2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Pro tip - book your flight 3 weeks in advance of your marathon to guarantee a stress free arrival.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Dave - A moose mug time is a marathon time that is either a) under 2 hours plus your age if you are male or b) under 2:20 plus your age if you are female.

Wow that’s impressive. Certainly something I’ll never have to worry about. My hat’s off to those here who have done it.

Dave

Pro tip - book your flight 3 weeks in advance of your marathon to guarantee a stress free arrival.

Only 3 weeks? Better 12 weeks and just do your whole training cycle on-site.

For Erie I could fly but will just drive the 9 hours.

2:52:16 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

3 weeks??  I went with 6 months...but there are very few flights between NZ and Australia at the moment and not many alternative options which are realistic (i.e. going via Singapore).

I booked my flight to Melbourne on Jetstar which is always risky but the flight time was much better.  They recently cancelled a flight in the middle of check in which is the sort of thing that happened pre-2020.  After JMac's horror story I'm taking nothing for granted.  I'm going 4 days pre-race to make sure I'm settled into the climate and minor time zone change as much as possible so I have some room to move if I get a cancellation.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Only 3 weeks? Better 12 weeks and just do your whole training cycle on-site.

For Erie I could fly but will just drive the 9 hours.

That's true. There may be an argument to even by a home wherever you plan on running a marathon, just so there are no surprises with lodging either.

Seriously though - if you can afford it, I would go 3 days out, not the 2 days we always recommend. 2 days got me there, but it completely blew up my rest schedule and had most likely did have an impact on how I ran that day. Pay an extra night of lodging is worth the peace of mind.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

RP - English is my second language so I might be missing something, but to me that was very light friendly banter. In Brazil it was very common to take the piss at your friends, things like bitch, bastard, son of a whore. In fact, the nastiest the curse word the closest the friend.

Yep, and the funny thing is that when you’re having an argument with someone in UK you can use normally friendly terms like mate and pal to show your aggression and disgust. 

If you’ve never been in the mosh pit to watch a rock band then you haven’t lived as that’s what going to a gig is all about. 🤘

Hash - GMP confidence for me is a combination of tune up race results and how comfortable I feel during longer runs with MP intervals. I also have the benefit of having years of HR data which also helps.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Yep, and the funny thing is that when you’re having an argument with someone in UK you can use normally friendly terms like mate and pal to show your aggression and disgust. 

If you’ve never been in the mosh pit to watch a rock band then you haven’t lived as that’s what going to a gig is all about. 🤘

Hash - GMP confidence for me is a combination of tune up race results and how comfortable I feel during longer runs with MP intervals. I also have the benefit of having years of HR data which also helps.

Same in the US! If someone calls you "buddy" or "pal," a fight is about to start.

My 23yo son is a big punk rock fan, and it blows his mind to imagine that his stuffy old man was in the mosh pit at a Ramones concert several decades ago. I think those days are way behind me now though.

I always try to schedule a tuneup half 4-6 weeks out, with the intent of using it for marathon goal-setting. However it seems pretty often that I nail the half but tank the marathon, or vice versa. So if the question is to give confidence, then this works. Guaranteeing results is something else.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - can we please request you change the name of the other thread to "The Waltons, AKA the 2022 Half Marathon Training Thread".

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My 23yo son is a big punk rock fan, and it blows his mind to imagine that his stuffy old man was in the mosh pit at a Ramones concert several decades ago. I think those days are way behind me now though.

Ah, maybe your record collection had a good influence on him!

I also saw the Ramones in London back in the 90’s and they were the ultimate punk band. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I finally have some time to catch up here. I see the Waltons thread is up and running. If you want your races on the front page here in the Competitive Jerks thread, please reiterate that again and I will throw them up front.

Cinnamon - it's amazing how the body performs on different days. I feel much better after a week away from the race and am going into my NYCM training with a better nutrition plan. Also, since you've been away for a while, any goals for this cycle?

RP - I've never someone run more marathons (26.2+) than you and still not have a race on the front page!

