2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ugh - good luck!  (And this is why I always travel two days before a marathon - you were smart)

We talk about how this forum helps us. I remember YEARS ago when I first started posting here that you recommended this. At the time, I was only running NYC, but this stuck in my head. I'm so glad I did. Just praying my flight later tonight doesn't get cancelled as all of the flights tomorrow are fully booked. Luckily, I think this plane has to get to MSP as it's the final destination for this plane

I had even considered driving there, but it's 21 hours. I thought it was going to be like 12, which I could have done.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Ouch, that sucks and bound to provide unnecessary anxiety before the race.  Hopefully all goes to plan and the worst outcome is a sleep in, if you're able to sleep late.

If you faced another flight cancellation and couldn't get on another flight, I'll be handing over the title of unluckiest person on the forum with missed races.

Mikkey - Isn't it great how every western govt is driving us off a cliff while telling us how great everything is...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We talk about how this forum helps us. I remember YEARS ago when I first started posting here that you recommended this. At the time, I was only running NYC, but this stuck in my head. I'm so glad I did. Just praying my flight later tonight doesn't get cancelled as all of the flights tomorrow are fully booked. Luckily, I think this plane has to get to MSP as it's the final destination for this plane

I had even considered driving there, but it's 21 hours. I thought it was going to be like 12, which I could have done.

Milwaukee is 6 hours from Duluth; Chicago is 8.  Just FYI.

If it comes to that hopefully either DLS can grab your bib or I can connect you to one of my friends running it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flight cancelled again. This may not happen. Trying everything here

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

SH1T.

As I noted - Milwaukee is a direct flight from NYC and 6 hours drive to Duluth.

Alternately, if you can't make it to Duluth for Saturday, the Charlevoix Marathon in Northern Michigan is still open and will also happen on Saturday - small race, but supposedly a flat/fast course - if you can make that one happen, you can still get a marathon in off of this cycle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Insanity.  Hope you manage to find a solution, even if it does involve a long drive as per darkwave's suggestions.  Not the best prep at all.

The weather looks good in Charlevoix for Saturday.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Okay - I somehow have snagged a flight connecting in Memphis. For those not from the US, it's like trying to fly from England to Germany and connecting in Barcelona. But at this point - I don't care.

I should be able to get a good 8 hours sleep in my own bed tonight. Obviously a full day of travel tomorrow isn't ideal, but here's to hoping this somehow works. If things get cancelled tomorrow, then that's probably it for this race.

need2tri

Okay - I somehow have snagged a flight connecting in Memphis. For those not from the US, it's like trying to fly from England to Germany and connecting in Barcelona. But at this point - I don't care.

I should be able to get a good 8 hours sleep in my own bed tonight. Obviously a full day of travel tomorrow isn't ideal, but here's to hoping this somehow works. If things get cancelled tomorrow, then that's probably it for this race.

Good luck JMac! Hopefully this drama was a great distraction from taper madness. Looking forward to reading your RR. MM it is!

Damn good work Jmac. At least you will be there !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac damn dude. If I was in your shoes I would have been so pissed off I would have driven from my house to the race with no idea how far it ACTUALLY is and no concern about how many gallons of $6.25 diesel fuel I’d need. Hopefully the stress of the pre-races makes race day smooth.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Ian5

Jmac-Nightmare,having not posted today I presume at least you are on the way,hope you get there OK.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

zebano

ugg JMac, that's horrible. I hope you've finally found yourself a plane.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

OMR

Hope you make it, Jmac, the forecast looks amazing!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I had my THIRD flight cancelled in the middle of the night, no notice by Delta. I woke up at 545 and checked the app and it said cancelled.

I completely scrambled and found a flight out of Philadelphia at 845. Note it was 6 am at this point, and Philly is usually about a 2 hour drive. I booked the flight, threw all my new shit into a bag, and drove like a total madman from NYC to Philly as there were no flight out of any of the 3 major NYC airports into MSP. I probably broke about 10 traffic laws on the way, but got to the airport in a little over 90 minutes.

I didn't have tsa precheck, which was going to screw me, but found a kiosk, typed it in, and thank the Lord it worked. Flew through security, and made it to the gate in time.

After 3 flight cancelations and the worst 24 hour travel day of my life, I'm in Minnesota! Sadly, my wife and daughter were on another flight and they got cancelled AGAIN. So the plan to hang out after the race and enjoy post party is dead, which is very sad. But I'm here.

We'll have to see how all this stress, poor rest, and tons of travel impacts me. I hope not at all! So far I feel okay.

Ian5

Jmac-At least you are there,guessing nearly 24 hours to rest up and get ready.How come all flights are getting cancelled? Is it the same as here not enough staff etc?

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39