2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've seen them live several times and they were outstanding.  Easily one of the top 2 or 3 live performances I've ever seen.  There's just a level of sheer intensity in their performance that few other bands can match.  You can even get a sense of it just from watching footage of some of their live performances on Youtube.

A few years back they did a co-headlining tour with Queens of the Stone Age where the playing order would be decided by a coin toss each night.  In Auckland, Queens of the Stone Age were up first.  They were pretty good, and I was quite a big fan at the time, but NIN absolutely blew them away.

I did see Rage Against the Machine in 2008 as well, back when they did their first comeback tour.  They were well worth it.

I watched a few RATM videos and after seeing Limp Bizkit recently I just thought ‘what COULD have happened if you hadn’t stopped making music?’ Zach could have gone corporate just like his guitarist and become part of the machine he raged against, and we could have had a few more years of great music. 

trent…he had some fall out with Manson apparently.  I watched some video about it and it seemed like they both got too old to care anymore but not too old to be over it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I watched a few RATM videos and after seeing Limp Bizkit recently I just thought ‘what COULD have happened if you hadn’t stopped making music?’ Zach could have gone corporate just like his guitarist and become part of the machine he raged against, and we could have had a few more years of great music. 

Yeah I've found it amusing in recent years that the band that gave us "f**k you I won't do what you tell me" turned into "please please tell me what to do...now I'm under control".  Unfortunately that goes for a few bands who started out in the 90s.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah I've found it amusing in recent years that the band that gave us "f**k you I won't do what you tell me" turned into "please please tell me what to do...now I'm under control".  Unfortunately that goes for a few bands who started out in the 90s.

IMO Rage are one of those bands that were very representative of a particular time period - in this case the mid to late 90's.  It's pretty hard to see the latest reunion tour as anything other than a cash grab, which is a little ironic.  Morello is one of the great guitar innovators and Brad Wilk is undoubtedly a very good drummer (not just anyone gets to play for Black Sabbath) but I honestly question whether Rage had anything to offer beyond their 90's output.

We are now in prime revenue gathering territory for a lot of those 90's bands, where they've got a bunch of older fans who grew up with the music and now have decent jobs and will happily shell out big bucks for tickets.  Some of those bands have actually done some pretty cool stuff in recent times (Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains)... but plenty are happy to just cash in on the nostalgia and haven't really had anything new to offer in the last 20 years.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - It’s possible it has been abandoned. Now nobody wants to take it in nor kill it.

Steve- That’s an odd ball, cramps during workouts and it seems it wasn’t even a super hard workout. I hope you can figure that out.

I see you didn’t do much elevation earlier, have you been foam rolling? Perhaps there's some knot in there causing irritation.

Mark - yeah, in hindsight I should’ve just stood there at the beginning waiting for it to get bored and find another target.

Cinnamon - Woah, snakes are def. Scary! That was a super fast 10 miler, by the way.

Portugal is very nice. It ranks very high in safety which is to me one of the most important aspects.

Weather is pretty much perfect year around, I am yet to see extreme temperatures or uncomfortable days.

Food is great and the people here speak funny Portuguese.

JT - LOL yeah, I’m not a dog person so any dog in the perimeter is either 

a) a threat to my life if they’re big enough to bite into my inner thigh

b) an annoyance

Over time I’ve learned that when they’re wiggling their tails they’re in friendly mode so I don’t panic anymore. I’ve also learned that the big fluffy dogs are pretty much harmless creatures.

But I will cross the street or turn back if I spot a big athletic dog off the leash 100m ahead.

I’m not afraid of smaller dogs cause I know I can kick them into the stratosphere if they try to annoy me.

Lately I’ve also learned that it’s possible to rear naked choke certain dogs, though I hope I never have to put that into practice cause I’m not going to just put the dog to sleep.

Cats on the other hand are great animals and deserve to be praised.

Bands - Rammstein is great for in concert experience, I’m one of the most stoic persons I know and even I was flexing my muscles and jumping during some of their songs.

Running - I’ve found a nice park nearby, roughly 11 minutes running from here (2 minutes if you’re Mark)

It’s mostly flat and in between university buildings and a hospital. Almost nobody there, lots of green, paved path. PERFECT!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

IMO Rage are one of those bands that were very representative of a particular time period - in this case the mid to late 90's.  It's pretty hard to see the latest reunion tour as anything other than a cash grab, which is a little ironic.  Morello is one of the great guitar innovators and Brad Wilk is undoubtedly a very good drummer (not just anyone gets to play for Black Sabbath) but I honestly question whether Rage had anything to offer beyond their 90's output.

We are now in prime revenue gathering territory for a lot of those 90's bands, where they've got a bunch of older fans who grew up with the music and now have decent jobs and will happily shell out big bucks for tickets.  Some of those bands have actually done some pretty cool stuff in recent times (Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains)... but plenty are happy to just cash in on the nostalgia and haven't really had anything new to offer in the last 20 years.

