2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks JMac (and all). This is one of the bigger races which are obviously all certified. A friend on Strava somehow measured 21.47km (I was 21.3km) and was at a PB at 21.1 (and even 21.2) but missed out. No idea how she got that extra distance. There are lots of bends and she’d have to have run the tangents terribly.

My coach had me at slightly faster than MP. I’m actually not sure of the motive for that. I did feel really good but I hope I feel a bit better at halfway of the marathon.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

s.

JT - what's weird is my stomach in day to day life is pretty damn good. I eat anything and everything. But there's something about racing that just disagrees with me. I can't figure it out - I try "training" with water/gels, but maybe I just need to do it a lot more. I try to avoid nutrition in training too much so that I get a real boost in the race, but maybe that's wrong: maybe my limiting factor will never be carbs but my stomach and I need to hammer my stomach this summer/fall during training to get it better prepared. I still don't think that will help the stitches though: I can't believe how sore the right side of my stomach is.

Is that perhaps one of your core muscles, instead of your stomach?  I'm wondering if, when the stitch hit, you ended up twisting slightly as you ran, and the result was a sore muscle.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's definitely some muscle in there. It's in the same spot where the stitch was, and always is. Basically directly below the right rib, so I don't think it's a secondary thing. It's just I guess the consequence of having a stitch for almost 2 straight hours.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's definitely some muscle in there. It's in the same spot where the stitch was, and always is. Basically directly below the right rib, so I don't think it's a secondary thing. It's just I guess the consequence of having a stitch for almost 2 straight hours.

Do you do any core strength exercises?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Remember, the poor guy still has to drive back to NYC from Philadelphia....

I didn't see this until now. It's a semi sensitive topic to me, plus I look for opportunities to challenge people's thinking.

"He can have one or two beers. I didn't say to get drunk. It just might be an actual source of calories he can get in post-race."

Also, your hill/flat workout sounds much like my legs after running hills/trails in Nevada then 'running' (hiking) hills in Seattle, and then running a hill that night. Totally different set of muscles, and the pissed off ones are definitely underutilized.

So...there's really three ways to do it:

1) leg strengthwork about 8-12 hours BEFORE your running workout.

2) leg strengthwork immediately after your running workout.

3) leg strengthwork about 8-12 hours after your running workout.

I've done option 2 where "immediately" was actually "within a few hours or so" because dad life. I've also done workouts at noon and strength (TRX) workouts at 8pm "because dad life." I believe they helped. The BEST advice I received was do strength training the same day as running workouts. The logic was "this makes a rest day actually a rest day." Recently I've opted for zero speed/strength workout of any type other than running hills. Strength training is exhausting.

EDIT:

weekly. I'm kind of making this a big deal. I hit 10,000 ft of vertical gain in one week. I saw trail runners do this and imagine what it would be like. It is apparently possible if I set my mind to neglecting my family.

Weekly for period: From: 06/13/2022 To 06/19/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in ft
            06/13 Accomplish great things vs. look busy 1.10 1.77 00:27:11 24:43 15:21 26
            06/13 That time there are a lot of things ‘people here don’t do.’ 6.53 10.51 01:00:50 09:19 05:47 1119
            06/14 That time I re-learned something I already knew. 5.34 8.59 00:54:19 10:10 06:19 1198
            06/15 That time I feel like taking it easy 6.20 9.98 00:52:01 08:23 05:13 285
            06/16 That time it was the only logical decision. 7.08 11.40 01:12:10 10:12 06:20 1703
            06/17 That time I thought I’d make it just a little bit harder. 10.01 16.10 01:28:16 08:49 05:29 1522
            06/18 That time it was two kids playing in the mud on Poo Poo mountain. 11.07 17.82 02:38:37 14:20 08:54 3753
            06/19 That time it was a late night at The Brick. 1.01 1.62 00:10:11 10:05 06:17 112
            06/19 That time WORDLE accurately describes my life choices. 5.95 9.57 00:48:09 08:06 05:02 322

Total distance: 54.29mi

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Any of you shoe geeks follow Kofuzi on YouTube?

I see he finally got his sub 3 at Grandmas.

It's always quite emotional seeing someone get there after many years trying.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Any of you shoe geeks follow Kofuzi on YouTube?

I see he finally got his sub 3 at Grandmas.

It's always quite emotional seeing someone get there after many years trying.

Don't trigger me with positive stories about grandma's 

RP - you made me look into stitches more and there's some evidence it may be a core issue after many years of studies. I guess I should add it to the strengthening exercises.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

RP - you made me look into stitches more and there's some evidence it may be a core issue after many years of studies. I guess I should add it to the strengthening exercises.

Just a perfect day for a good time 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - Great week and that’s very encouraging to hear that you think sub3 might be on the cards in September!

Cinnamon - Welcome back!  A 4 times MM winner who doesn’t post on Strava is very rare!  

Milkman - Unfinished business - MM at NYC. Legit. 👍

Steve
                    - Paying good money to run a half at MP.  I despair. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - it was a rolled over entry from a cancelled race last year. I decided to use it to mix up the training.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - it was a rolled over entry from a cancelled race last year. I decided to use it to mix up the training.

I like running half marathons at MP! Haven't done it in a while, but wish I did this cycle as I had some bad MP workouts where I could have used the race energy to get to the finish of the workout. My favorite is 11 miles at MP and then the final 2.1 at threshold pace. Very hard workout that can probably only be done in a race setting.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just a perfect day for a good time 

In all seriousness that bummed me out a lot: I finished the race and was thinking it was damn near perfect weather and I blew it. Immediately after it made me upset with the whole marathon business of training so hard for months and then not getting there, but as time has rolled on, I think it's motivated me more to go get a PR at NYC on a much harder course. Time to up the mileage and go for broke .

OMR

You know what's interesting? Everything I've read on stitches is that they think it's due to shallow breathing. I tried everything for about 3 miles that I usually do: deeper breaths, massages, out on the opposite foot, etc. None of it worked. You know what did? Making my breathing very shallow, like I was breathing through my chest instead of my belly. It makes no sense. But - the broader point is I need to continue to work on it during this upcoming cycle, see if any new techniques help.

What's also interesting about my stitches is I get them on my left side if it's due to too much food/water in my stomach, my right side when it's a hard effort. How does that make any sense?

RP - no interest in ultras for me. Ya'll know I'm retiring after NYCM anyway.

Interesting.  I don't get side stitches often, but I do know that changing my breathing, including intentional chest breathing -- giving the diaphragm a rest, perhaps -- has helped at times.  And if you've been researching, you may have already run across an article about stress in the upper spine, but if not, I'll toss that out there as well.  Hopefully you find something that works.

zebano

Everything I've read lately suggests that they occur when there's friction between the two layers of your abdominal wall. I'm not actually sure that's helpful to know however.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Ian5

Jmac-I've only suffered from stitches a few times,but I got told to do a big deep breath then a big sharp puff out of breath,its meant to interrupt the diaphragm and it seemed to work for me.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39