2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm so proud of you ☺️

Here's a fun game, for those of us who are mortal and get injured: can you list every injury you've had in the past 5 years where the pain lasted more than a few days? Here is what I can remember, and who knows what I'm missing!

- Femoral stress reaction

- Hip impingement

- Torn labrum

- Posterior tibial tendonitis

- Patellar tendonitis

- Hamstring biceps femoris tendonitis

- Metatarsalgia

- Plantar fasciitis

- Adductor strain

- Mysterious foot injury near my toes that was never diagnosed properly

Sometimes I look at that and wonder how I ever ran any race.

ETA: already realized I forgot two different calf strains 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

I had a recurrence of PF around 4 years ago, and then have fallen twice during runs in the last year which made me down and out for awhile. Most of my injuries were in the 1st 3 years of training so a long time ago.

JMac - Mug #5 for Berlin  (in non-cheater shoes of course!)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Here's a fun game, for those of us who are mortal and get injured: can you list every injury you've had in the past 5 years where the pain lasted more than a few days? Here is what I can remember, and who knows what I'm missing!

I can't remember 5 years back.  A couple of years ago I rolled my ankle on a stone in the road (in the dark) and wound up with a hairline fracture.  The orthopedist said I could keep running on it, but one more bad step and the whole joint could go, or I could wear a boot for two weeks.  I opted for the boot.  I once stubbed my little toe hard enough to tear a tendon, which was painful, but once taped didn't keep me from running.  Heel fat pad pain that required some taping.  Ditto some ball of the foot pain.  The last two weren't bad enough for me to see a doctor, so I don't know what they officially were.

I've been dealing with sciatic issues off and on for almost 4 years, but that's more a chronic condition than an injury.

Other than that, I haven't had anything serious enough to stop me running (or to be worth remembering).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Here's a fun game

This game does not sound fun to me at all. But in any case, what most impresses me about your list is that you appear to have actual diagnoses for nearly all of them. My list would just be like "knee pain" and "a hip thing."

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I’m with Dave, not a fun game at all. It sounds more like a ‘tempting fate’ game

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

In 2020 my ankle really hurt. I kept running farther because the pain would be so bad I thought it would go away. It did, and then it came back. I was around mile 7 of a 9ish mile run. It sucked.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Your list looks worse than my whole life list Jmac.

Only thing for me in the last 5 years is a calf strain.

Felt it go during intervals. You get that warm numb feeling suddenly shooting through the calf and it's like yep I'm out for 6 weeks.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This game does not sound fun to me at all. But in any case, what most impresses me about your list is that you appear to have actual diagnoses for nearly all of them. My list would just be like "knee pain" and "a hip thing."

Me, when I have an injury (as spoken to a PT or other healthcare professional):

"Hi, I have this burning pain right behind my medial malleolus on my right ankle - it hurts the most when I toe off while running, and does improve some as I run."

My partner, when he has an injury:

"My foot hurts"

Me: "Where does it hurt - can you point to it?  Do you feel it more when you put weight on it?  Is it more of a burn or an ache?"

Him:  "My foot hurts.   I'm going to take two weeks off and just play video games."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The first 3 were from an MRI this past fall when something was clearly seriously wrong, so I went to the doctor. That cost me about 6 weeks and a shot at CIM last fall. Most of the others were with the help of a PT.

I've been negligent with strength training my entire life. This past cycle was the first time I was super diligent with it, especially after my knee injury. I'm going to really keep up with it because it helped a lot.

Also - as darkwave alluded to, I do a lot of research first before I ever approach a medical professional though, as most injuries you can figure out yourself and treat, like my patellar tendonitis this past spring. The one I never would have diagnosed was the stress reaction. I just didn't believe it, even though I was failing the "hop test." Femoral stress reactions/fractures generally show up in younger, female runners, or people new to the sport. My doctor said it probably was one, but I kept denying it until the MRI came in and confirmed. I'm so glad I did go though because I would have returned sooner than I should have without that test, and probably would have missed the entire spring.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My list (if limited to past 5 years):

• Hamstring tendonitis in 2018 (I never took time off from this, but I did get prolotherapy to fix it, getting a set of shots two weeks before my marathon, and another two weeks after).

• Torn posterior tibial tendon - 2019 to present (since it's still torn).  This hurt some, but never enough to stop me from running (ran my half-marathon PR and tied my road mile PR on it).  In 2020 we figured out via MRI and ultrasound that I had actually torn it lengthwise the whole way (oops) so that I now have two parallel post tib tendons on that ankle.  Nothing to really do here - it doesn't hurt anymore and it's functional as is, so we just left it.

• Loss of use of shoulder - 2019.  Got hit by a truck while running - nothing broken or torn, but it resulted in a winged scapula and temporary loss of use of my left arm.  Fixed with a few weeks of PT.  [this was an injury that occurred while running, so I'm counting it]

• Threw my SI joint out - early 2020.  Had to DNF my marathon, which was on the last week before Covid shut everything down.  Fixed with some chiro adjustments and PT and some prolotherapy in my SI joint.

• Torn ATF ligament - 2020.  Did two rounds of PRP on it and that helped dramatically.  I also do a LOT of wobble board exercises daily.

• Cyst on front of my ankle - 2021.  Could have gotten it removed, but apparently that would have been several weeks of no running (since I wouldn't be allowed to wear shoes) and no pool-running (because I wouldn't be allowed to immerse the location).  So I got a cortisone shot in it and also didn't lace the upper holes of my shoes for a few weeks.  It's still there, but much smaller and generally not an issue.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Immortal demigod checking in on everyone else playing the "list my injuries" game.  

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Me:

"My foot hurts.   I'm going to take two weeks off and just play video games. just keep running and it’ll probably get better on its own”

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Immortal demigod checking in on everyone else playing the "list my injuries" game.  

Fate tempted

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

"My foot hurts.   I'm going to take two weeks off and just play video games. just keep running and it’ll probably get better on its own”

I had a teammate like that - every time he was injured he just ran through it and it healed up.  He honestly did not understand why other people took time off for injury.

MMerkle - belated answer to your question on breaks - Twice a year I take about 5-10 days of just pool-running, yoga, and junk food to reset.  If it's after a marathon, I'll follow that with a week of easy running, and then start back with hills before transitioning to "real" workouts.

My observation is that long breaks work better for younger runners, and that older runners need to be careful not to take too much time off, because it can be very hard to come back.  I know a very good runner in his late 60s who never takes breaks - races a marathon and is out there the next day.  As a PT friend of mine noted - at that age you CAN'T take a post-marathon break.

Ian5

Jmac-That's some list.

I've had achilles issues on and off for 4 years,seen a physio and his advice was"if it stays at less than 2/10 and doesn't get worse after a run then crack on" so I keep to that.Also fell once that caused a bit of time off and had PF that a spell in max cushioned shoes helped solve.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39