Why should these  ‘90s bands be different from any other bands of any other time period? Everyone seems to keep touring, forever, regardless of whether their new music is any good or even if they have any. Either for the money or because they don’t know what else to do.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio no way that park would exist here. Dogs off leash everywhere. mark needs to slow his role and maybe stop being so fast.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's as if everything I was told as a kid is a lie. "Down with the man and authority" until we become old and don't like what you're doing and want to change the rules. Thankfully I've KEPT my disrespect for authority fully intact and embrace the abuse of power as a responsibility of those in a position of authority. The worst type of people to put in a position of power are the ones who want it.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Congrats on getting moved, and bummer about the dog issue. Is pepper spray not a thing in Portugal?

Steve - Nice progression in kilometerage.

Cinnamon - Nice week, killer Thursday in particular.

I'm pretty darn happy with my 5k workout from Wednesday, a slightly more difficult version (2:30 rest instead of 3:00 of one I absolutely bombed two weeks prior (largely not accounting for weather properly, and this one was decently cooler than mornings have been). This looks to show that I'm in PR shape, at least if temps are below 70F/21.1C, and maybe I'll even have a chance of breaking 18 in the fall.

Weekly for period: From: 06/27/2022 To 07/03/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  06/27 2 rabbits & 2 herons 12.25 19.72 01:40:42 08:13 05:06 515
                  06/28 5 deer (5 strides) & 2 turkeys 8.05 12.96 01:11:07 08:50 05:29 381
                  06/29 8x 1k @ 5k effort + 4x 200m hard 15.16 24.39 01:55:27 07:37 04:44 325
                  06/29 2 doves & one firing pin 4.05 6.52 00:33:29 08:16 05:08 190
                  06/30 2 rabbits, 2 herons, & 1 three-toed box turtle 10.01 16.11 01:28:58 08:53 05:31 420
                  07/01 4 deer (4 strides), 2 rabbits, & 1 hawk 11.00 17.71 01:31:28 08:19 05:10 466
                  07/01 Fiddling with the tall side of the PDC 5.00 8.05 00:43:40 08:44 05:25 207
                  07/02 4 herons, 3 Mississippi kites, & 1 hawk 15.05 24.22 02:05:52 08:22 05:12 446
                  07/03 3 yellow mud turtles & 1 heron 6.00 9.66 00:53:03 08:51 05:30 249

Total distance: 86.59mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

cinnamon girl

Well I thoroughly appreciated what Morello and Rage did (minus de la Rocha) with Prophets of Rage.

Their reuniting for the Public Service Announcement tour was supposed to be in 2020 but then Covid.

Their messages from the 90s are just as valid today, and to continue to try and reach people through music for change is a good approach.

I'll stop my Rage right here though 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well I thoroughly appreciated what Morello and Rage did (minus de la Rocha) with Prophets of Rage.

Their reuniting for the Public Service Announcement tour was supposed to be in 2020 but then Covid.

Their messages from the 90s are just as valid today, and to continue to try and reach people through music for change is a good approach.

I'll stop my Rage right here though 

The message has stayed the same. The people sending it out has changed.

now if only I could stop feeling like garbage and not wanting to run more than 2 miles a day I'd be less angry.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Why should these  ‘90s bands be different from any other bands of any other time period? Everyone seems to keep touring, forever, regardless of whether their new music is any good or even if they have any. Either for the money or because they don’t know what else to do.

They’re not, other than that people who grew up on their music are now in their 30s and 40s and often have more income at their disposal than they might’ve done in the past. Same thing that happened to the likes of U2 maybe 10 years or so ago.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - Congrats on getting moved, and bummer about the dog issue. Is pepper spray not a thing in Portugal?

Heh out of curiosity I checked that out, a permit is required and likely only granted to mailmen, delivery guys and the like.

I'd have no issues using a pepper spray designed for humans against an attacking dog.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Heh out of curiosity I checked that out, a permit is required and likely only granted to mailmen, delivery guys and the like. 

I'd have no issues using a pepper spray designed for humans against an attacking dog.

The first line is very "un-American". That's something a person could literally buy at a gas station or general store without a sideways glance.

As for the second, "been there, done that", which is why I asked.

Upcoming Races:

Many runners (and non-runners) in the US, especially women, carry pepper spray routinely. Like CK said, it is readily available here. The version designed for humans will also work on dogs. They do make a version designed more specifically to be used on dogs, which is actually lower in strength; less is needed since dogs have more sensitive noses.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Many runners (and non-runners) in the US, especially women, carry pepper spray routinely. Like CK said, it is readily available here. The version designed for humans will also work on dogs. They do make a version designed more specifically to be used on dogs, which is actually lower in strength; less is needed since dogs have more sensitive noses.

Also true for bear spray. But then again, those are 20x the size of the standard ones for two-legged predators.

Upcoming Races: