2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Renata Sorrah out of all people would go on to become an internet meme LOL, the world is weird.

And this whole time, I thought it was Julia Roberts 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

See the source image

Edited for the fact checkers

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/math-lady-confused-lady

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Booked my tickets to the April parade already. If only I would do the same for a hotel...

I’ve also booked flights (economy hand luggage only) as all I need to pack is my cheater shoes, shorts, top, running socks and a toothbrush.

And yes, some of us Brits do actually brush our teeth. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey Don't forget to bring your own tea. Boston historically dumps all English tea in the harbor.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that.

The Streisand Effect keeps me from posting anything further on this topic.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey Don't forget to bring your own tea. Boston historically dumps all English tea in the harbor.

And omg do NOT drink that Sam Adams 26.2 beer they will be offering everywhere, it is awful. For some reason, marketers think recreational athletes like light beers, when in fact a major reason we run so much is so we can drink heavy beers.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

And omg do NOT drink that Sam Adams 26.2 beer they will be offering everywhere, it is awful. For some reason, marketers think recreational athletes like light beers, when in fact a major reason we run so much is so we can drink heavy beers.

I drank Michelob Ultra for the first time a couple of days before my half marathon as it was the only thing they sold. I know everyone says all light beers taste like water, but until you've had a Michelob Ultra, you don't know what water tastes like.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I finally have some time to catch up here. I see the Waltons thread is up and running. If you want your races on the front page here in the Competitive Jerks thread, please reiterate that again and I will throw them up front.

Same as they were 7 pages back lol.  I'm going to try being a Walton and competitive (for now).  The races are all legit hard efforts, Auckland Road Champs is more of a tune-up for NZ Road Champs but I'll still be gunning for a decent time.

Aug 20: Auckland 10km Road Champs

Sep 4: NZ 10km Road Champs

Oct 1: National Road Relays

Oct 16: NZ Half Marathon Champs

Nov 6: Nelson Half Marathon

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Dave, when I ran Chicago I didn't even count up the costs. I was going for the BQ with the logic of fast, flat course = easy win. Airfare, hotel for 2-3 days, and a shirt. Plus food. This was 2018 so pre-inflation costs. I have "ideas" of running the three American majors. I'll never be fast enough to get a time entry for Berlin. I'm unsure I want to spend THAT amount of money to run a marathon. It would honestly compare to running a few big ultra marathons and I'd probably rather have a belt buckle than the Abbot medal. Both seem like a money grab, but at least a belt buckle could help me avoid buying clothes that fit for a few more years.

I can get away with Chicago more easily, because (1) I can stay with friends for free, and (2) my wife can't really begrudge me visiting my hometown for the first time in 8 years. I should be able to use frequent flyer miles too. I did get a hotel room near the start for the night before the race, since my friends live way out in the suburbs. I booked that way back when I registered. In general, to be safe, the hotel is the first thing I ever take care of for an out of town marathon. Often even before I register for the race; I booked Boston before I even knew whether I'd get in. .

Dave

mmerkle

LOL and here I thought I was the only one. Light beers don't even move the needle for me. Literally has the same effect as water.

If you want your races on the front page here in the Competitive Jerks thread, please reiterate that again and I will throw them up front.

I have a bunch, but to keep the list streamlined, the main one is Chicago on 10/9, goal sub-3:20.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Same as they were 7 pages back lol. 

With this type of comment, you're going to fit right in with the competitive jerks. Looks like we've finally gotten to you. Old Mark would say you're being an asshole! The point of asking again was everyone got skittish about whether they wanted to be in this thread or not, so I'm asking those people to confirm that yes, they are in this thread for good, so that I don't go about updating all these races but people want to actually live in the Waltons thread.

Dave - if you have any semi-goal races along the way, happy to add them, e.g. the tune-up half you're considering running.

ETA: front page updated. I need goal times from you Mark for these upcoming 10Ks, and Ian for your Antwerp race. Everything else looks far enough out to keep TBD.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I drank Michelob Ultra for the first time a couple of days before my half marathon as it was the only thing they sold. I know everyone says all light beers taste like water, but until you've had a Michelob Ultra, you don't know what water tastes like.

My wife says Guinness tastes like water and I agree. I'm sure the Sam Adams 26.2 beer with salt ADDED tastes as disgusting as it sounds. I found it locally and never tried it. If anything, I'd want some Heady Topper or Focal Banger or something from The Alchemist. Actually, Coors Light would be good if provided in a 24 ounce *googles metric equivalent*  0.71L can. Actually that should be rounded up to 1L of Coors Light.

dave one of the things I didn't like about the Chicago marathon was the security due to the size. Entering the park took a lot of time because EVERY bag had to be checked and OH MY GOD runners bring way too much shit. The finish area immediately after the race was cool. HOT because there is only shade for the volunteers retreiving your drop bag, but I thought the area of the park I was in was cool. Walking about 1/4 mile from the finish to spectator meet up area was kind of annoying, BUT that's mostly because I'm acclimated to smaller races where there is no concern of anything happening at the finish line other than a runner passing out, crying, or doing some awkward finishing move.

Marky Mark don't worry, you'll have to repeat yourself again. The guy in charge of the table needs to be given the information a few times. Type it slowly too. Maybe tag him in it on Strava. 

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve never been a big tea or coffee drinker, but the wife will only buy Yorkshire Tea (she was born in Leeds) so I’m not sure if she’s biased or it really is the best?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ve never been a big tea or coffee drinker, but the wife will only buy Yorkshire Tea (she was born in Leeds) so I’m not sure if she’s biased or it really is the best?

Yorkshire is a brand. It's like saying "I don't buy cheese but when I did I only bought Kraft" instead of saying American Cheese.

(Kraft Singles are not cheese. Really. YouTube search Kraft Singles Burn).

VDOT 53.37