2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

dave Your last run will be on 5 hours of broken sleep. It might also be getting hotter than 4am. I can understand you being concerned about the 4am run. No sun and no breakfast. The part people can't realize is sleeping in a van isn't comfortable. Sleeping in a van when people have to get in/out, grab stuff from their bag, want to chat since they just finished running, want to cheer on their runner, etc. (oh yeah, don't forget the other vans who don't care if you're sleeping because their teammate needs to be cheered on.) It becomes hard to sleep at 10pm or even midnight with this happening. For my Relay in June I woke up at the normal 5-5:30am Friday, and had my last run about an hour before you. I think I finished around 4:30am. I tried falling asleep in the van, but there were two runners after me and the van had slept while I ran so they were kind of waking up. I eventually blacked out for 45 minutes. 15 minutes into the black out a friend called me to ask where he was supposed to be going. So the third leg is just when you've not had much sleep and you might have to will yourself into competitive mode to get up that hill.

my one piece of advice is to get sleep early. It is priceless. For my Ragnar I took the road relay experience and put myself to bed at 8pm. I just went into the tent and laid there until I eventually got tired. I had a 2:30am wake up call and I already know what it is like to wake up for a second run when your body wants to sleep.

I have zero expectations of sleeping in the van. I can’t sleep in moving vehicles under the best of circumstances. We’ll have two ~4 hr breaks when the other van is running. They’ll be roughly 10pm-2am and 6-10am. Those exchange areas have some kind of big open fields where people can lie down. That’s my only hope of catching any shuteye. But I am generally a shitty sleeper even in a comfy bed, so I’m not too optimistic of anything more than some brief dozing.

Dave

cinnamon girl

Ian - Barcelona and Seville are absolutely on my list. I had been registered for Barcelona .. then COVID. I'm definitely taking into consideration your and Mikkey's opinions on Berlin. I just realized Antwerp is soon! There's so many posts I miss stuff. I need to go back and re-read pages to see how you're feeling going into taper.

Mmerkle - I agree and race the 10k, and like you said switch the weeks around and do long run the weekend before. I wouldn't run more than 2 hr/15-16 mi the weekend before the 10k but I'm not that strong. You still have plenty of weeks for long runs. I refer to that plan as well for ideas. I like a lot in it. What marathon are you running? It's not on page 1. Jesus if I can't keep up, I should just quit trying. 

JMac - I moved to the California coast a couple hours south of the Oregon border a year ago. love it. Dipped my legs in the Pacific after my workout today. Hard to beat that - well the Mediterranean would but that's not in the cards for me. That would be a super cool way for you to retire, by getting special treatment at NYC. I hope it works out! I remember Slammin mentioning he had connections.

Dave - I hope you're with a fun group - part of the fun is not sleeping! I probably missed it - but have you ran one of these long relays before? I recommend beef jerky and gummy bears and beer.

Dave - I hope you're with a fun group - part of the fun is not sleeping! I probably missed it - but have you ran one of these long relays before? I recommend beef jerky and gummy bears and beer.

Cinnamon - I’ve never done anything like it.. I know two of the guys in my van from my regular running group; they’re good guys and they keep telling me the whole thing is a blast.

You must live not too far from Redwoods National Park. I haven’t made it there yet but it’s on my list! We just moved out to the PNW 7 years ago, although my wife is an OR native.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ian - Doing it off marathon training is absolutely doable. This was also rather early in my running career and I didn't have anywhere near the aerobic base I do now.
          I made it a bit over 34 miles. To this day it's the hottest race I've ever done, and with the most "interesting" weather. 6pm start, 98F/36.6C, super humid. A storm rolled in for a few hours in the middle with strong winds and we were even under a tornado watch as well - I was literally checking out the backyards of houses that butted up against the park in case a tornado showed up because there really wouldn't have been anywhere else to go. For those not familiar with tornado watches it means conditions are favorable for one to form, though it hasn't yet happened.

My plan was to just get water every 5k (two laps) and largely keep going. The heat/humidity convinced me to carry a handheld and I'd drink what I could each lap, walk through the aid station each time (refill/refuel as I wanted/needed) and keep going. I didn't do much outright stopping/walking overall, but did walk the next-to-last lap with the guy who won it. He was one lap ahead of what I could possibly run with the time remaining, so there was no benefit to running on my own vs walking and chatting with this guy.

Good times.

With a good base/decent training and similar weather conditions, 1 min/mi slower than marathon pace would likely be quite doable for a 6 hour.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cinnamon - that's awesome on location. I do see myself at some point wanting to get out of NYC completely - and something like the PNW would do it. I loved my trip up there is summer and may have to do it a few more times soon.

