2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will get to updating the front page next week. I guess I'd ask, given the size of this group, if we could keep it to "goal" races or benchmarks along the way. I know some people run 15+ races a year, but only a few would you say you really gave it your all. If you're planning on using it for a training run, jogging instead of racing, a rust buster with no chance of a great effort, etc, that we keep it off the front page.

Long story short: yes, races of all distances. But not necessarily all races you enter. Flavios recent 1500 meter would count. I don't know that Steve's half as a training run at MP would, for example, if that makes sense.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Agreed, and for that reason it wasn’t on the front page of another thread.

I think any race that is an all out effort should be included. But that will likely mean 99% of races. At least you only have 6 months left…

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

mmerkle - Sorry the 5k wasn't quite what you wanted.  70º is nice this time of year, but in absolute terms it's already too warm for me.

Watson - 7.5k is a rather odd race distance.  Is that just the length of the trail?

SC - Early September can be tough weather for long races.  Here in NJ, I'm leery about even signing up for halves in September.  I once wound up in one with a temperature of 72º and a dew point of 70º with no wind worth mentioning.  That was a slog of a race.

RP - In my first marathon, one of the best pick-me-ups I had was around mile 22 when someone was handing out gummi bears.  They were just what my brain thought I needed.

Ian - I'd love to be 190 too, but until I'm able to substantially change my eating habits, that's not going to happen (and there's enough stress in my life right now that I don't need to add to it by focusing too much on my diet).

Piwi - Hope you feel better soon.

Jmac - I pared a couple races off my list; events that I'll likely be just running rather than racing.

Mark - Looks like you have a relatively full slate of races too (like Watson and me).

I met my RP for an HM pace run.  6 miles total with the middle 3 at HM pace.  I'm hoping to break 1:50 this fall, so I've set a more aggressive HM target for training runs.  So far, I have struggled to hit the target, but I have a few things to keep in mind: I'm a cold weather runner training in warmer weather, I'm a few pounds heavier than when I ran my last half, and I haven't really done any hard training for a couple of months.  Add to that the fact that our course for this run has most of the last HM mile going uphill and it's far too early for me to get discouraged about the target pace.

Question for the group.  When I meet my RP for the HM runs, I have about a 1½ mile warmup run before we start the HM pace.  I meet him about 1 mile into the warmup.  I find that when I'm early and stand around a bit waiting for him, it's easier for me to hit the HM pace early in the run, while if I don't have that break, it's a bit harder for me to get up to pace.  Does that make any sense?  It could all be coincidence (the days I'm early could be the days I'm more energetic and getting out the door sooner, for example) and I have no way of doing a proper controlled experiment.  Still, it seems a pattern so I'm wondering whether there's something to it.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Ian5

Fred-if it works for you then go with it,personally I struggle after a break so keeping going would help me.

I had a nice 10m run today,warm and humid but enjoyable,I ran a 10 I've done plenty of times,but I ran it in reverse to usual,it's really weird how different a run looks when you just go the other way.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Fishyone

RP - In my first marathon, one of the best pick-me-ups I had was around mile 22 when someone was handing out gummi bears.  They were just was my brain thought I needed.

Boston Marathon 2017 it was getting really warm and a little kid handed me a purple freeze pop right near the to of heartbreak hill. To this day I've never tasted anything more delicious and refreshing....

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fred the only thing similar is I do a 2 mile loop round the neighborhood early in the morning and then sometimes pop home to poop.

After that my pace significantly increases and feels easier. Maybe I'm 2lbs lighter after....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - first born kids also get blamed for everything because they should've been the responsible one. (I would know... I learned the hard way that it's always the retaliation that gets caught).  I use the budget gels in training and save the expensive Maurten ones for race day lol.

Train like you race, or should I say "race like you train." Maurten gels are cheap. Finding out on race day you have a problem taking 5 isn't cheap. I say this after knowing my buddy who trained for two years to run CIM slammed 2 gels in 5 minutes at the start, and race with a mix of gels he didn't train with. I personally find benefit in racing like I train more than training like I race. To me the difference is going for a workout and the purpose of the workout being "go out too fast and blow up."

somethingclever DO IT! Go for the BQ. Just put up the same intensity you had for the sub 3. Unless you've already run Boston. I didn't think you had.

I'd post up some races but y'all don't talk about anything long distance. WELL...EXCEPT FOR CAL

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

"somethingclever DO IT! Go for the BQ. Just put up the same intensity you had for the sub 3. Unless you've already run Boston. I didn't think you had."

