2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Ian5

Steve-I thought your courses measured short?

What is going on here???  It's definitely my target pace for the first half (32km), then we'll see where I am.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mr MattM

Question for the group - has anyone done a super long cooldown after a race to add miles?

I once ran about 5 miles after a finishing marathon.

No, wait.  That was a 50k.  Never mind.

be curious; not judgmental

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - I like your run title "Say hi to a stranger or argue with people on the internet".  When I was walking into work from my car this morning, a car stopped in front of me for a turn with the back windows right down (it was not warm this morning) and 3 kids in their pajamas singing really loud and calling out and waving to me.  Such a minor moment but I was laughing and smiling for the next 15 minutes.  It's the little things sometimes.  Sorry to hear about your work issues, I hope it doesn't wreck Boston.

Ian - Heh, my first half will be 11km long and second half will be 11km short.  I'm not sure if you were posting in February/March when I had yet another marathon cancelled and I was agonising over which race to enter.  There were a couple of small races on certified courses but the advice was to go for a big race and I'm really glad I did.  And there's no chance of a short course in Melbourne.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I found a before and after photos of Flavios weight gain. He still looks good

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Crikey, no wonder he took 9 and a half hours to finish a 10km

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Question for the group - has anyone done a super long cooldown after a race to add miles? I am running a 10K this Saturday, but cannot run Sunday-Monday at a minimum due to travel. I wanted to add miles after my 10K to a) make up for that a bit and b) run home from the race.

Yes.  I did an extra 10k after a 10k race.  It was a miserable grind.  Do not recommend.  Relax and don't worry about a couple of days off.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Crikey, no wonder he took 9 and a half hours to finish a 10km

My thoughts exactly.

Steve - I'm getting all your goals mixed up! For some reason, I thought you were starting at 3:20 and then trying to work down to 3:15 if you feel good, but the real goal is 3:20.

Mr Matt - 50K to me seems terrible. It's like a 4M race. All the pain of a 5K, but just tack on another 30%. Pass.

I will not pursue the extra miles, and instead just get on a subway with that wonderful post race smell in a singlet. I'll fit right in with some of the vagrants on the train.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I'm getting all your goals mixed up! For some reason, I thought you were starting at 3:20 and then trying to work down to 3:15 if you feel good, but the real goal is 3:20.

To be honest, I really don't know.  The most recent episode of the Running Rogue podcast had tips for first time marathoners and one of them was to work out a target time to work out the pace to start at, but not a goal time because you really don't know how your body will feel after racing 35km until you get there.  That pretty much sums up where I'm coming from, although the podcast seemed to be aimed at less experienced runners who weren't on their third marathon training cycle.  I'd love to hit the target pace and feel good enough in the last 10km to shave some seconds off 3:20.  But everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

But everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

This is a good summary of my first marathon.

Anyways I was initially a little disappointed on Sunday's race result given training over the last 3 months but in hindsight think the weather and warm temps played a bigger part than I realised.  My legs were way too fresh this morning and I managed 5 x 4 min hard / 1 min jog, averaging a faster pace for the efforts than I did on Sunday.  When I get cooked by the temperature in a race, I normally feel fresh very soon afterwards like that, I guess simply because I wasn't really hitting top gear in the race.

On the bright side, there is no chance it will be that warm in Wellington in early Sept although it could be windy.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Relax and don't worry about a couple of days off.

Probably the best advice so far.

Dave

This is a good summary of my nearly everyone’s first marathon.

fyp

Dave

Resident Historian

Question for the group - has anyone done a super long cooldown after a race to add miles? I am running a 10K this Saturday, but cannot run Sunday-Monday at a minimum due to travel. I wanted to add miles after my 10K to a) make up for that a bit and b) run home from the race.

The additional miles post-10K could be around 9 miles, so it's not insignificant.

I once did ~11 miles after a half. I had dropped down to the half when I got injured 5 weeks out from the marathon, missed 2 weeks, and didn't think I could run the full well..  

On race day I was still concerned with reinjury, so ran the half less (~15sec/mile) than flat out, and finished well. Waited for clubmates to come by, then jumped back on the marathon second loop to pace a friend for a few miles. Turned out to be 11 miles, at ~1 min/mi slower than the half. The running wasn't too difficult, although I was sore the next day.

I doubt I could do the same if the half had been all-out.
                          And yes, I was wondering why I dropped down to the half... 

I've done my long run the day after 5k or 10k or 15k races many times. Works well for me if the LR is all easy, (it ensures it stays all easy.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Dave I hope you're able to just relax with these competitive runners. I don't think I'd enjoy a competitive relay just because the one here is such hard running to be competitive about. I always look at relays as fun runs. Maybe I need to be on a more competitive team.

They are competitive, but there are two guys on the team I already know, and they do not stop talking about what a blast it is. And most others I've talked to who have done it say the same. So we'll see! I did question my judgement from the very moment I agreed to it.

About a week ago I got my leg assignments, and yesterday I finally took a look at them. Based on a very rough guesstimate of start time for each:

~8:30 PM - 5 miles, flat

~4:30 AM - 4.2 miles, flat

~12:30 PM - 7 miles. 300 ft gain

So, two in the dark and one at high noon. At least the first two should be relatively easy runs; the third is going to suck. Fortunately we'll be close to the coast by then so it should not be super warm.

I think JMac is probably right on pacing, I will likely shoot for roughly HMP or better. The overall team goal is about a 7:15 avg pace, so I'll try to be around 7:00ish to avoid being the slacker. But cinnamon is probably even more right that my legs will tell me what to do. Especially in the last leg.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of slightly abbreviated workout to do this week. Should be tomorrow since the relay starts Friday night. Maybe something like 3-4 x 1-mile tempo intervals. Maybe something shorter, IDK. Last week I didn't decide till I left my house.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

They are competitive, but there are two guys on the team I already know, and they do not stop talking about what a blast it is. And most others I've talked to who have done it say the same. So we'll see! I did question my judgement from the very moment I agreed to it.

Honestly these relay events can be competitive and very fun at the same time.  National Road Relays is pretty much the biggest event on the running calendar in NZ.  I've done it a couple times and am really looking forward to this year's one in October, my club is a reasonable shot at a medal in the Masters grade.  But even when we were running Senior Men and got our asses kicked in the A grade it was still great fun.  The event moves around but this year's course is "the" relays course (Christchurch to Akaroa) which is also fun as the leg selection is quite tactical... having the 8 fastest runners doesn't guarantee you'll win unless you put them on the right legs.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I’ve never done extra miles after a race. Only after pacing.  I honestly believe you could do it and ‘it’s all mental’ really comes into play. The first 2-3 will be miserable and then you’ll relax and be 1.5 from a turn around.  Unless you’re really pressed for time post-race I’d totally do it because long run life.  I’d also understand ‘yeah I’m good without ONE long run this cycle’ because we all have lives.

steve I walked past a woman who said ‘are you the new graphic design employee’ the second time we passed each other.  The first time I said hi to people and she was one. Nope. I’m not that guy. You’re still a nice person and thanks for asking. It was a walk. I was arguing with people in my head. I think. 
                                i had a back seat full of kids wave and say HI to me on my Sunday run. I waved and said hi back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22