Hash - I went back and watched videos of my daughter when she's super young, and I'm terrified. I am definitely more nervous this time around!

Dave - good to have you join! I was going to say the same thing you posted to Mikkey: I think one of the most triggering statements in America is "hey buddy." Back in the aughts, it was "Chief." If anyone called you chief, you were ready to throw down 

Fred - hope you stick around! Will be great to have another NYC based runner. I've been skimming the Waltons and I really like the entire journey you are having with your son. Maybe he should start posting here and tell us about how he's gonna beat his old man in more and more distances 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Jmac - My son is still being careful not to commit to too much running, though he's a volunteer coach with the YMCA kids' running plan and hopes to be a paid coach in the fall (he's reading Jack Daniels' book to prepare for the interview).  We're both racing a 4-miler on Monday, for which the forecast is 75º and moderately humid.  Though the course is PR-flat, I've never done well there due to the summer heat and I don't expect this year to be any different.

On Marathons - In retrospect, I ran my marathons too early in my running career.  I'm planning to run NY next year, which will be 5 years after my last marathon (also NY) and hope to put those 5 years of experience to good use.  Of the three I ran, two were close enough that I didn't need a hotel room and the third wasn't much farther away.  I'll also never get a Moose Mug.  Maybe a Calf Cup if you define that as 2 hours plus 2 times age (and even that will be hard for me).

On Mosh Pits - I've never been in one as I've never been that close to the stage for the kind of band that might have a mosh pit.

I was fortunate to have my son join me for my track workout yesterday, though he stopped after 5 of the 6 x 800m with 400m recoveries.  I think he could have done the 6th, but he didn't think he could.  He's knew to track work and I firmly believe half the purpose of repeats is to build mental stamina.  He'll get there eventually.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - I've never someone run more marathons (26.2+) than you and still not have a race on the front page!

See the source image

EDIT:

I understand the "I don't have a race on the front page" thing and I've addressed this multiple times to which I say "If what I said was important to you then you would remember it. Since you DON'T remember it isn't worth repeating."

I believe the only race I've done this year was Way Too Cool 50k (PR. 4:45:45 official time). I might have mentioned this between January and April. It wasn't posted to the front page for reasons I'm unaware of (doesn't fit the old MARATHON title, or wasn't worth posting) and I'm unable to add to the front page.

It's literally just like work where I say things, and they're wrong simply because I say them. Story of my life which is why I just don't mention them. Irritating as fuck being around so many people who are not only CORRECT about so many things, but will find ways to make sure anything I say is absolutely guaranteed to be incapable of being acceptable, or correct, on any level. Just throw up the hands and say "fuck it." You know better than me so let me know what race I'm doing and put it down, along with the goal, so I can just go back to living my life your way. I'd expect 'CIM with NYC qualifier' to be acceptable. Maybe "Get commanderkeen to the finish line in under three hours with course knowledge and pacing experience' would be better. \rant

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Renata Sorrah out of all people would go on to become an internet meme LOL, the world is weird.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Booked my tickets to the April parade already. If only I would do the same for a hotel...

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

And can someone tell me what a Moose Mug is?

Moose Mug: Marathon time equal to 2 hours plus your age. Those who identify as Females are granted an additions 20 minutes (I think it's 20 minutes).

There was apparently someone on the Runner's World forums who would mail out a mug with your name and time. It's probably equal to an OTQ for us mortals.

EDIT: darkwave beat me to it...just like she would on race day. 

Dave, when I ran Chicago I didn't even count up the costs. I was going for the BQ with the logic of fast, flat course = easy win. Airfare, hotel for 2-3 days, and a shirt. Plus food. This was 2018 so pre-inflation costs. I have "ideas" of running the three American majors. I'll never be fast enough to get a time entry for Berlin. I'm unsure I want to spend THAT amount of money to run a marathon. It would honestly compare to running a few big ultra marathons and I'd probably rather have a belt buckle than the Abbot medal. Both seem like a money grab, but at least a belt buckle could help me avoid buying clothes that fit for a few more years.

VDOT 53.37