2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I stopped drinking alcohol late last year.  Didn't really plan to go totally sober, but I cut the drinking down significantly around Feb last year, and then just stopped enjoying it so I cut it out altogether around November.  Maybe I lost my tolerance or something when I cut down but I'd wake up feeling pretty average after like 2 drinks and so I decided there wasn't much point to it.

I'll always go for a milkshake after a race if I can though!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I still very much enjoy a variety of alcoholic beverages, mainly beer. Although I can't even remember the last time I was actually drunk, and my typical number of drinks per week is 1. Typically on Saturday evening. More if I'm going out or on vacation or on business travel.

My preferred post-marathon beverage depends on how badly the race has destroyed me.

- Totally wrecked: Gatorade

- Moderately trashed: Frappuccino

- Not too bad at all: Beer.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'll always go for a milkshake after a race if I can though!

Strawberry shake + a (bunless) bacon cheeseburger. Can't beat it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I stopped drinking alcohol yesterday and I'm not planning on starting again till later today 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave so would you consider yourself "sober" or is that term more for people who quit drinking due to an inability to control it?

I feel like sober is more for people who have stopped drinking due to the inability to control - just as you worded it.

I dunno what the right term is - I just go with "not drinking alcohol right now."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I feel like sober is more for people who have stopped drinking due to the inability to control - just as you worded it.

I dunno what the right term is - I just go with "not drinking alcohol right now."

The word used by those of a certain generation is “teetotaler.”

Dave

mmerkle

Training Question:

How often do you take extended time off to hit the "reset button" and go back to base training? Extended time would I guess be 3 + days off, probably after some race. I am trying to figure out whether to do this between my summer training for 5ks and my upcoming fall marathon training. Mostly in the interest of injury prevention. Thanks.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Training Question:

How often do you take extended time off to hit the "reset button" and go back to base training? Extended time would I guess be 3 + days off, probably after some race. I am trying to figure out whether to do this between my summer training for 5ks and my upcoming fall marathon training. Mostly in the interest of injury prevention. Thanks.

Once or twice a year.  Definitely after my spring halves before I start training for fall halves.  Whether I do it after the fall halves depends on when the last fall half is and when the first spring half will be.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Training Question:

In general I run every day when I'm healthy. After a marathon, which is generally twice a year, I take 3-6 days off depending on how badly wrecked I am. Then I go back to everyday running, but take about a month to ramp mileage back up with nothing but easy. Then I start adding some speed work back in and may race some shorter distances, but then before you know it, it's back to the next marathon training cycle.

In your example, if you're doing really hardcore 5K training - before getting into a formal marathon training plan, I'd do maybe a month of only easy miles, at a maintenance level of weekly mileage. For me, maintenance is about the level of week 1 of the marathon plan.

YMMV. Literally and figuratively.

Dave

Mark after you cut alcohol did you notice an improvement in your running and did you lose any weight ?

I always carry some fat round my stomach which I think is from beer.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Training Question:

Not really ever.

I'll have down weeks after big races, and just take a light and fairly cruisy week, but it's rare for me to take more than 1-2 days off unless I'm sick.  The only time I've taken a large break was when I had a week off after not recovering well from a marathon that I probably overtrained for.  I generally run 6 days a week with a rest day.

I never really bought into the theory of running easy for an extended period.  Possibly just because I enjoy workouts a lot.

Mark after you cut alcohol did you notice an improvement in your running and did you lose any weight ?

I did find I was probably hitting workouts a bit more consistently.  Weight probably dropped around 1-2kg, used to be around 71-72kg and now it hovers more around 69-70.  It's hard to say how it impacted overall running performance but that Southern Lakes HM last year was probably my best overall running performance.  It's a shame that we missed the spring National Champs season last year as that would've allowed for the best comparisons.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

I broke 3 hours. Twice. I’d say that’s a pretty big improvement.

edit: my sweet tooth increased in size so I have to watch it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Training Question:

Since I have been focused on the marathon I’d always take a month off just to get back to ‘running just to run’ enjoyment. No pressure. No required workouts.  Just go run what I feel like with friends or alone.

If you’re racing the 5ks then going to marathon training I’d go right into base building and increase the easy miles while keeping the speed work. Put the marathon training start date on a calendar. Count back to the last 5k race and just use the time i between to just build your weekly miles.  This won’t work if you start marathon training in August and have a late July 5k goal race as well as having a 5k this weekend then nothing until August/September.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Training Question:

I am the laziest person on these boards and probably take the most extended breaks (5+ days probably 4 to 5 times a year). As others have mentioned, it's critical after marathons, less so after other races. I just took 10 days off after my marathon, because I just didnt feel like running and with that distance, you are at risk of injury if you come back too soon. I'm about to take another 7 days off for that trip I just mentioned, but I'll be walking about 15 miles a day, so consider it cross-training.

After a block of 5K training? You don't need one, but it doesn't hurt. For injury prevention, strength training is going to matter a lot more than time off.

I'd say most time off is more of a mental reset than a physical one for all distances shorter than a marathon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

For injury prevention, strength training is going to matter a lot more than time off.

I'm so proud of you ☺️

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly