2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

ccoakley

DW, very interesting her former coach had such doubts.  As you probably know she's fairly local to me and I know a couple friend of a friend type people.  Her 'local' track is 1 mi from me (15-20 min driving from her) at least the one mentioned in the WP article.  It definitely has a too good to be true vibes to me but also when she would have had to start doping or whatever it seemed highly unlikely she'd reach this level so why?

Also, very happy you seem to be figuring things out.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

mmerkle

Short Race Report:

Pleasant Valley 4 miler for summer Twilight series. This was another out and back road course with rolling hills. This race was HOT, 90 degrees at the start line with the sun out. The course did have some shaded zones at least. Fair amount of downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back. Not quite sure how I managed a negative split since the longest and toughest hill was right after mile 3. Managed to break away and take the win after battling it out for 2.5 miles. Not much kick in me at the end, I was just fried.

Overall time 24:16 unofficial. Really wanted a sub 24, but it just wasn't meant to be today.

Splits (roughly): 5:54, 6:16, 5:57, 6:05 then another 4 seconds, some confusion between Garmin and markings, you get the idea.

One more race until I start the next marathon training cycle.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mmerkle wow. That’s FAST!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Short Race Report:

Pleasant Valley 4 miler for summer Twilight series. This was another out and back road course with rolling hills. This race was HOT, 90 degrees at the start line with the sun out. The course did have some shaded zones at least. Fair amount of downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back. Not quite sure how I managed a negative split since the longest and toughest hill was right after mile 3. Managed to break away and take the win after battling it out for 2.5 miles. Not much kick in me at the end, I was just fried.

Overall time 24:16 unofficial. Really wanted a sub 24, but it just wasn't meant to be today.

Splits (roughly): 5:54, 6:16, 5:57, 6:05 then another 4 seconds, some confusion between Garmin and markings, you get the idea.

One more race until I start the next marathon training cycle.

Very nice job!   I have to admit I'm both curious and somewhat impressed that you keep driving up to Westminster from Fairfax for weekday evening races.  Or are you up there for the summer?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Short Race Report:

Congrats, great work! With that weather - UGH. I guess this was in the evening - what time did it start? I have never done an evening race, I think it would be weird for me because I almost always run early morning. And I start getting ready for bed around 8:00 PM, lol. For people who run post-dinnertime races, what do you usually do food-wise? I am thinking I would have what I usually have for pre-morning-race breakfast, and the same amount of time in advance.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For people who run post-dinnertime races, what do you usually do food-wise? I am thinking I would have what I usually have for pre-morning-race breakfast, and the same amount of time in advance.

I dislike evening races because they mess up my sleep, but...I usually do my pre-race breakfast about 2-3 hours before the evening race (in that event, I have "dinner" for breakfast that morning).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyone interested in me starting a 2023 marathon thread?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We used to have marathon legends posting on here…Cal and Milkman..but….

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

For people who run post-dinnertime races, what do you usually do food-wise? I am thinking I would have what I usually have for pre-morning-race breakfast, and the same amount of time in advance.

I just have a snack mid-afternoon and eat dinner after the race - usually something light.  That said, I've not done more than a 5k at night so I don't know whether that would work for longer races.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Anyone interested in me starting a 2023 marathon thread?

You don’t think it’s a bit…too soon?

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You don’t think it’s a bit…too soon?

Probably, but I want to get the posters back who give me inspiration. 

This thread is The Waltons part 2

Carry on.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Probably, but I want to get the posters back who give me inspiration. 

This thread is The Waltons part 2

Carry on.

I barely just started up again and am having trouble with the ridiculous summer heat at the moment: it feels likes I'm having legit heart issues on every run, which is both scary and demotivating. My chest feels super tight, my easy runs are hitting 160 bpm (been checking when I stop running), and I'm getting lightheaded (I almost fell on my last run after getting a drink of water). I also had to walk on one of my standard 90 minute runs.

I assume it's just that I'm out of shape and not heat acclimated, and not actually something real. I'll be back posting in a couple of weeks assuming I get back in shape. But for now, it's the dead period for me as I spend at least the next 10 days trying to get back into the swing of things. Real training doesn't start for me until August, but I've just not been into this thread as much given how I feel physically. I'm sure I'll get there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac just remind yourself how you get injured each summer due to hard runs, and blame your upcoming child for your lack of desire to run hard. It’s kind of nice to just go run to run with no obligation.

does anyone have advice for Boston hotels? I need to make a reservation. Probably Saturday through Thursday. I’m concerned a rental home would cancel my reservation because “marathon weekend” pricing hasn’t been programmed into their schedules,  don’t want to miss out on a thousand bucks because I booked 10 months ahead of schedule.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

I did a couple 5k races in the evening. Had some peanut butter on toast 3 hours out (not my usual pre-race breakfast), and in both cases I actually had a McDonalds cheeseburger 60-90 mins beforehand because we stopped for the family to eat on the way. 

PBed both times so I think the cheeseburger is probably mandatory for evening races now.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I barely just started up again and am having trouble with the ridiculous summer heat at the moment: it feels likes I'm having legit heart issues on every run, which is both scary and demotivating. My chest feels super tight, my easy runs are hitting 160 bpm (been checking when I stop running), and I'm getting lightheaded (I almost fell on my last run after getting a drink of water). I also had to walk on one of my standard 90 minute runs.

I assume it's just that I'm out of shape and not heat acclimated, and not actually something real. I'll be back posting in a couple of weeks assuming I get back in shape. But for now, it's the dead period for me as I spend at least the next 10 days trying to get back into the swing of things. Real training doesn't start for me until August, but I've just not been into this thread as much given how I feel physically. I'm sure I'll get there.

Probably long covid issues.