2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - those 5K times for the kids are insane! What kind of race is this that it recruits that kind of talent? Is it some major regional race? Those kind of times indicate a kid who is definitely D1 talent, possibly national class type talent.

Cal - you always provide great feedback; the best feedback often stings a bit for the first 24 hours.

Caitlin - I have never actually jogged with my daughter! I'm always trying to squeeze it in around when she is being watched by others. I'd rather just quit than follow that path of pushing TWO kids. I also think long distance running is not that healthy, at least at the miles most of us run. Piwi is probably the only guy running pure health-based running.

RP - the "what is the purpose of this workout" is so important in running progress as it helps you build out your own schedules as needed without following a plan to a tee.

Flavio - I thought the same thing about Keen's warmup, but maybe that's what he needs! It's probably especially true if you aren't tapered: all of us know that feeling when we're running full weeks that we needs miles to warm up, whereas when tapered, sometimes 5 minutes is enough.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I clearly said I knew it was a wind up...but I'll always take a chance to defend my soft goal.

And that's why you're on the new list! If you can't help defend an obvious trolling attempt, you're in the club. We welcome you with open arms 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal - "CIM is a cheater course"

I object to this being on the trolling list. Factual statements are not trolling. Net downhill point to point marathons located within the Golden State are cheater courses. Revel Big Bear and CIM are practically the same race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

But I guess, Mikkey got offended anyway - by me, not mentioning him Smile. Mikkey, I still remember about our potential duel in Boston (btw, cannot see why yankees would reject you - no way that would happen) - no worries, it still keeps me partially motivated. Though, your training log is closed and that's an unfair advantage - I cannot see what you are doing Sad

Never been offended by anything you say as your posts always entertain….and extra kudos for not reading running books Smile  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other as fast as possible.

Yeah I’m still up for this Boston duel as that was the main reason why I’ve already booked flights and accommodation. One of the guys that I used to train with has run all of the Majors and Boston was his favourite…so I’m thinking that could be the perfect race to retire and then hang up my cheater shoes!  JT will be my coach and I’ll study closely how he trained and prepared for Boston…and then do the exact opposite. 

My training log isn’t open as I haven’t been running apart from the odd 5 miler with no Garmin. There’s been a couple of deaths in my family and have been back and forth to Belfast and been too distracted and I always need to be in the zone during a marathon cycle…so my BQ may end up being 3:06. Anyway good luck in 2 weeks time. 👍

Ian - You’re probably the first person who has the same opinion of Berlin as I have as it’s also my least favourite European marathon…my top would have to be Paris as I love France and the course/atmosphere was amazing…Cologne and Dublin was also amazing with great vibes in the city.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - It's just a race that's put on by a LRS, nothing "special" really. The course itself is really fast, and it's one of few in the state that offers prize money for top 3 for both sexes plus at least winners for masters - something like $2,200 in all. Not that the kids are eligible for that, I think.

My next 5k should have a similar draw - flat, fast, offers prize money. I'm certainly not fast enough to get any of that prize money (even if I won the race I wouldn't come close to the time gate for it), but I can at least try picking off people who went out too fast.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Ian5

Keen-That's a great race report and results.

Thought I'd start my taper with a 5k tonight,I do no speedwork at all so these tend to hurt. I went off too fast and got gradually slower,finishing in 18.54,about 1 minute faster than late May,there's another next week on a faster course but I don't know whether I'll do it or not yet.

It didn't have the top speed of Keens race but the depth is excellent,needed sub 18 to break the top 50.Next weeks is crazy fast,think last year the top 150 were under 17.

https://eprc.niftyentries.com/Results/Ellesmere-Port-5K-2022?ResultSetupId=80c0530d-69f1-42cc-b756-34fe97216a25

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - It's just a race that's put on by a LRS, nothing "special" really. The course itself is really fast, and it's one of few in the state that offers prize money for top 3 for both sexes plus at least winners for masters - something like $2,200 in all. Not that the kids are eligible for that, I think.

My next 5k should have a similar draw - flat, fast, offers prize money. I'm certainly not fast enough to get any of that prize money (even if I won the race I wouldn't come close to the time gate for it), but I can at least try picking off people who went out too fast.

That's really good for a 5k.  I know very few of those that offer prize money.  Generally means it should attract a decent field which normally helps everyone who is quick-ish to run better times.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Congratulations Steve! You've joined the easily trolled list. See below:

JT - "Kipchoge is a better runner than Bekele"

JMAC - "Downhill non-certified courses are legitimate for PRs"

Cal - "CIM is a cheater course"

Flavio - "Acai just isn't that good"

Steve - "Your real marathon goal is 3:15"

😂😂😂😂😂😂 Excellent!

I have sad news to report as I've learned today that the 10k race requires everyone to wear the race t-shirt on race day.

So Superman will stay home that day.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

I have sad news to report as I've learned today that the 10k race requires everyone to wear the race t-shirt on race day.

That's outrageous.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Whatever floats your boat.  I'd love nothing more than for you to be more right than me about my time, and taking the label of chief sandbagger (and the months/years of mocking).  Hopefully you don't retire a couple more times before the race and leave the thread 

Cal - Both you and Mikkey have always provided your own brand of encouragement, and if it makes others think then it's valuable.

Keen - Insanely fast for that age.

Flavio - Is there an appeals process for that shocking rule?

