2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Agree generally but...

I am in the American Development Corral at Chicago 

"For multiple reasons"...thanks for the clarification, Ms. Humility! And major congrats on that. Fortunately most of us mortals will never have to worry about this kind of dilemma.  Apart from that, the question of whether to run a marathon even though you are likely to have a subpar (or even outright shitty) day is still an interesting question. I think it's a very personal decision and depends on a variety of factors. We could probably have a whole thread on it. Generally I'll run it if I am healthy enough to finish it, and don't expect to make an injury worse (although that's a gray area that I've made questionable decisions on).

Dave

Ian5

Steve-Totally agree with the other re your cousin.That long run looked really good,without dredging up old arguments I read about but your marathon target looks pretty soft.

Dave-a 16 11 weeks our is a good place to crank it up from.

Darkwave-Great news that youre feeling a lot better about yoyr running,maybe put the feelers out to Chicago about miving back and see what they say.

Jmac-Good that your body is feeling better,hopefully over whatever was dragging you down.

Spent last night looking into Tokyo,no directs from my local airport so need to decide on where to change and how long for.

Managed to get out for just under 9 after work,felt really comfortable, which I'm happy about 2 days after a long run.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ian - yeah it has been done to death. I think most people who have done multiple marathons would have some tough stories about their first (except piwi) so I’m taking nothing for granted. 

My cold is getting worse, which means I’m getting grumpier by the minute. But then I think of the myriad issues that darkwave overcomes and I feel guilty. Should be fine in a few days.

Flavio - Melbourne is hot in summer for sure, but nowhere near being the oven of Australia!

darkwave - understandable dilemma. Would someone definitely get your spot if you didn’t run? If not, and you feel ready to do a race I think you should take the spot you earned.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I think most people who have done multiple marathons would have some tough stories about their first 

🙋‍♂️

Dave

cinnamon girl

Dave - well done 5k! And your last post made me smile. I enjoy posts that make me laugh or smile 

Mark - seems like all of your weeks start the same 'another big week . . . ' it must feel great to be strong enough to string these together week after week.

Flavio - where in Seville? I don't remember that much elevation gain there as posted in your runs but I only spent time along the river. Jealous of your vagabond life - AC or not.

JMac - I'm just south of the oregon border on the coast - moved here a year ago after a brief stint in southern New Mexico. There's no comparison, obviously. Clean air and water and surrounded by natural beauty.

Mikkey - competing against someone is your major motivation for running?

M: off
            T: 45 min +strides
            W: 5 x 1600 (6:06, 6:05, 6:07, 6:06, 6:04) w/2:15-2:30 jog rec
            T: 85 min
            F: off
            S: 10 mi
            S: 7 mi (8:16), 5 x 1 mi faster/easier (6:46/8:00, 6:47/8:09, 6:50/8:15, 6:31/8:28, 6:42), 2 mi c/d
            The paces were slower than what I expected for the harder effort but I guess I had walked over 8 miles to/from track meet Saturday, in addition to the 10 mi run. And it was 20 degrees warmer than I’m used to, so I guess it makes sense. I think I'm going to start slowing paces down and run more miles now. The weekend at Worlds was great. Loved the men’s 5000! I got teary when Luis and Nur hugged at the start of the race. My seat was on row 7 between turn 3 and 4 and it was so fucking cool to see them so close. We were all on our feet cheering the entire race. Loved it. 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - those are good news. To be fair the heart rate monitor can go wonky at times.

Fred - LOL good point. But even something like 6x800 is hard cause you may lose count of the laps.

Not all of us are wearing the Mark2000 skin that allows you to do more reps than prescribed (Altered Carbon reference)

DW - Life is very short, I suppose you can enjoy the perks of being fast.

Keen - 

Thank you for also being a nerd so I don’t feel alone!

It actually makes a lot of sense. It could be something like cinnamon triggering your respiratory system, or also digestion problems somehow affecting the quality of blood being pumped into the lungs.

We’ve spoken before how digestion is really the epicentre of our lives.

Re: the cross country track, maybe you can run a steeplechase by jumping over the cows?

Also Mikkey is butthurt cause the jokes are too posh now 😀

Steve - Ugh, I’m just like you. I’m being the grumpiest of all now fighting to have the air conditioner turned off when it’s not scorching hot so I don’t risk yet another throat infection.

Cinnamon - It's so great that you got to watch Worlds in person. It's a sight to behold to watch the elites fly by.

Those runs with elevation were in Portimão, in the beautiful Portuguese region of the Algarve.

