2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The April parade information was announced.

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/qualify

Float applications are due September 12-16. Time commitments haven't changed and the parade is April 17, 2023.

https://www.baa.org/127th-boston-marathon-field-size-established-30000-participants-registration-be-held-september-12

There has not been mention of COVID 19 requirements and/or exclusions for those who care about such things.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - I agree on merging threads next year. I don't think anyone is going to run the marathon thread going forward. But are the Waltons ready for us?

I think the better question is, are people prepared to behave themselves?  I know of a few former posters that actively avoid the marathon thread because of the silly arguments and name-calling that crops up from time to time (note - I have no problem with respectful debate).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ccoakley - it's crossed my mind. But the problem with the marathon is its hard to expirement, because you only get so many cracks at it. If NYC is going to be my last marathon for a while, I feel like I need to try other methods to get my stomach ready. I do take in less nutrition/water than others on this thread already.

Flavio - maybe we just combine the threads now?? I think only JT hasn't posted over there. Otherwise, it's the same people in both. I'll leave it up to the other folks in this thread though if they want to keep it separate or not. I like darkwaves suggestion though: we gotta go back to the old RW rules of miles only!

Dps - if I didn't have a total disaster of a travel day and then felt so bad stomach wise post race, we would have met for sure. It's one of my favorite things to do. Really did search everywhere for you in that corral! A couple of guys in orange/red and blue who then I had to say "no, that's not him".

RP - I'm definitely out for Boston. Baby 2 is on the way end of November and I really don't feel like going through 4 straight marathon cycles.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'll take credit for starting marathon training several times for basically combining the threads.

JMac - I'm pretty sure a common theme around here has been that half-marathon experience doesn't guarantee you can nail a marathon without at least a few cracks (unless you are piwi).  For that reason, I won't be getting sucked in to setting a goal I might only be capable of after a few attempts at the distance.  The potential for disaster is too great.

dps - Well done on a cracking race in Duluth.  And...someone ran you off the road???  WTAF??  Feel free to share more if you can.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

/*delurking*/

Flavio - maybe we just combine the threads now?? I think only JT hasn't posted over there. Otherwise, it's the same people in both.  

Well, not completely. But close enough, I guess.

My wife already had her suspicions that I'm training for my first marathon - these threads combining will confirm those!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

cinnamon girl

Fueling on an 8 mile run? well maybe if it takes 90 min which could be a long run for instarunners so yeah good targeted marketing.

DPS - you mean Twin Cities this fall?  Hit by a truck? I swear it's not if, it's when we'll get hit and how bad. But sounds intentional road rage vs a runner??

RP - parade - appreciate the description

Mikkey - I'm glad you enjoyed my post 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - maybe we just combine the threads now?? I think only JT hasn't posted over there. Otherwise, it's the same people in both. I'll leave it up to the other folks in this thread though if they want to keep it separate or not. I like darkwaves suggestion though: we gotta go back to the old RW rules of miles only!

Yup, let's do it. I'll start posting my weeklies here. Be ready, the level of the jokes here is about to go way down 😎

I'll still visit the old place to answer shout outs.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

RP: Thanks for posting the parade info. Timing will be just right since my race is Sept. 11, just need to get it done and get the BQ.

JMac: Congrats on baby #2! That's great news and I can understand why you'd want to take a break after that.

I've got no issue with combining the threads, the half thread is full of nice folks.

Instaf*ck.... sounds like a pretty lewd website. I'll have to check it out 

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac congratulations. Two is interesting. Sad you won’t be there.  Totally understand not wanting to do four cycles.  I just told a buddy he could run it at an 8-8:30 pace.  He has raced ONE marathon and he doesn’t enjoy running right now.

cinnamon girl you should go back a few pages to read my comments on a 5k during a marathon. It’s quoted on the front page.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, one has been much easier than I thought, but also with number 1 starting "school" in the fall plus number 2 on the way, it's going to be a lot more hectic. I'm sure I'll be back at it in a few years when things are more settled and I get the itch again.

