2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Funny you say that because where I got bit was perhaps the only real "woody" part of the run I did and it was only 100 feet long! Yet somehow they got me. I stayed away from that for the next 2 runs.

SC - we gotta toughen you up in here. Music in races? Next you'll be training in the dead zone and watching TV on your treadmill.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

There’s nothing wrong with listening to a bit of music during a marathon. I was rocking out to Green Day when I ran my first sub 3 at Barcelona. 🤘

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Speed Surplus

SC - we gotta toughen you up in here. Music in races? Next you'll be training in the dead zone and watching TV on your treadmill.

Haha - I only use music for races 13.1 and up. Actually I lied. I listened to music during a trail 10-miler a couple years back as well.

Here's the kit from last time, rolled-up armwarmers can be seen around my wrists

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So….who has raced with music?!!

Good or bad?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ran my first NYCM with music because I was convinced I needed it to motivate me at the end. I realized it was so loud throughout the course that I didn't need it. Never ran with music again. It was tough those first few shorter races but I got used to it. I still run with music 90 percent of my training runs though.

Most likely time not running with music? Recovery runs. Going out for a nice slow 45 minutes with just your thoughts is quite blissful.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Good or bad?

Did in my first couple of races.  Haven't in 6+ years.  It worked for me then I guess but now I find it to be a distraction in races and workouts and would rather focus on my rhythm and effort.  Or like Jmac says, just enjoying the ride.

The only time I listen to music is on long runs.  Even then I have an old ipod nano I use for that as I hate lugging a phone around when running.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Good or bad?

Ran with music my last 2 marathons - found it advantageous - though, two factors should be taken into account - both marathons had almost 0 crowd support and second - every song on my playlist had a 192-193 bpm, so, I believed it helped me a lot with keeping legs moving. I also agree with JMac - I hardly imagine running with music at Boston or first half of Chicago - you do not need extra motivation there - the crowd support is surely enough to keep you moving (I am sure the same relates to New York, London or Berlin). Plus - it's definitely more authentic and energetic than any music beat.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've got a pair of wireless headphones with an in-built MP3 player so I can run with just the headphones, or put my phone into my flipbelt if I want to listen to a podcast.  At the moment I only do that on my longer runs as they build towards 2+ hours.  Helps get through that first hour when it feels like there's a long time to go and I'm going easy and getting bored.  If I have a workout component at the end I might flick over to music.  I haven't run a race with music since the infamous Waterfront 2018 - after I went wobbly and collapsed at 15km, I got back up and tried to just jog to the finish.  I had my music on and it was making me feel worse so I turned it off - music might inspire me to go for it when I'm feeling good but when I'm in a world of hurt I just need the sounds around me, and be able to hear the encouragement of the volunteers and the crowd.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

when I'm in a world of hurt I just need the sounds around me, and be able to hear the encouragement of the volunteers and the crowd.

That's so funny. I found the opposite and have heard others say it too. Boston 19 I was hurting so bad and every person that said "it's all downhill from here!" with 5 more miles to go made me so upset.

Cal - I actually have found as I've gotten faster, something about the silence and a group of 3 to 5 people working together with just the pitter patter of their feet to be so motivating. It's one reason I talk a lot about finding races with "fast" runners. It's much more motivating to me than being out there by myself with a crowd. Running with the A group for women OTQ (2:37) was so amazing at CIM. I was just in awe of these women. Taking away the amazing weather of that race, which is the number one draw, knowing you will be in a group at all times is the biggest draw to me.

A "fast" course with no crowd support and few fast runners? Just not for me.

Speed Surplus

"A "fast" course with no crowd support and few fast runners? Just not for me."

Oh, that's interesting. I like both.

During Tunnel last time, I was solo almost the whole way. I had music and the scenery was beautiful. Really liked it.

I've been in bigger races with bands and tons of people around, and they had their appeal. When I get to Botswana I'm planning on running without music to just soak it all in. But then again, I also won't care as much about my time - I'll be treating it more like a victory lap, although I do plan on being fit and going at a decent clip.