I’ve just done my first run here in Sevilla by the river, just like you. It had 16m roughly 50feet elevation.

Is there any logic on why you run by time somedays and by distance others? Is it by time during the week and distance the weekends?

Mikkey - Have you been to Portugal yet? Seeing as Porto's major avenue is named after the military alliance between the UK and Portugal and the huge amount of British tourists and retired folk living there, I suppose there's a high chance you've been there already ☀️🏝

Running by time - Running by time has a great advantage on these hot days. If you’re not feeling it, you can just run slower and then you will run less.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ian - yeah it has been done to death. I think most people who have done multiple marathons would have some tough stories about their first (except piwi) so I’m taking nothing for granted. 

I'm on a bell curve. Marathons got faster and better for a while, but my last few have been terrible and terribly slow (compared to my shorter distance times, etc.)

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I'm on a bell curve. Marathons got faster and better for a while, but my last few have been terrible and terribly slow (compared to my shorter distance times, etc.)

Early on in a marathoning career, you can usually cut big chunks off your time with each one. But then you start to plateau and it gets much harder. In recent years it's been more of a sine wave for me; I tend to alternate good ones and shitty ones. It means I'm due for a good one at Chicago!

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The weekend at Worlds was great. Loved the men’s 5000! I got teary when Luis and Nur hugged at the start of the race. My seat was on row 7 between turn 3 and 4 and it was so fucking cool to see them so close. We were all on our feet cheering the entire race. Loved it. 

I surprisingly watched and enjoyed a lot of the Worlds and of course the shining race for me was the men’s 1500m final.    But there were loads of other good events (non running related) with Armand Duplantis breaking the pole vaulting record!  Which begs the question, how do you end up deciding that you want to be a pole vaulter?  It looks scary.

Flavio - I’ve never been to Portugal, but it looks beautiful!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I'm suspicious, Mikkeys been nice 

Jake Wightmans victory was awesome. Jakob redeemed himself in the 5000m.

Pole vault is interesting. Some of the vaulters are pretty built but you kinda need to be light as well.

No medals for NZ unfortunately.

I may have shed a tear when Luis and Nur showed affection to each other 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No medals for NZ unfortunately.

This is what happens when they train on a 390m track.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

That's more like it Mikkey 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cinnamon girl

oh for sure great watching Duplantis. happy guy! Also I have to say it was hard not to smile watching the final event of the mens decathlon the 1500  But i’m sure they were all just spent. When they asked the winner of the decathlon if all he wanted was a nap he said no all he wants is to drink! not sure if that got coverage or not but that was fun. Saturday I was thinking there should be mosh pits at track meets. I had been sitting for awhile watching events then an older couple of women sat next to me in their 70s probably. And all i was doing was sitting with my elbows on my knees and she told me to sit back so she could see the screen better she didn’t even ask nicely. other people were sitting just like me wtf. there is not a bad seat there!  i was in my head fuck you bitch but you don’t really say that to anyone. anyhow she spent most of her time on her fucking phone anyway. she kind of ruined my time on saturday. she didn’t even say thank you. i probably would have said fuck you if this was during the mens 5000 lol

There should be mosh pits at track meets.

Marky_Mark_17

This is what happens when they train on a 390m track.

The Aussie ones must be 380m then because Zoe Hobbs (NZ) set a new Oceania record for the 100m.

Not all of us are wearing the Mark2000 skin that allows you to do more reps than prescribed (Altered Carbon reference)

I have actually just started watching that show lol.  I was watching The 100 but then discovered that for some reason Netflix NZ doesn't have the last season (even though it came out a couple years ago).

Have a band playing on the infield! As long as it's not while the javelin is on.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

oh for sure great watching Duplantis. happy guy! Also I have to say it was hard not to smile watching the final event of the mens decathlon the 1500  But i’m sure they were all just spent. When they asked the winner of the decathlon if all he wanted was a nap he said no all he wants is to drink! not sure if that got coverage or not but that was fun. Saturday I was thinking there should be mosh pits at track meets. I had been sitting for awhile watching events then an older couple of women sat next to me in their 70s probably. And all i was doing was sitting with my elbows on my knees and she told me to sit back so she could see the screen better she didn’t even ask nicely. other people were sitting just like me wtf. there is not a bad seat there!  i was in my head fuck you bitch but you don’t really say that to anyone. anyhow she spent most of her time on her fucking phone anyway. she kind of ruined my time on saturday. she didn’t even say thank you. i probably would have said fuck you if this was during the mens 5000 lol

Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me!