2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

I have heard that people with small hearts have a higher heart rate as they beat faster to get enough blood around the body.

I'm running with a mate shortly who is very fit but his heart rate will be 150 when I'm 135.

He's quite small 5'4 and wears women size shoes....

I know shamefull 

I remembered reading about elephants having a low HR and looked up some animal HRs, pretty interesting and the trend is clear: the bigger the animal the lower the HR.

Pygmy shrew: up to 1511 (fastest ever measured)

Hummingbird: up to 1260 (!!!)

Mouse: 500-700

Cow: 48-84

Elephant: 30

Blue whale: between 2-34 (2 when going for deep dives)

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

I remembered reading about elephants having a low HR and looked up some animal HRs, pretty interesting and the trend is clear: the bigger the animal the lower the HR.

Pygmy shrew: up to 1511 (fastest ever measured)

Hummingbird: up to 1260 (!!!)

Mouse: 500-700

Cow: 48-84

Elephant: 30

Blue whale: between 2-34 (2 when going for deep dives)

It's fairly well documented that well-trained endurance athletes do have slightly enlarged hearts compared to the average person (this is why resting HR tends to drop as someone trains more).  But equally everyone is probably still starting from a slightly different point regardless based just on genetics etc.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

That's interesting on all those animals heart rates JT.

My 15k run this morning had mine at 132 bpm and my mate at 157 bpm.

Do people actually run marathons slower than 3 hours ? 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's interesting on all those animals heart rates JT.

My 15k run this morning had mine at 132 bpm and my mate at 157 bpm.

Do people actually run marathons slower than 3 hours ? 

OH my God I forgot you're the only other guy I know! Man, every time I talk to you I feel less like a man. Only runs sub 3s, fishes all the time, surfs, while I'm out here feeling proud because I figured out how to fix a refrigerator that had an error code 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

OH my God I forgot you're the only other guy I know! Man, every time I talk to you I feel less like a man. Only runs sub 3s, fishes all the time, surfs, while I'm out here feeling proud because I figured out how to fix a refrigerator that had an error code 

I thought you said you knew a guy who went 32min under a Moose Mug time?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Nice to see my easy run question generated so many comments 

For what it's worth,I've got my max at 188 and I try and keep all my easy runs,which is the vast majority,at under 140,I read somewhere that 70-75% is the sweet zone,hence those numbers.

My conversion is pretty poor,but despite doing lots of marathons I've never managed to train properly,and by properly I mean 60 mile weeks,my best average is 43 which I'm hoping to improve on this cycle,which should give me some more minutes off my time.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My conversion is pretty poor,but despite doing lots of marathons I've never managed to train properly,and by properly I mean 60 mile weeks,my best average is 43 which I'm hoping to improve on this cycle,which should give me some more minutes off my time.

Yep, I think bumping up to 60mpw will make a big difference. In 2009 I ran 4 marathons (3x3:09 and a 3:08) and was averaging low 40s. The next cycle I made a point of hitting 60mpw which meant my easy pace slowed down to 9min/mile+ on occasions. I went to Barcelona and ran a near even split 2:57 and couldn’t believe how easy it felt when you put the miles in and get the pace right! I didn’t even notice that hill at the end. 

But generally my easy pace is between 1 and 2min slower than GMP.  My MP HR is always close to 160bpm and easy pace between 130/145bpm. Recovery would be 120/130bpm. I’m not sure if I’ve ever gone below 120.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I thought you said you knew a guy who went 32min under a Moose Mug time?

Yes, the GOAT, no debate about it. The rest of us suck, running our marathons over 3 hours to start.

Similar to your story, my first marathon of 3:12 was a pain filled disaster. I remember running downhill was the hardest thing because my legs just weren't ready for the pounding of the race. The next race was a 2:54 a couple of years later and I was basically waving to the crowd at the end.

The only real difference was my first marathon averaged around 40 mpw for the 12 weeks prior and the next one was above 50. I think 60 mpw is a great average to target for most runners to get a very good converted time if you can do it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

My first was 4:24,on 2 runs a week. I was delighted to run it all and not walk.Then again I had only started running a year earlier after 30 years of doing nothing so just finishing was a miracle in itself.

I am hoping to average over 50 and top at 65,it's what I did in 2020 but couldn't find a race,and felt in the best shape ever.

I checked my mileage for Boston and averaged about 22 since January,3:14 was a great result off that 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My first was 4:24,on 2 runs a week. I was delighted to run it all and not walk.Then again I had only started running a year earlier after 30 years of doing nothing so just finishing was a miracle in itself.

I am hoping to average over 50 and top at 65,it's what I did in 2020 but couldn't find a race,and felt in the best shape ever.

I checked my mileage for Boston and averaged about 22 since January,3:14 was a great result off that 

My first was the Belfast Marathon in 2008 and ended up averaging 9mpw after suffering 2 beginners injuries from being over enthusiastic. I finished in 3:46 and it was the only time I’ve ever stopped to have a pee…because I drank 10 gallons of water before the start.    I also ended up with bleeding nipples as I placed my bib too high with the top safety pins rubbing on them. 

