2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Ian5

JMac-I usually feel fine a couple of days out,it's nice when you feel the bounce coming back,but before Boston I felt rough even the day before,put it down to the flight across.

Just downloaded the app to track you on Saturday,are many races on Saturday over there? We rarely have any that aren't Sundays.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

zebano

If only this "common courtesy" was shared by the 5k runners closing down streets to raise awareness to those with a lack of stamina.  I'm sure it is difficult to think about anything other than finishing when the body is pumping blood hard for 20 minutes. Make sure you rehydrate with a finely crafted "India Pale Ale" and some fruit like those 20 minute footyball matches you played as a kid.

Hey now after my footbally matches I only ever drank Capri sun thank you very much but we always got a refreshing icey-pop too, I wouldn't mind getting one of those during my onerous 5k marathons!

I will make sure to drink all the fine IPAs and let you know how delicious they are since RDs have no idea how to purchase enough for all runners. Now if you had some proper stamina you'd be crushing ultras while drinking your finely crafted beer like Camile Herron but I'm man enough to tip my hat and give her a hearty attagirl.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Speed Surplus

"raise awareness to those with a lack of stamina."

😂 love it

Someone won the local parkrun a few years ago and listed their track club as the "Derek Zoolander Centre for Kids Who Can't Run Good."

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey now after my footbally matches I only ever drank Capri sun thank you very much

I'm just gonna drop this one off for inspiration.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey now after my footbally matches I only ever drank Capri sun thank you very much

It better be Pacific Cooler, or whatever one it is with the surfer on it.

Camile Herron passed me, and my runner, at Western States in 2021 right after the Quarry Road aid station on the way to the turn Jim Walmsley missed. She wasn't drinking beer. She was bleeding, smiling, and pulling away from us. She's much taller than I anticipated her being.

RDs wouldn't know the difference between a Hazy, West Coast, East Coast/New England, double, Triple, or India Pale Ale. Call me when you're ready to step up to an Imperia India Pale Ale.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac-I usually feel fine a couple of days out,it's nice when you feel the bounce coming back,but before Boston I felt rough even the day before,put it down to the flight across.

Just downloaded the app to track you on Saturday,are many races on Saturday over there? We rarely have any that aren't Sundays.

It's all over the place. Most marathons are on Sundays, but Grandma's and Boston (Monday) are the notable big exceptions. For smaller races, I'd say it's a fairly equal mix on Saturday and Sunday.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I love a Saturday race, mainly because I enjoy Saturday beers although after a big Sunday race I'll take Monday off anyway.

Taper madness is such a weird beast.  Before Southern Lakes I had 3 days of my easy run shakeouts with a very sore achilles for the first 2km, which came out of nowhere.  The day before the race I was wondering if I'd get through the race, but on race day it went away never to return.  I had a similar experience with my ankle before one of the Waterfront races in Auckland.  But usually I just feel sluggish even at easy pace, and have such stupid thoughts as "if easy pace is this hard, how will I manage a race at target pace" and it generally comes right on race day.

When I have a bad race, I never have that taper sluggishness on race morning, it usually involves a fade and/or crash in the second half.

I know that achilles was genuinely sore but looking back, I still wonder if I just imagined it...so I wouldn't worry about it even if it continues until Friday.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's all over the place. Most marathons are on Sundays, but Grandma's and Boston (Monday) are the notable big exceptions. For smaller races, I'd say it's a fairly equal mix on Saturday and Sunday.

My understanding is that in Utah nearly all races are held on Saturday, due to the religious nature of that state.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Nevada isn't considered a religious state and lots of races are on Saturdays. There are a few on Sundays locally and just like everyone else feels "It's always been this way so why would we change when we see nothing wrong with the way we're doing things."

https://www.runningintheusa.com/classic/list/nv/upcoming/page-1

Sunday races are as antiquated as slavery, manual transmissions (yes I can drive one), fax machines, slide rulers, and libraries.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Most races here are on Sundays, but there's a significant number on Saturdays as well... maybe 65% vs. 35%.

I quite like Sunday races because you have the benefit of Saturday to sit around watching TV and doing nothing, as opposed to going straight into a race Saturday morning if you've had a very busy Friday at work.  Plus, if you're racing out of town, you can travel Saturday and race Sunday and not have to take the Friday off work.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

OMR

Regarding Grandmas and Saturday vs, Sunday, I think historically that has something to do with traffic flow and the culture of the North Shore.  Jmac, I hope the weather holds out for you, and that you get a cooling breeze off the lake.  I am on the other side of the state, and we have a forecasted high of 107 on Sunday...ridiculous for this time of year.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Most races here are on Sundays, but there's a significant number on Saturdays as well... maybe 65% vs. 35%.

I quite like Sunday races because you have the benefit of Saturday to sit around watching TV and doing nothing, as opposed to going straight into a race Saturday morning if you've had a very busy Friday at work.  Plus, if you're racing out of town, you can travel Saturday and race Sunday and not have to take the Friday off work.

Nothing like a Monday recovery day at work away from the kids and responsibilities to make you feel better.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Regarding Grandmas and Saturday vs, Sunday, I think historically that has something to do with traffic flow and the culture of the North Shore.  Jmac, I hope the weather holds out for you, and that you get a cooling breeze off the lake.  I am on the other side of the state, and we have a forecasted high of 107 on Sunday...ridiculous for this time of year.

Thanks! It looks like I'm going to completely luck out without the weather. For my half, I said I'd trade bad weather then for a great day in Duluth, and it looks like I'm getting this. I feel like as runners, we always feel like we get the opposite end of the stick, where the one bad weather day is the day of our race, but take a look at this forecast. It's like the weather gods are repaying me for all of those awful races in the past. Just a nice huge dip in the temps for Saturday, before it gets back to very hot by Monday and the humidity really increases.

Forecast-Duluth

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

That's great news JMac! Good luck on Saturday; I think you have an excellent chance to break 2:35 and get a Moose Mug.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's great news JMac! Good luck on Saturday; I think you have an excellent chance to break 2:35 and get a Moose Mug.

Thanks! My legs still feel like crap, but I know that's how it goes. Focusing on hydrating right now because I think that may be contributing to it (I tend to feel beat up more in the summer and I haven't really been hydrated all week).

Taking all of this into account, my recent half marathon, adjusted for weather, puts me in 2:35 shape. So let's set 3 goals, since I know how much ya'll love multiple goals:

A: 2:34:59 (MM)

B: 2:36:30 (PR)

C: 2:39:59 (something to fall back on to keep me pushing if something gives, which usually is my stomach)

I'm going to set my pace for PR pace, and if things feel good, I can get a negative split for the MM.