2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Ian5

Jmac-I've paid to go hospitality at Chicago,not something I've done before buy I like the sound of free food before and after,private toilet and gear check,also get to meet the winners after.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark/Steve - LOL thanks for the condolences. I’ve seen races like this before.

Back in Porto Alegre, Brazil the football club races also required this. It’s cause the football crowd is a bit rowdy and having a t-shirt in the wrong color can have dire consequences. 

Also probably cause of whoever is sponsoring the t-shirts.

Keen - Not only do the Kiwis call a pharmacist a chemist, they probably pronounce that “kee-mist”

Cal - wait till you read one of Mark’s race reports, it’s always a class about Kiwi geography 😁

Dave - that’s an hilarious picture. As an ex-coffeeholic I rarely drink coffee these days, but I refuse to drink decaf. Just no point in doing that. Next they’re gonna ask me to drink “vegetable milk”...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

RP/Mikkey/Cal: If any/all of you run Boston I'll make the drive up. I can get a head start on drinking while watching the race. 

Mikkey: Honored to coach you for Boston. It will be a tough regimen: come January you'll have to cut out all the cocaine and hard alcohol, and no excursions into sheep herds during runs. Seriously though, my Boston experience was race-wise pretty awful, partly because of the nature of the course, partly because it was so hot that year. My main advice would be to get your legs used to downhill running so they are ready for the pounding.

JMac: Kenny's not helping himself entering all these majors and not delivering. I was a bit disappointed that Kipchoge is running Berlin again and not trying a hilly course like NYC. Will be interesting to see how he does in Boston and NYC, if he does run them eventually.

Kiwis: as a real chemist I'm downright offended being lumped in with a pill pusher. 

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

RP/Mikkey/Cal: If any/all of you run Boston I'll make the drive up. I can get a head start on drinking while watching the race. 

Mikkey: Honored to coach you for Boston. It will be a tough regimen: come January you'll have to cut out all the cocaine and hard alcohol, and no excursions into sheep herds during runs. Seriously though, my Boston experience was race-wise pretty awful, partly because of the nature of the course, partly because it was so hot that year. My main advice would be to get your legs used to downhill running so they are ready for the pounding.

That’s great and you’re welcome to stay at mine if you want a place to crash for the night. 👍

And yeah I’m definitely going to prepare differently with hard hilly runs and also planning a lot of tune up races between Jan -April…a more race into shape approach!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

https://www.baa.org/127th-boston-marathon-registration-reminder 

$235 entrance fee which works out at about $9 per mile!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I remember many years ago some people at my work were SHOCKED that you have to PAY for running 26.2 miles 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I remember many years ago some people at my work were SHOCKED that you have to PAY for running 26.2 miles 

My wife still is.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ditto.  I'm thinking I'll need to head up there for 2023 - maybe run the 5K and then stay for the marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ian5

Darkwave-What are your current thoughts on racing Chicago?

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I remember being SHOCKED at the entrance fee for NYC back in 2016 as London is so cheap…it was £39 in 2019!

I’m going to set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for my Boston registration and any donations from the RunningAhead community will be much appreciated.

Mr MattM

You missed a lot of drama pre 2011….I joined Runnersworld in 2008 with a marathon PR of 3:46 and the first person to piss me off was this guy called squirrel (Rovatti, MattM, Longboat will remember) he was sooo arrogant after running a 2:58 and we had some proper altercations….but to cut a long story short…he ended up eating my dust on a regular basis. 

Anyway, let’s do this race and it would be cool to have some of the other previous posters like Strugglr/Andres etc. 👍

Ha ha!  Yes, I do remember... I still follow Squirrel on Strava and he's still getting after it.  He's Zwifting now...

be curious; not judgmental

Mr MattM

I remember being SHOCKED at the entrance fee for NYC back in 2016 as London is so cheap…it was £39 in 2019!

I’m going to set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for my Boston registration and any donations from the RunningAhead community will be much appreciated.

I got you.  PayPal, Venmo, or CashApp?

be curious; not judgmental

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's going to cost you a lot of money with how strong USD is lately! I remember when it was almost 2 to 1 for GBP/USD. Looks like it's at its lowest in almost 40 years.

JT - yeah I really thought Bekele would step it up recently but still just bad performance after bad performance. I think he's done, and Kipchoge maybe has a year or two left. I can't imagine Eliud continuing much after he realizes he isn't at the top of the marathoning world.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Resident Historian

You missed a lot of drama pre 2011….I joined Runnersworld in 2008 with a marathon PR of 3:46 and the first person to piss me off was this guy called squirrel (Rovatti, MattM, Longboat will remember) he was sooo arrogant after running a 2:58 and we had some proper altercations….but to cut a long story short…he ended up eating my dust on a regular basis. 

Anyway, let’s do this race and it would be cool to have some of the other previous posters like Strugglr/Andres etc. 👍

I also remember Squirrel; sometimes I'd see a new post and groan because it was obviously going to piss people off. I do remember ikkey (in his old K D handle) flaming him a few times.

Mikkey I was going to say use my US address for Boston registration, save yourself some $... but it's only $10 difference now (used to be $50+).

I enjoy the chatter here on "English" (US vs. NZ/UK)  and imperial/metric measures. As i was born in England (just up the road from Mikkey, I think), lived mostly in Canada then the US, with two 4 year stints in Europe and Asia, I understand both "languages", even the cricket stuff.
                              Steve: Loved the comments about "chemist" and "in front of middle stump".

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

That’s great and you’re welcome to stay at mine if you want a place to crash for the night. 👍

And yeah I’m definitely going to prepare differently with hard hilly runs and also planning a lot of tune up races between Jan -April…a more race into shape approach!

I might take you up on that, especially if the post-race festivities really get rolling!

Darkwave: Would be cool if you made it as well. For the 5k is there any qualification needed, or is it just a regular race?

JMac: I remember reading that Kipchoge said he'd like to move to ultras after he retires from the marathon. That would be pretty cool as I think he could demolish some flat longer distance records like the 100k or 100 miles on a track. It will be interesting to see if he can drop his WR even lower next month in Berlin.

BTW, you asked about what's next for me race-wise; if things really start clicking I might look at Houston, otherwise it will probably be a spring marathon, not sure what at this point. Even Houston might be tricky since we're going to Bucharest for Christmas this year (my wife's family).

2:52:16 (2018)