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who runs a sub3 first time with no rookie mistakes!  I tip my hat to Marky, Piwi and Kipchoge. 👏

Ian - Just get the miles in and don’t worry if the easy pace becomes slower and see how that works out.  Cal and MattM had great success with easy pace high mileage which resulted in fast marathon times. 👍

Thanks Mikkey. I did get a bit lucky with weather etc and got a 2.59 in my first.

Weekly mileage was about 60 mpw via Pfitz 18/70.

More mileage unfortunately doesn't agree with me so my marathon potential is fairly limited.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My first marathon was a 3:08, split as 1:36/1:32.  Went great, felt easy - I loved marathons.  

It took me another 8 marathons to beat that time (during that time, I learned to respect the marathon)

JMac- you asked about my use of the word factoid?  I googled it, and apparently I was using the word wrong.  I was using "factoid" to mean "thing I read that I think is a fact but read it on the internet, so take with a grain of salt."  But apparently "factoid" means something that is commonly believed to be a fact but is actually not true."

My week

27 miles running, 6:30 hours pool-running, and 500 meters of swimming.
                          M: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core
                          T: 8 miles - attempted a track workout but dropped halfway through first rep when it felt like the last 200m of a 5K race. Tried to do it on treadmill, but did one 3 minute rep and then done.
                          W: 90 minutes pool-running
                          Th: 90 minutes pool-running and some leg strengthwork
                          F: 90 minutes pool-running, including 20x1 minute hard/1 minute easy, plus 4x30 seconds very hard/1 minute easy. Followed with upper body weights/core.
                          Sa: 8 miles (10:08), drills and hill strides, and streaming yoga.
                          Su: 12 miles progressive, split as 4 miles averaging 9:30, next 4 miles averaging 8:37, and next 4 miles averaging 7:42. Followed with 30 minutes pool-running, leg strengthwork, and 500 meters swimming.

Kinda a sucky week.  I attempted a workout on Tuesday, but felt very short of breath, and pulled the plug very early.  I walked home and hopped on the treadmill, thinking that it might have just been the weather, but I didn't do much better on the treadmill.  And that was my cue to take a few days inside in the pool.

I suspect this is all adjustment to the estrogen gel I started last week, so I'm just going to hang tight for another week or two and see how things go.

Incidentally, I got some bloodwork results back - haven't had a chance to discuss with the doctor, but to my uneducated eye the bloodwork seems consistent with menopause - no estrogen, and FSH very high (FSH gets very high when you enter menopause).  So....that might explain many of the issues I've been struggling with over the past 2 years or so - menopause is not an on/off switch, but rather a transition where your female hormones start to splutter and bounce all over the place before stopping - a transition that takes years, and in my case was probably masked to some extent by my use of continuous birth control.

So now I have to wait for things to settle and see what my new normal is.  The gynecologist said that it generally takes about 6 weeks to know if estrogen is working and at the correct dose, so I'll just have to be patient.

In the meantime, Jmac I'm sorry to say that I likely will not be going to Grandma's this year.  I just don't see the point in going up there to jog the half-marathon for fun (if it was a shorter, easier trip I might).  (Of course, if things turn around next week, I may change my mind)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

Darkwave-If it is indeed the menopause, does that mean there's a way you can see to get back to your old self running wise? Apologies if that's a stupid question but my knowledge is non existent.

Another small increase in miles this week here,all nice enough except today when I got absolutely drenched on my run.

The other reason I want to get my miles up again,is it really helps me drop weight,and as a bigger guy every bit helps.

Weekly for period: From: 05/30/2022 To 06/05/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                            in ft
                            05/30 Afternoon Run 7.02 11.30 00:59:27 08:28 05:16 315
                            06/01 Afternoon Run 8.67 13.94 01:12:37 08:23 05:13 430
                            06/02 Afternoon Run 14.31 23.02 02:05:34 08:46 05:27 640
                            06/04 Afternoon Run 7.72 12.42 01:06:14 08:35 05:20 420
                            06/05 Afternoon Run 7.08 11.40 01:01:03 08:37 05:21 315

Total distance: 44.80mi

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave-If it is indeed the menopause, does that mean there's a way you can see to get back to your old self running wise? Apologies if that's a stupid question but my knowledge is non existent.

Honestly, I don't know.

Basically, for men, you age as your hormones steadily decline over time.

Whereas for women, those hormones drop steadily but slowly, and then at some point go over a cliff.  And I'm apparently now on the other side of that cliff.    And that's really depressing.

OTOH, there are a few women who run really well in their mid-50s - presumably post-menopause.  Assuming that they haven't given in to the siren call of testosterone/HGH/etc, that must mean that it's not impossible to run fast post-menopause.

Only one way to find out, I guess.

Nice consistent week for you (even with the drenching).  Interesting to do your long run on a weekday afternoon - was that related to the Jubilee?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

Darkwave-Well I hope you're one of the ones who comes out fast still.

It was the only day I could finish work a little earlier as I was working all this weekend and I knew I wouldn't fancy running much after work.I much prefer running in the afternoon,it's rare I run much before 4pm.