2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

cinnamon girl

Did you see Woody Kincaid's recent side stitch issue? It's around 1:17. I haven't heard what he said actually happened but when you mentioned your issue JMac I thought of his race. If anyone has time and didn't already see - watch the women's and men's 10,000 USA Championship races! It's fun cheering for OAC 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Don't trigger me with positive stories about grandma's 

RP - you made me look into stitches more and there's some evidence it may be a core issue after many years of studies. I guess I should add it to the strengthening exercises.

achievement unlocked!

I only suggested it from some first hand experience. I went all in for my first Sub 3 so anything I could do to maybe help I did. My logic was based around the idea of a stronger core/whole body delays the breakdown in form much longer. I think I've done some short breathing cramps/side stitches myself so I hope it works out for you.

Your feelings on race day are COMPARABLE to how I felt at Chicago. It was supposed to be my big day and it wasn't. Go pout. Seriously. Sulk, whine, let it eat at you, be depressed. All that shit. Get it out. It's not fair you didn't get the Disney ending after all this hard work. When you're done, and you're ready to put your big boy pants back on we'll be here. The highs are so high because the lows are so low.

EDIT: as far as ultras, it's just a different challenge. There is only as much pressure as you put on yourself. You might actually enjoy a race where being competitive means a 9:00/mi pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Cinnamon: Great to see you back here! 4 Moose Mugs,,,very impressive. I think Darkwave is the only other on this thread with multiple MMs. I have a grand total of zero. Maybe eventually.... Very cool that you're running Berlin this year. Looks like you're starting the cycle in a good place. So you're going to the US champs? I'm jealous. Will you be going to the World Champs in July? The 1500, 5k and 10k for men and women should all be epic.

JMac: I was just joking about training your stomach with Bell. I think your idea of training more with gels and liquids is probably a good way to go. I also rarely use gels in training and then I think it's a bit of a shock when taking them in a race, and it never feels comfortable. I honestly hate having to drink and take gels in a race, and my best races were (maybe just by chance) the ones where I drank little or nothing and took only 2-3 gels. As far as side stitch, that's a tough one as well. It's something that only seems to happen in races for me, so it's hard to learn how to deal with it in training. But looks like you're getting some good advice on it here.

Also I like the attitude for NYC and second what Mikkey said: totally legit to get it done on that course!

SC: Sorry your race didn't pan out, hopefully you can get in a good one this fall.

Ian: Damn achilles. I hope it's feeling better now.

2:52:16 (2018)

Re stitches I've also read to breathe out and keep breathing out. Probably bloody hard to do at MP though !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I like running half marathons at MP! Haven't done it in a while, but wish I did this cycle as I had some bad MP workouts where I could have used the race energy to get to the finish of the workout. My favorite is 11 miles at MP and then the final 2.1 at threshold pace. Very hard workout that can probably only be done in a race setting.

That's actually quite similar to what I did, albeit not entirely planned.  I had thought I might lift the effort at the end but in the end it just sort of happened.  I'm really happy with how easy/comfortable it was and how quickly my legs have recovered - after 48 hours I couldn't even tell I'd done a decent workout.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

cinnamon girl

Mikkey - you know my opinion on Strava, Instafuck, Fuckface, and whatever else there is.

JT - depends on how I can adjust my work schedule - if I can make it work, I most certainly will for sure !! It's a 5 hour drive so totally doable. And I love Eugene.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

My recommendation a while ago that we merge both threads is becoming a reality, organically...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Did you see Woody Kincaid's recent side stitch issue? It's around 1:17. I haven't heard what he said actually happened but when you mentioned your issue JMac I thought of his race. If anyone has time and didn't already see - watch the women's and men's 10,000 USA Championship races! It's fun cheering for OAC 

This looks horrible! His face said it all.

Also appreciate your response on social media - we've missed you around here! Speaking of which - the latest thing grinding my gears on Instagram running accounts are these snake oil salesman who call themselves "running nutritionist" or something else, telling everyone to run their best marathons they should be taking in nutrition on their 8 mile runs (seriously). It's all just a ploy for you to sign up for their programs.

Steve - careful now. You keep talking about how well your 1:35 went, nobody is going to take your 3:20 goal seriously. You already know I think 3:15 is your true goal, with maybe a 3:10 if things go perfectly since you'll definitely be in 1:27 shape or so by the time the marathon hits 

Stitches - it's funny OMR has had the same experience as me, yet others have said deep breathing helps. I have the entire bag of tricks, because they happen every race: breathe out on the opposite foot, massage it, belly breathing, etc. So annoying!

JT - some of my best races as well have been limited nutrition. I do think it got to  me this time though: I was so thirsty at the end of the race, and I never feel that way. Just gotta train more with stuff in my stomach this summer. I'll probably do a lot of my threshold work with nutrition so my body is trained at taking fuel in at a faster pace, but also keep my long runs "starved" of nutrition to train the fat adaptation.

Flavio - I agree on merging threads next year. I don't think anyone is going to run the marathon thread going forward. But are the Waltons ready for us?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ccoakley

/*delurking*/

JMac, really sorry about your marathon.  Clearly I know nothing about running a marathon at those speeds but you've said

• you do really well on long MP training runs with no fuel
                    • some of your best races are limited fuel
                    • every time you race with fuel something goes wrong

would it be crazy to try not fueling?  Or at least sticking to liquid calories?

/*relurking*/

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve - careful now. You keep talking about how well your 1:35 went, nobody is going to take your 3:20 goal seriously. You already know I think 3:15 is your true goal, with maybe a 3:10 if things go perfectly since you'll definitely be in 1:27 shape or so by the time the marathon hits 

So 3:05 it is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My recommendation a while ago that we merge both threads is becoming a reality, organically...

The LAST time we tried it was 2020...I started that thread so I take full responsibility for everything between then and now.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - I agree on merging threads next year. I don't think anyone is going to run the marathon thread going forward. But are the Waltons ready for us?

The Waltons are all here already. Now that Mikkey is behaving there's no need to have a separate Mikkey-free thread 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

How about one thread for kilometers/Celsius and one thread for miles/Fahrenheit?

(If you work in furlongs/Kelvin then you need to start your own thread).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all. Long time since I posted. We are prepping our house for sale, I got covid, then ran off the road and injured by a truck (it was intentional). My goal was to run a good time, recover quickly, don't get injured like last year, and crush this fall at Grandma's. Bummed I didn't manage to meet JMac.  I went through 20m exactly on pace (6:15/mile) then just picked up effort each mile.

Here is my splits if interested.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/vsoIRomx4qb

I just ran 20 min at 7:15 pace today so legs are doing fine. Going to start building milage for a week or two before workouts. Nice job all things considered JMac.

Uploaded a month worth of runs to runningahead.  Hope you are all well.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - you know my opinion on Strava, Instafuck, Fuckface, and whatever else there is.

Milkman - That needs to go on page 1. 🤣🤣🤣

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)