I only listen to music on ~50% of my runs. Longer ones, more often. I would like to get into some kind of training group so that I can run with others around the same pace on the regular, but that hasn't been in the cards lately - my schedule is too weird. As my kids are becoming old enough to leave alone at home by themselves, it might be viable in the coming years.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

I've never run with headphones ever.

I should try it perhaps on solo long runs to break up the monotony.

At the moment I have a couple of mates to do Sunday runs with and that makes them so much easier as we talk the whole way.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I've got a pair of wireless headphones with an in-built MP3 player so I can run with just the headphones, or put my phone into my flipbelt if I want to listen to a podcast.  At the moment I only do that on my longer runs as they build towards 2+ hours.  Helps get through that first hour when it feels like there's a long time to go and I'm going easy and getting bored.  If I have a workout component at the end I might flick over to music.  I haven't run a race with music since the infamous Waterfront 2018 - after I went wobbly and collapsed at 15km, I got back up and tried to just jog to the finish.  I had my music on and it was making me feel worse so I turned it off - music might inspire me to go for it when I'm feeling good but when I'm in a world of hurt I just need the sounds around me, and be able to hear the encouragement of the volunteers and the crowd.

I can relate to that and think I stopped racing with music after London marathon 2017.

I always listen to music during training runs though and use an iPod shuffle with wired headphones.

I've never run outside with music, but often have something on the TV when I'm on the treadmill. Usually either Tool, Rush, or Iron Maiden (Flight 666 concert). Good stuff to run to!

2:52:16 (2018)

Ian5

I used to always run with music,races and training then I had a race that didn't allow music and I enjoyed it more so don't listen in races at all now,I'd say I'm about 50/50 on training runs,I live in quite a built up area so it's not always the safest yo have no hearing.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Running Problem

Problem Child

Funny you say that because where I got bit was perhaps the only real "woody" part of the run I did and it was only 100 feet long! Yet somehow they got me. I stayed away from that for the next 2 runs.

Clearly you've never channeled your inner demons or matched songs to your cadence for the optimal 180-190 steps per minute. Who needs headphones when you can sing in your head? CoCoMelon and Little Baby Bum are sweet jams. I've put this one on repeat in my head.

First half marathon. Jurassic 5 has a song I repeated about 4 or 5 times (it's a long one) because it matched my cadence and kept me from walking. I was probably wearing Yurbuds at the time because they were comfortable. I'd been LISTENING TO MUSIC WHILE I RAN EVERY SINGLE DAY INCLUDING TRAINING DAYS. I had also listened to music while lifting weights solo.

When I'm in a world of hurt I think of what this forum is saying based on my race performance up to the point of hurting and think "well I can't let them down. Plus this will make for a good story."

I had a few people tell me they built playlists, the equivalent of burning CDs/making mix tapes for the 40+ crowd, for their recent marathons. I believe one had an audiobook for a 4 hour marathon where the book explains how you feel at that point or something.

Listening to music means I'm not listening to my body. I can't listen to audiobooks because I drown them out. Sadly, when I'm at work I'll drown out an audiobook, but I cannot drown out the assholes around me just chatting to chat. One who does Toastmasters says "um" so many times I laugh knowing he doesn't use his Toastmaster skills outside of work. It's like being a Sub 3 marathoner and not running fast everywhere you go. Waste of training.

sc The local "groups" around here died due to COVID 19. Literally. March 2020 stopped all group activities, and the people who took over never put in the energy to keep them going. I actually stumbled into a running partner I'd not known I'd run with and he's my regular Saturday morning. The "unusual schedule" of having kids makes the 5-5:30am 2 hour long run about the only thing on weekends I regularly schedule, until he has some weekend activity planned we have to work around. The only guy I know who might live "near" you is up by Green Lake, and he talked about a group doing Monday track works. He might only be available for long runs, and even then his schedule might not mesh "because kids ruin everything."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22