Flavio - looking forward to you being around here. I think I'm just going to call you BSF - big strong Flavio. I need all your strength tips I can get going into this next cycle as I'm looking to up the mileage into the 90s, which I've never done before.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Ccoakley - it's crossed my mind. But the problem with the marathon is its hard to expirement, because you only get so many cracks at it. If NYC is going to be my last marathon for a while, I feel like I need to try other methods to get my stomach ready. I do take in less nutrition/water than others on this thread already.

JMac - I'm not sure where I read it, I think it was an ultra related blog (Jason Koop comes to mind) but it basically suggested that practicing your training plan or training up to that level doesn't work, and instead the proper way to train the gut is to take the nutrition you will use in a race and basically cram it into a much shorter feeding window and just be uncomfortable and your gut will learn to deal with this as you do it across multiple sessions. This sounds perfectly awful to me.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I'm not sure where I read it, I think it was an ultra related blog (Jason Koop comes to mind) but it basically suggested that practicing your training plan or training up to that level doesn't work, and instead the proper way to train the gut is to take the nutrition you will use in a race and basically cram it into a much shorter feeding window and just be uncomfortable and your gut will learn to deal with this as you do it across multiple sessions. This sounds perfectly awful to me.

This is awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to try exactly this this cycle. One of my MP workouts, my stomach felt terrible so I stopped taking nutrition. Big mistake. I need to just cram it in there and if I vomit, so be it. Also going to try it on LT workouts so it's even more intense.

zebano

This is awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to try exactly this this cycle. One of my MP workouts, my stomach felt terrible so I stopped taking nutrition. Big mistake. I need to just cram it in there and if I vomit, so be it. Also going to try it on LT workouts so it's even more intense.

This is not the article I was thinking of but the advice is similar

I have my athletes do this by taking in more calories than they usually do in at least one training session per week. If you normally take in 200 calories per hour, try 300. Try to find the limit of what your gut can accommodate and perform well with, and then test those limits.

Your plan to do this during LT work distresses my gut. =)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JT - Please report back with your results after trying the insta-fuck thing-y. I'm asking for a friend...

Jmac - I think there's a good group of people strength training already, from the top of my mind Piwi, Zebano, Darkwave, Mark and myself plus whoever else is doing it here.

You mentioned once that bodyweight split squats do nothing for you so you are already plenty strong.

But you gotta put in the work or else your daughter is gonna be stronger than you any of these days.

Piwi - I saw that sub 3 video from that kofuzi dude. It was very well edited, no wonder his channel is growing so much. I loved that bit where he saw 2h20 at the race clock at 20 miles and panicked (it turns out the race clock was wrong, it was actually 2h16). I ended up at that video cause I was searching for Stryd reviews and his was the first one on the list. I know Keen is, well, very keen 😎 on using Stryd, so I thought I'd give it a look. But I'm not so sure it could work, there's a chance I would forget about it, or not even look at the numbers.

In other news, I was watching a video by a Kiwi called Dr Will O'Connor, he was talking to his PHD mate about a few things running.

One interesting bit was when they were talking about fiber types, and then used a chicken as example. The chicken legs (redish meat) being the type I fiber for endurance and the wings and breast (whitish meat) being used for flying which for a chicken means very quick, powerful movements that don't last very long, so type II.

They also spoke about how there's no way to correlate heart rate numbers between one person and the next. They were saying a higher heart rate just means the heart is beating more times in a minute but pushing less blood, where as an individual with a lower heart rate their heart is beating slower but pumping more blood at each stroke.

That leads me to believe that I don't have any advantage for having a HR = 120 at 5 minute pace (8 min mile) as opposed to yours at 130, cause dunno your resting heart rate could be higher or lower.

In summary, it seems you can only ever compare against your own numbers to figure out any possible patterns.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

So, hello.  It seems most of you know me already and I know most of you....

Anyway, with community band rehearsal going late last night and rain forecast for this morning, I decided to sleep in and push my usual HM Thursday pace run off to Friday.  Instead I ran 5 easy this morning under grey, but rain-less, skies.

JMac - I'll be running Grete's Great Gallop in August as well; the ninth race of my 9+1.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27