues, etc ...).   For example, after my super easy run on Tuesday I was walking to the bathroom to cool down and noticed my HR was about 110 (a bit high for me upon recovering), but as soon as I stood in place to use the urinal I watched my HR soar to over 130 and it then proceeded to drop again after I walked around   Apparently this is common in many low blood volume cases such as POTS and in long covid in general.  Long story short my endo recommended that I stress dose my florinef along with increase salt (which is used to expand blood volume in POTS) based on how much sweat and fluids I lose just in easy running here in FL so praying that works out.  Big question I have going forward is how much can I increase the volume and/or intensity without triggering relapses.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'm also a refugee from the runners world forums, I even had to herd people this way when that one was taken down.

Those were the times, though Jmac wouldn't know as he was still being let off his pacifier at the time.

I was changing his nappies in 2008 when I joined the Sub3:20 on RWOL (this was before the popular 3:20 and Beyond thread) and ran my 2nd marathon in 3:15 at Amsterdam which included a half PR of 1:33.  Happy days!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Weatherboy - It seems bizarre that you’ve had these health issues straight after the vaccine shot.

Did you actually get covid prior to your vaccines which I assume is why you think it’s “long covid”?

Thankfully some news channels in the UK are now starting to highlight the growing number of vaccine damaged (previously healthy) people who’ve had their lives ruined and still waiting for compensation from the government. All swept under the carpet. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - thank you! And that is tough to hear. It must be the heat getting to you. Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear about this. Will keep a close eye on Strava.

Mikkey - was it your or Cal who finally annoyed Nimmals enough that he stopped posting here? I want more of the backstory there!

CalBears

Mikkey - was it your or Cal who finally annoyed Nimmals enough that he stopped posting here? I want more of the backstory there!

I think it was me. Mikkey, though kind of very direct sometimes, is still a product of capitalism - where you have to smile or you might be killed. In my original country weapons are not sold to the population. In all years I lived and followed my motherland, there was no one tragedy similar (not even close) to recent horror in Texas (or in Buffalo), and that stuff happens in the States so often and repeatedly. 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve always liked Slammin, but his accusations against Cal were totally false and I made my feelings clear. Slammin then blocked me on Strava!  Oh the drama!

No it was the guy from Brazil who was wanted by the FBI