Gels - This has probably been done 1000 times, but I did some reading about the best gels today and I'm interested in some thoughts.  I use Endura because they're at every chemist and very cheap.  The reviews don't have them in the top 10, and I've found some of the ingredients they use to get the nice flavours are somewhat wasted and don't help with absorption.  I'm looking at Maurten which I know is the favourite of a few here.  The reviews suggest they are very smooth, not strong flavoured and easy on the stomach.  If they cost more then so be it - we're not talking much money here and I know if I cramp with 5km to go because I used a cheap gel, I'll wish I'd paid any amount.

So that's basically decided - does anyone here use the caffeine version?  The science suggests they don't give you extra energy and can reduce the perception of effort and help with focus.  Each Maurten has 1.5 times the amount of caffeine as an espresso.  6 of those in a race seems like an awful lot of caffeine.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What is with you guys running these crazy 5Ks?? I think there is only 1 race I've ever done that at fast and it is because NYRR pays huge prize money (for a 5K). Otherwise, I'd say I almsot never run a 5K where even the top 5 crack 17, let alone top 150!

Keen-That's a great race report and results.

Thought I'd start my taper with a 5k tonight,I do no speedwork at all so these tend to hurt. I went off too fast and got gradually slower,finishing in 18.54,about 1 minute faster than late May,there's another next week on a faster course but I don't know whether I'll do it or not yet.

It didn't have the top speed of Keens race but the depth is excellent,needed sub 18 to break the top 50.Next weeks is crazy fast,think last year the top 150 were under 17.

https://eprc.niftyentries.com/Results/Ellesmere-Port-5K-2022?ResultSetupId=80c0530d-69f1-42cc-b756-34fe97216a25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - what's your stomach level in races? You know I'm at probably the bottom of this list so I'm very picky with gels. For that reason, I don't use caffeine. Also: I have yet to stop for a Porta Potty in a marathon and I think caffeine would end that streak!

Anyway I went with Maurten because it's by far the easiest on the stomach for me, but I wouldn't buy into the hype for the sake of it. It's more important you find something you like, especially flavor AND consistency wise (the latter seemingly more important to most folks), that won't make you want to puke when you're shoving one down at mile 20.

ETA: I think most people who use the caffeine ones alternate with non-caffeine throughout the race. I drink a lot of coffee and even if I had an iron stomach, I'd probably only take 2 or 3 of those.

Ian5

Jmac-I got my numbers slightly wrong,sub 17 would have just missed out on 180th,even sub 15 barely scrapes top 30.A lot of races here are put on by local clubs,last nights was very cheap,no medal or tshirt just people out to run fast,same as next weeks.here are the results when it was run in April

https://runcheshire.niftyentries.com/Results/Mid-Cheshire-5k-Spring-2022#

Gels-I wanted to try Maurten but they're expensive so I picked some up on the course at Boston and kept them,glad I didn't try them as I did on a long run a few weeks ago,and they seemed to sit on my stomach and didn't feel great.I use High 5 aqua,just like a liquid so goes down well.Mean to try the SIS beta but wary as I don't like the normal SIS gels.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - "Chemist"? I presume that's what we would a pharmacy in the States.
                              I've used Maurten before and do like them, but they're not my favorite. They don't have a flavor at all, just a generic citrus-like sweetness. Texture similar to chewed jell-o, if that makes sense.
                              Science in Sport are what I use. They have their "standard" ones and a higher-performing one called Beta Fuel. Both are more of a liquid than any other gel out there, very easy on the stomach. They are larger volume than others, though, and most pockets on running shorts won't fit them properly.

I've used caffeinated gels in races before, but it's been so long since I've done that in a race in which I wasn't sick I can't really recall any specific effects. I will say that I'd alternate between caffeinated and non-caffeinated gels. Maybe a caffeinated one before the race (it takes a solid hour or so for it to really hit peak concentration in the body), another at ~1 hour, and another at hour ~2. Standard gels in between.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

CalBears

Cal - Both you and Mikkey have always provided your own brand of encouragement, and if it makes others think then it's valuable.

Mikkey is definitely an old school. I came to RWOL in 2011 and by then most of the veterans (or main entertainers, soul crashers, training plans "advisors") were gone. But Mikkey was there, pre-2010 - so, he was lucky to experience that. I think people back then were less experienced in online interaction and that was the reason for all the entertainment and drama. And memories. That's why I hate "good job" stuff - it just doesn't help me to return back to the boards.

Luckily, I had some kind of great experience in 2013-2016, last years of RWOL - with 40-50 guys commenting regularly. There was some drama too - not to the extent of pre-2010, but still - people were pretty open and direct, and it also helped that many of us meet at the races like Boston, Chicago or NY - it easier to be less polite when you know people and they know you Smile We also had great interactions between threads - there were sub 2:40, sub 2:50, sub 3:00 and sub 3:10 (and yes, there was sub 3:20 too - but that was way too slow for us Smile Ha-ha!

I miss those times - no BS, there was a lot of talk about totally different stuff not related to New Zealand Smile Ha-ha

Almost all people from those threads are on Strava only now. It's hard to add something new to running - basically, it's like a teacher's job - every year is almost the same.  Just different participants. But teachers are paid for their work. Here is totally volunteers Smile

I hope I fee the energy again one day to comment on people's training. Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile