2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

cinnamon - Yep, that's around HMP for me, although maybe slightly slower after my recent races.  My workout did trend slightly faster than prescribed.

Mark - The ice is really the only dangerous weather we get, except the rare extreme wind event.  And only dangerous enough to potentially cause a graze or 2 (I hope).

RP - You are an absolute machine!

CK - Hope you sort out that strange breathing issue.  There's a guy Joe Rogan has on sometimes who is a breathing expert and some of the improvements you can make through breathing adjustments are incredible.  Another great week for you too.

Flavio - Hope it's nothing major.  I woke up overnight with a sore throat and headache, and the funny taste I had early on in Covid last time.  I feel better after getting up but it's enough to have me worried.  I was awake so long I worked out how much I'll lose on my flights if I don't go to Melbourne before consoling myself that I can just downgrade to the half...hopefully it gets no worse and doesn't cost me too much time.  If it turned out to be Covid again and was similar to last time, I won't be doing a marathon in 10.5 weeks.  Yep, I tend to always go to worst case scenario...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

ccoakley

DW, any thoughts on the women's marathon?  I believe in the past you had questions about Keira?  Her signing with Nike certainly doesn't help.

It seems like everyone's moved over here since I've been gone so.....

My post-covid recovery is still very much a work in progress.  There's just this background fatigue that refuses to go away.  I can sleep for 10 hrs and still struggle to wake up.  And anytime I overdo it either too hard a run or too late a night the recovery is 2-3 times what it used to be.  And now that I've essentially lost 2 months of running it's harder to tell what's covid and what's genuine loss of fitness.  But my desire to run is back so at least there's that.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Ian5

RP-Massive congrats on the 50,that's one of my targets for next year so may well be after some training advice.

Steve-Even if its covid and causes you to miss a week or 2 of training you can still be ready in 10 weeks with your current position.

DW-5k's are the hardest to pace,go out too quick and it hurts,too slow and you don't have the distance to make it up.

Pretty crappy 10 days or so for running,tough work week meant I only hit 32 last week and couldn't get out Monday,was hoping for 60 this week so will have to see how it goes.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

JT - Isn't it better to go into a race undertrained than overtrained?

Indeed it is, Keen-osabi. Indeed it is.

Steve: I hope you're doing ok and it's not covid. I just got notice that a lot of the people at the meeting in Austria have come down with covid. And I just got a sore throat. Wonderful....

mmerkle: Hope the 4-miler went well. It's sure has been hot this week.

Cinnamon: Very nice 8k tempo. Enjoy the races this weekend!  Not sure who to pick for the men's 5000: Jakob or Cheptegei....

Flavio: Also hope you're feeling ok. Any thoughts on Jakob getting beaten in the 1500? Women's race pretty much went as expected for the medals.

ccoakley: Covid recovery was a long road for me as well. I agree it can be hard to discern between lost fitness from just not running vs aftereffects of the virus. Good sign that you have the motivation to run again.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ian what 50 miler are you looking at? I have done at least 3 55k races (2 on this course/area) before attempting the 50.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Is it possible you’re tightening your chest due to anxiety or overexertion and that’s why you feel you can’t take a full breath in ?

RP - One thing to take into consideration is that people have very different ways to report pain and discomfort. 

I’m essentially a big baby and I’ll scream for everyone to hear at a minor discomfort. It’s possible I have a very low pain threshold, when it comes to physical pain.

Other people might be wincing in pain and they will go like : “It's mostly annoying and certainly "less-than-ideal”.”

Mark - No bands that I know.

Steve - Yeah, I wonder if we get a minor covid now every once in a while when we enter in contact with the virus again.

Caitlin - The exact same thing happened to me. I could run just the same pace, heart rate would be the same, however I lost all my muscular endurance.

The very first week back I think I ran like 15 miles and it was so difficult, I’d run 3 miles and be very sore.

JT - I expected more from Abel Kipsang, not sure he’s just too young and inexperienced or just not good in championships when they race 3 times in a week.

I’m happy to see Wightmann get it. From reading the Letsrun recap, it seems Jakob spent the 3rd lap fending off 3 challenges from Tim and that probably cost him the race.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Ian5

I haven't picked one yet.I've done a hilly 55k twice and a flat 55k once so I've a little experience. Long term goal is comrades in 2024,I'd love to do it next year but I have too much on already.

Ian what 50 miler are you looking at? I have done at least 3 55k races (2 on this course/area) before attempting the 50.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ian - Yep, if it's just a week or 2 and then I can ramp straight back up I'll be fine.  I'm just worried it's like last time when I had a week off then 3 weeks of very slow jogging with a high heart rate before ramping it back up again.  I may not have time for that.  But I did a decent workout last night and a recovery this morning, both in cold driving rain, and my energy was fine, just a sore throat and headache.

Flavio - It could be just a minor contact with Covid.  Who knows, last time was a slow burn over a few days before it hit me so all I can do is take it as it comes.

Caitlin - I hope you come right soon.  A desire to run is a good sign.  I guess it's a day to day prospect, which is very frustrating.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - hopefully nothing too serious and just another of the many bugs going around at the moment.  My brother in law has Covid and now my nephew does too so we're steering clear of them for a few days.  It's inevitable I'll catch it at some point but would be nice if that was in mid-late November after I'm done with races.

Keen - what JT said about under vs. overtraining.

Caitlin - at least you feel like running again!  Some folks have had pretty long roads back, others have had it a bit easier.  One of the NZ athletes at World Champs (Hamish Carson, think he's doing the 5000m this time) had a pretty rough comeback after Covid but he still managed to quality for World Champs so there's hope for us mortals I guess.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio this calf pain is ‘mostly annoying’ because it causes me to walk awkwardly. It’s also ‘less than ideal’ because I would like to get back to at least an hour long run this weekend. I think I’m ‘pain acclimated’ at this point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

cinnamon girl

JT - I wish I could be there tomorrow night - I'd be cheering for Beamish and Grijalva as I don't expect either will make it to Sunday.

Dave - how did your workout go?

Marky_Mark_17

JT - I wish I could be there tomorrow night - I'd be cheering for Beamish and Grijalva as I don't expect either will make it to Sunday.

In "everyone in NZ knows everyone" stories, one of the analysts in my team went to high school with Beamish.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Crushed it! 3x800: 6:25, 6:16, 6:09; 3x400: 6:00, 5:54, 5:51. Short reps, but still, gotta be happy with that.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Crushed it! 3x800: 6:25, 6:16, 6:09; 3x400: 6:00, 5:54, 5:51. Short reps, but still, gotta be happy with that.

Very nice!

Caitlin - good to see you back posting!  Re: Keira, I guess my thoughts are in the same line as before:

1) There are some things about her progression that are not surprising (someone who ran a low 16 minute 5K later running a 2:3x marathon) and some that are outliers (the rapid progression from there down to the 10 mile and marathon performances).

2) running is full of stories that seemed almost too good to be true, and later were found to be just that.  At the same time, to be an athlete of her caliber is to be an outlier, and so in that sense having an outlier progression is consistent.

3) I find it a bit surprising that she could go into the marathon significantly undertrained, go out too hard for the first 3-4 miles (faster than her marathon PR pace), and still run a pretty good race.   But again...athletes of her level are outliers.  

So...I dunno?

As for getting her autograph when she showed at the track last week - I think I've mentioned before that she trained with my running team back in 2013 when she lived locally.   Earlier this year my coach publicly stated his doubts as to how she got as fast as she is now.  So she was pretty stand-off ish when she shared the track, and I honestly don't blame her.  Plus....7 days out from an extremely high profile marathon that you haven't trained for....my thoughts would be elsewhere as well.

Steve - hope you feel better soon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Just got my corral assignment for Chicago—hey darkwave, did you get yours?
                                Any others else running it? I don’t see any on the race list, but not sure if anyone is being stealthy. 
                                I am in Corral D, but I just applied to move up to C based on my HM last month. I’m not sure whether those usually go through.

Dave