Dave - I did one Ragnar, but it was one of the camping ones. It was a light rain almost the entire time and in the 50s. It's one of those things where you look back on it very fondly even though during it, there was some misery. We weren't exactly outdoors people except for 1 guy so we really struggled to keep water out of our tents. Also being soaking wet in those temperatures and then trying to find a private place to change was tough.

Having said that, going out for a run at 4 am in the middle of this light rain with a headlamp into the woods was probably hands down the coolest experience I've ever had running. We also though were not a serious group: I just easy jogged all of my segments. We were there to have fun, not run a race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

Cinnamon-I'm feeling pretty good, I'm happy with my build up so just need to get through the next couple of weeks.

How are race numbers where you guys are?

In the UK lots of races are well down on participants,is it the same story all over?

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

In the UK lots of races are well down on participants,is it the same story all over?

It seems participation is still a bit down at many races around here as well. Total number of races seems more or less back to normal, although there are a few previously-annual races which have not come back.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree, definitely fewer participants but equal races. The easy way for me to tell is that NYRR races that used to sell out weeks in advance are now only selling out a night or two before. Even Boston this year had no extra time added even though qualifying periods were extended significantly.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Most race entries seem to be down around 40% on last year, which in turn was down 40% on pre-COVID levels.

For example Omaha HM had 510 runners back in March, vs. 951 in Dec 2020, vs. 1,333 in Dec 2019.  Similar sort of theme at many other races.

Quite sad really as many of these events had spent a number of years building up their participant base.  It's been a particularly bad winter here for colds and flus etc. (not just covid) which hasn't helped so I'm hoping numbers might start to bounce back in spring races.

Most races are still around, a few have disappeared but a few new ones seem to have appeared as well.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Ian5

Interesting to see it seems to be the same all over then.

There's races here that used to sell out but now you can enter a lot closer,even the day before.

Sad to see as a couple of race companies have gone bust here.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

mmerkle

Mmerkle - I agree and race the 10k, and like you said switch the weeks around and do long run the weekend before. I wouldn't run more than 2 hr/15-16 mi the weekend before the 10k but I'm not that strong. You still have plenty of weeks for long runs. I refer to that plan as well for ideas. I like a lot in it. What marathon are you running? It's not on page 1. Jesus if I can't keep up, I should just quit trying. 

Marky_Mark: Thanks for the input.

Running Problem: It's a race on a trail that I'm familiar with. It's not too technical, part of the trail is paved. I'd say it's neither a fast nor a slow course.

cinnamon girl: I'm aiming for the NCR marathon in Maryland. I wasn't feeling an October marathon, and I've had two great half marathons on that same trail. It's not a dirt trail and it's not technical at all. It is a USATF certified course. The surface is hard to explain, but they call it "stone dust", if you know what is meant by that.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry mmerkle, been a bit delinquent with the front page. I added you to it.

Also, good luck to Cal this weekend! 3:07:43 is my prediction for you based on absolutely nothing.

Fred - I know you only posted here a couple of times but if you are perusing, looking like a typical summer morning tomorrow for us. 140 TDP, full sunshine, no wind. It's too bad the race isn't next weekend as it looks like that beautiful September weather was going to arrive: 120 TDP at the same time next Saturday! The TDP chart says cut off 10 seconds per mile. I'll start with that and see how it goes. That puts my goal at 35:XX.

cinnamon girl

JMac - you can finally add me to page 1  Valencia 12/4. Goal: Mug #5. <edit: I forgot to say please!

As for relays, my strong preference is doing them as an Ultra. Entirely different and more impactful experience being in the van with your entire team for the race, twice the distance. It's a trip. I've done them both ways and by far the Ultra has been the most memorable. Bonds are made. But both ways can be fun!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Added.

4 Moose Mugs. Just insane. You're definitely the most "accomplished" runner on here!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - you can finally add me to page 1  Valencia 12/4. Goal: Mug #5. <edit: I forgot to say please!

Cinnamon - You probably didn’t know that I ran Valencia last December and I’ll have to be honest and say that it was my least favourite destination marathon. Maybe it was to do with the covid scaremongering as literally everyone was wearing masks inside and outside which was bizarre to witness as it’s a lot more relaxed in the UK. No variety with restaurants and generally just a negative vibe. Just my opinion of course which I thought you’d like to know seeing as we both agreed how amazing NYC!

But, it’s a great fast honest marathon course…ideal temps with a very competitive field and I guarantee you won’t be running solo!  The expo building looks amazing (City of Arts and Science) and worth paying to check it out after you’ve picked your bib up. 👍

Cal - Good luck and based on absolutely nothing I’m predicting 3:02:54. I believe in you. 

Milkman - Good luck and based on absolutely nothing I’m predicting that a cone is going to be placed in the wrong position and you run a 33:42.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)