I have not run Botswana. After sleeping on it, I think my plan will be to wait to register until closer to the date to see if the weather/smoke/???? will be a problem. The price goes from $75 to $105 but who cares?

It doesn't really change my training approach in the meantime - I have a vacation coming up that will take a bite out of things, but will generally keep a base of 40mpw. I'll try to bump that in late July/August and then just see if I can do a 3:10 if the conditions seem reasonable.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Question for the group.  When I meet my RP for the HM runs, I have about a 1½ mile warmup run before we start the HM pace.  I meet him about 1 mile into the warmup.  I find that when I'm early and stand around a bit waiting for him, it's easier for me to hit the HM pace early in the run, while if I don't have that break, it's a bit harder for me to get up to pace.  Does that make any sense?  It could all be coincidence (the days I'm early could be the days I'm more energetic and getting out the door sooner, for example) and I have no way of doing a proper controlled experiment.  Still, it seems a pattern so I'm wondering whether there's something to it.

I wouldn’t worry about it either way…most ‘advanced’ runners will do a mile or 2 warm up before a half anyway and then have a ‘break’ in the starting corral.  With HMP and MP runs I personally prefer no breaks and never pause the watch.

RP - Thanks for the April parade link…it said that any covid policies will be announced in the coming weeks so I’ll keep an eye on their website.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

Fred  I don't think it matters much. Recovery in between intervals is possibly different but even there I'm never too worried about it.

RP  bring on the race reports. Are you watching Western States tomorrow? Does anyone know why Walmsley isn't running?

How bout Cole Hocker ? What happened in those last 100m? Reminds me a bit of Brazier  in the Olympic trials

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

RP  bring on the race reports. Are you watching Western States tomorrow? Does anyone know why Walmsley isn't running?

I think he is married now 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Ian5

Think Walmsley is all in on UTMB this year,hence his move to Europe.

He wants to see how the real racers do it 

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Running Problem

Problem Child

How bout Cole Hocker ? What happened in those last 100m? Reminds me a bit of Brazier  in the Olympic trials

Watching.....no no no. We don't do that here. Just watch Bib 224 after Michigan Bluff.

https://www.ultralive.net/ws100

Dick Jones

His wife will apparently be the one waving the Welsh flag at Foresthill...so I can find her.

Jim is going after UTMB against Kilian. THAT is going to be a GOAT v GOAT battle and both guys HAVE to know it.

Fredford In my first marathon my mother came out to the course and got me some water. I'll never forget her yelling there was "smart water for all you dumb runners" when I was hurting, walking, and hating marathons. Literally every time I see a smart water bottle, or pass that general area of the race.

Interesting about showing up early ready to go. Perhaps you could try it on a run WITHOUT the partner and see how it goes. Maybe you're just competitive and want to beat RP (not me) on those MP days. Perhaps your body just mentally doesn't "roll into" marathon pace. I know I don't like to go from a light jog to speed workout paces without a break. If only mental it helps.

SC go for it. The smoke/weather is always a concern. A 3:10 SHOULD be possible unless some other nonsense happens. We could have us a good old fashioned "Sub 3:20" meet and greet. Someone call up McBen and Kev4x100 so they can get in on it. I actually wonder if rlk is going to be there or if she officially quit the marathon for 5ks.

Mikkey don't be a little bitch. Just sign up and take the risk of catching COVID 19.  Since JMac won't be there I doubt I'll know anyone there.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

Fred - the (my club only) race is two laps which is about 7.5km.

JMac - revised list, culling the races that don't matter.

Upcoming races

- Wellington X-Country Champs, 17 Jul

- Wellington Road Champs 10km, 20 Aug

- Rotorua Marathon, 17 Sep

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Watching.....no no no. We don't do that here. Just watch Bib 224 after Michigan Bluff.

https://www.ultralive.net/ws100

Dick Jones

His wife will apparently be the one waving the Welsh flag at Foresthill...so I can find her.

Jim is going after UTMB against Kilian. THAT is going to be a GOAT v GOAT battle and both guys HAVE to know it.

Fredford In my first marathon my mother came out to the course and got me some water. I'll never forget her yelling there was "smart water for all you dumb runners" when I was hurting, walking, and hating marathons. Literally every time I see a smart water bottle, or pass that general area of the race.

Mikkey don't be a little bitch. Just sign up and take the risk of catching COVID 19.  Since JMac won't be there I doubt I'll know anyone there.

Hey, this a respectable thread now and the word bitch shouldn’t be tolerated. And I don’t identify as a female.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)